Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoIn Season

People are starting to like shows about chefs.

JLUVANIME

[1]Apr 19, 2006
    • level: 6
    Lately there's been a lot of reality cookiing shows like Hell's Kitchen, Top Chef, and that show where the celebrities cook. Plus the Food channel is getting a reality show about chefs. Anyone else notice this?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ryflyguy

[2]Apr 22, 2006
    • level: 14
    There's reality shows for everything!lol, ur rite

tec2030

[3]Apr 22, 2006
    • level: 11
    Well, in my opinion. I think that Top Chef is one of the better Chef reality shows, and another would be The Next Food Netowrk Star.

Vedran_Kurama

[4]Apr 23, 2006
    • level: 16
    Top Chef to me is better than Hell's Kitchen.

tec2030

[5]Apr 23, 2006
    • level: 11
    It is way better than hells kitchen! Top Chef shows off the Chefs abilities in all areas of the kitchen. It is a true Chef competiton.

jkdowney

[6]Apr 25, 2006
    • level: 31
    Bravo is putting together a lot of great reality series - Top Chef, Project Runway, The Real Housewives of Orange County, Queer Eye... It's become one of my favorite channels!

JLUVANIME

[7]Apr 26, 2006
    • level: 6
    At first, I didn't know what Bravo was. I turned right past it.

lonedriftr

[8]Apr 27, 2006
    • level: 5

I wouldn't say Top Chef is better than Hell's Kitchen, they're using two different skillsets. While Hell's Kitchen worked with some skill and creativity it was more a work the line bootcamp. They didn't have to come up with their own menus and dishes and impress with skill/creativity/taste/etc. Difference is even in the name, a kitchen vs a chef, one you just think more of cooking and the other about being a chef... although these days people are throwing that term around a little too loosely. I personally lack the creativity to even dream about competing on a show like Top Chef but I think given the chance I could rawk on Hell's Kitchen.

rcncrx2

[9]Apr 28, 2006
    • level: 1
    seriously, are any of you cooks, or chefs? nothing on top chef proves to be that any of them would be able to handle the stress of a real kitchen. so they win on crativity, and knife skills. that doesn't mean **** when it is 7 and you have a line out the door, and you are running like a chicken with your head cut off. does it? I like both, but you can not compare the two, they are different animals all together...

boromirbeauty

[10]May 5, 2006
    • level: 61
    I'm starting to love watching the Food Network as well, but only because Top Chef caught my interest first.

edmorita

[11]May 21, 2006
    • level: 22

tec2030 wrote:
    It is way better than hells kitchen! Top Chef shows off the Chefs abilities in all areas of the kitchen. It is a true Chef competiton.

Yeah it's a competition, but it is not a true refection of what a chef goes through on any given day in a real working kitchen. I'm a chef by trade, and in my opinion, the only two compeditors worth hiring are Harold and Leeanne. From what I have seen of the contestans skills on the show, they are the only two who could hack it in the kitchen.

The one thing that I kind of don't like about all these cooking shows is that they are making chefs into celebrities. Don't get me wrong, the guys on the food network are talented chefs who have worked hard to get where they are, and deserve all the fame that they got. However, chefs in the industry are starting to get inflated heads because of it. Just because Mario is on Iron Chef doesn't make Joe Schmo at the hot new restaurant in town some kind of celebrity. Lets not forget that cooking is bart of the service industry, and as such is concidered a blue collar job. It's only because of the raise in popularity of cooking shows that society suddenly views the profession with a certain degree of status.

zukone

[12]May 27, 2006
    • level: 8

rcncrx2 wrote:
    seriously, are any of you cooks, or chefs? nothing on top chef proves to be that any of them would be able to handle the stress of a real kitchen. so they win on crativity, and knife skills. that doesn't mean **** when it is 7 and you have a line out the door, and you are running like a chicken with your head cut off. does it? I like both, but you can not compare the two, they are different animals all together...

I agree that they are completely different animals. Aside from the cameras and competition, one thing about Top Chef that brings the pressure on is the fact that they have to create and cook at the same time. This often occurs with ingredients that they need to make sense of before they can even get into motion within a kitchen or situation they may not be very familiar with.

starwolf99

[13]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 12
    I like both "Top Chef" and "Hell's Kitchen", but they stress different aspects about the food service business.  With "Top Chef", it's about creating the best food for all customers.  With "Hell's Kitchen", it's about how to run the kitchen in all of its gritty detail.  Gordon Ramsay immediately stresses that the food service business as a whole (1) is not very glamorous, (2) is not easy to manage, (3) is not even profitable.  It is in this area of business that the lowest paying jobs in the U.S. are found.

Troopoleon8897

[14]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 5
    If  you guys like both "Top Chef" & "Hell's Kitchen", I suggest you try "Iron Chef America" on The Food Network , Sundays & Thursdays @ 9pm...It's kinda like both shows mixed together with certain twists like the main ingrediant and that they are in direct competion with each other...an of corse Alton Brown's Commentary rules as well...

starwolf99

[15]Aug 24, 2006
    • level: 12
    Alton Brown is great.  I'm a huge fan of his shows, including "Feasting on Asphalt".  I see "Iron Chef: America", but it cannot be considered a cross between "Hell's Kitchen" and "Top Chef".  There is no elimination.  You either win or you don't in one episode.  What does made Iron Chef better than the two previous shows combined is that you actually see the cooking process in detail as innovative ingredients and cooking methods are displayed.