We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoBetween Seasons

"Restaurant Wars" (Season Five) Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Jan 21, 2009
    • level: 73
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Restaurant Wars."

"Conversation is food for the soul." –Mexican Proverb

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BrainMan820

[2]Jan 21, 2009
    • level: 16

I really liked how they based the challenge around Restaurant Wars for the Quickfire. It was definitely an innovative way that allowed the chefs to pick the winner and have a good idea on how to start things.

I preferred Sahana's restaurant, if only because I can never forgive undercooked food. Health issues always trump other issues, and there's no getting around that. That being sad, Radhika, much as I loved her, deserved to go over Carla. This is Top Chef, and being a chef is about being a leader, and Radhika was just not ready for that. I can appreciate her stepping up, but Jamie and Jeff did have more experience with that, and was more extroverted, than her. I am disappointed with Carla because she usually makes such tasty desserts, and I really wish they would have stuck with one dessert. I'm confounded by the need to do two of something if it's not part of the challenge. Never sacrifice taste for presentation, was something Collichio said in Season 2.

Stefan's desserts were good, I am perfectly fine with him winning this challenge, even though I think Fabio, for front of the house work, should have won. When it's Restaurant Wars, the service is part of the venue. I don't get what happened with Hosea and Leah, and I really don't care. It seemed more a distraction than adding drama.

Next week, some all-stars from past seasons show up. That should be pretty fun.

danharr

[3]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 46
    And the story remains the same restaurant wars the person out front eats it if things go bad. I agree that since Radika didn't take charge she had to go but Carla is on borrowed time as the judges said at least one dessert should've been right I'm thinking the cake sad. Nice to see Stephan live up to the bravado it's been awhile and congrats on Fabio doing the charming Italian thing good episode.

wingsabre

[4]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 13
    I was wrong about Stephan, I didn't even expect that he would win. Perhaps I should eat crow, he can cook it.

Quickfire: No one wins with salmon on Top Chef. There's rare exceptions, but those only happen with the least expected individual (Michael).

Leah: Instead of macking with Hosea, Leah should be kissing Stephan right now cuz he saved her.

Hosea: You know something's going to happen when a guys keeps saying, "I can't let this happen, I'm not going to let this happen." Odds are, he's thinking about it happening every minute, every hour, every day.

Fabio: Unlike Radhika, he was able to offer good service, train the servers, and make a dish, albeit a cheep egg roll that's not even good compared to a frozen egg roll from the box. Should have done a pasta dish, with Asian flavors. Mario Batali had the flexability to do that.

Stephan: I don't order dessert, but I guess I should more. I would have chosen the other team, since dessert isn't realty that important.

Radhika: I would have let her go too. She's the one in charge, and she that means she's the chef, and she should have expedited the kitchen, not do the front of house thing. The problem was, she spent too much time inside the kitchen, and not enough time up front, so she didn't train the help. In hind sight, yes she should have told Jeff to do front of the house. She also should have made a dish.

Carla: If it doesn't taste good then fix it. Don't start asking people, does this taste right? Does it need fixing? If you think it needs fixing, you don't need others to confirm it. It's like Arian a few episodes back asking people, "is this too sweet?" If you think it's too sweet, then it's too sweet. BTW, Radhika was too indecisive and nice to tell Carla her food sucked.

Jeff: Make a dish, and then do front of the house stuff. Don't be selfish when it comes to restaurant war. Everyone knows the lesbians on top chef don't make front of the house work. After all, would anyone want to order from Lisa? Plus, Radhika was all nervous, and Carla's partly crazy and funny in the good way, but not for a front of the house. Although, maybe she would have been better showing the love out front than in the back.

Jamie: At least she didn't make the scallop this time, Jeff did that. Bonus points for making a vegetarian dish, although this was like her 4th soup dish.
    Edited on 01/24/2009 1:47am
    Edited 2 total times.

goa103

[5]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 21

BrainMan820 wrote:
    That being sad, Radhika, much as I loved her, deserved to go over Carla. This is Top Chef, and being a chef is about being a leader, and Radhika was just not ready for that. I can appreciate her stepping up, but Jamie and Jeff did have more experience with that, and was more extroverted, than her.

I think Rad became too confident after winning the Quickfire Challenge and made the mistake of becoming the restaurant owner. In fact I was really surprised by her introverted personality, it was like watching a scallop crawling back to her shell

BrainMan820 wrote:
    I am disappointed with Carla because she usually makes such tasty desserts, and I really wish they would have stuck with one dessert. I'm confounded by the need to do two of something if it's not part of the challenge. Never sacrifice taste for presentation, was something Collichio said in Season 2.

Does season 2 worth the watch ? I only discovered Top Chef with season 5. About Carla let's not forget the freezer was broken and that's probably why her desserts weren't successful.

BrainMan820 wrote:
    Stefan's desserts were good, I am perfectly fine with him winning this challenge, even though I think Fabio, for front of the house work, should have won. When it's Restaurant Wars, the service is part of the venue.

I think I would have chosen both ! The desserts looked delicious and quite original when Fabio's presentation was flawless. He looked so great in his black and white suit. I think this episode was also a prequel to the finale because I'm pretty sure Stefan or Fabio will win Top Chef. As much as I appreciate the other chefs I don't think they stand a chance.

BrainMan820 wrote:
    I don't get what happened with Hosea and Leah, and I really don't care. It seemed more a distraction than adding drama.

Well imagine being separated from your lover for weeks and you'll understand what happened to them. Being in love is a strength but also a weakness and it clearly showed in this episode. They both felt so desperate for affection that they made the mistake of kissing each other, and more happened I'm sure. I mean if I was Hosea on the sofa and Leah on the top

goa103

[6]Jan 24, 2009

danharr wrote:
    […] congrats on Fabio doing the charming Italian thing good episode.

Yes his performance was quite impressive but not as good as the Gail's Bridal Shower one. I still can't believe how he charmed all these beautiful women only with a few words. Now I watch Top Chef both for improving my cooking creativity but also to learn a few tips about seduction

goa103

[7]Jan 24, 2009

wingsabre wrote:
    I was wrong about Stephan, I didn't even expect that he would win. Perhaps I should eat crow, he can cook it.

Come on from the very beginning it's obvious Stefan will make it to the finale !

wingsabre wrote:
    Quickfire: No one wins with salmon on Top Chef. There's rare exceptions, but those only happen with the least expected individual (Michael).

Well Jeff's grilled salmon seemed quite good and I don't really understand what's wrong with it. It look really tasty.

wingsabre wrote:
    Leah: Instead of macking with Hosea, Leah should be kissing Stephan right now cuz he saved her.

Yes it seems only Fabio appreciates Stefan but I think most of them owe him one. I mean he's often the strong link in a team. Moreover even if his personality is hard to handle I think a real chef should be able to manage anyone, like a business manager. However it seems like an impossible task as even Jamie wasn't able to communicate with him. He's arrogant but I like him anyway.

wingsabre wrote:
    Hosea: You know something's going to happen when a guys keeps saying, "I can't let this happen, I'm not going to let this happen." Odds are, he's thinking about it happening every minute, every hour, every day.

You're a woman right ? A man doesn't think about a beautiful woman every minute, hour or day. Every single seconds of our time is dedicated to her ! It's even more true when you have so much in common with an other person, I mean the whole competition and cooking karma. I think they should broke up with their respective partners, even if I don't know them, and open a restaurant called Shrimp on Canapé (Damn where are the smileys ?).

wingsabre wrote:
    Stephan: I don't order dessert, but I guess I should more. I would have chosen the other team, since dessert isn't realty that important.

A good dessert is true magic ! I mean he made the judges almost forgot about Leah's terrible fish.

wingsabre wrote:
    Radhika: I would have let her go too. She's the one in charge, and she that means she's the chef, and she should have expedited the kitchen, not do the front of house thing. The problem was, she spent too much time inside the kitchen, and not enough time up front, so she didn't train the help. In hind sight, yes she should have told Jeff to do front of the house. She also should have made a dish.

Yes picking Jeff was the obvious choice but like I said previously I think her Quickfire win made her over confident. When the guests entered the scene I think she realized how shy she was and decided to hide in the kitchen. However I'm glad she won the Quickfire because I think she's a great chef and a beautiful woman. In fact I shouldn't say it but I even had a dream about her ! Nothing to be ashamed of but I would definitely cook her some nice French meals. Rad forever

wingsabre wrote:
    Carla: If it doesn't taste good then fix it. Don't start asking people, does this taste right? Does it need fixing? If you think it needs fixing, you don't need others to confirm it. It's like Arian a few episodes back asking people, "is this too sweet?" If you think it's too sweet, then it's too sweet. BTW, Radhika was too indecisive and nice to tell Carla her food sucked.

I kind of disagree because sometimes it's hard to tell if something tastes good or bad, specially after tasting it a dozen of times. So I think it's important to ask other people their opinion but let's not forget it's also essential to be confident enough. As often it's all about balancing your skills. For example Eugene made the mistake of only trusting himself. You can't just think you know better than anyone. Stefan is a bit like that but he has the talent to back it up. However in a competition context I don't think it's such a good thing to trust others, I mean seeing how Hosea and Leah threw Ariane under the bus...

wingsabre wrote:
    Jeff: Make a dish, and then do front of the house stuff. Don't be selfish when it comes to restaurant war. Everyone knows the lesbians on top chef don't make front of the house work. After all, would anyone want to order from Lisa? Plus, Radhika was all nervous, and Carla's partly crazy and funny in the good way, but not for a front of the house. Although, maybe she would have been better showing the love out front than in the back.

Just to clarify things. My lovely Rad is not a lesbian, she's definitely not part of the whole Team Rainbow madness

wingsabre

[8]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 13
    goa103 wrote:

wingsabre wrote:

Come on from the very beginning it's obvious Stefan will make it to the finale !

I know he can cook, but when it comes to team challenges, the difficult chef can be the weakest link. In this challenge, Stephan really took a step back and didn't get involved with the whole menu planning. During the challenge, it looked like he mainly spent time away from others and didn't exude negative energy. Opposite of what I thought would have happened. If I were to run a restaurant I would hire Jeff over Stephan any day. It's important to have someone work well with others. There's a reason why Stephan owns a catering business. He works well alone.

goa103 wrote:

wingsabre wrote:

Well Jeff's grilled salmon seemed quite good and I don't really understand what's wrong with it. It look really tasty.

Texture. The salmon was mealy, meaning the quality of the protein was not that great. Plus it's not very original. I've seen something like that at CoCos.

goa103 wrote:

wingsabre wrote:

You're a woman right ? A man doesn't think about a beautiful woman every minute, hour or day. Every single seconds of our time is dedicated to her ! It's even more true when you have so much in common with an other person, I mean the whole competition and cooking karma. I think they should broke up with their respective partners, even if I don't know them, and open a restaurant called Shrimp on Canapé (Damn where are the smileys ?).

I'm a man, and I stand by what I said. It also applies to Leah. I've seen this so many times, and very commonly in children and dieters. You know, "I'm not gonna take that cookie, because I'll get fat. I'm not going to let that happen, but the cookie's oh so good, and crumbly and yummy... I'm not going to eat that cookie, (a few minutes later) but I'll just pick it up, and smell it, and put it back down. Maybe one small bite won't hurt, no one will know. What the heck I've already had one, a second one won't hurt." What happened is if Hosea is repeating, "I'm not going to let this happen" over and over, it means he's thinking about letting it happen more often than not.

goa103 wrote:
    wingsabre wrote:

I kind of disagree because sometimes it's hard to tell if something tastes good or bad, specially after tasting it a dozen of times. So I think it's important to ask other people their opinion but let's not forget it's also essential to be confident enough. As often it's all about balancing your skills. For example Eugene made the mistake of only trusting himself. You can't just think you know better than anyone. Stefan is a bit like that but he has the talent to back it up. However in a competition context I don't think it's such a good thing to trust others, I mean seeing how Hosea and Leah threw Ariane under the bus...

Yeah, you can start liking something once you've tasted it a bunch of times, but truthfully, if you think it taste bad, it's going to taste bad. It's especially the case when even Radhika said, it's ok, and didn't go "wow it's so good"

goa103 wrote:

Just to clarify things. My lovely Rad is not a lesbian, she's definitely not part of the whole Team Rainbow madness

I know Radhika's not part of team rainbow. I was talking about Jamie. Radhika played the roll of Cliff this season during Restaurant Wars.

boromirbeauty

[9]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 61
    I'm completely happy with who got sent home. I think she should have bit the bullet last week. It was a toss up for me who I liked least this week. Hosea/Leah or Radika. In the end, Radika was the big let down.
    I can't wait for next week to see who else is coming back.

dbcsdragon

[10]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 12

I really liked Radhika. She has been one of my favorites all along but sadly I agree that she deserved to go home. Sunset Lounge should have lost and Leah should have left. The judges sent HER food back. But Fabio and Stefan were the saving graces of the team. Both of them should have won and Leah should be kissing BOTH of their feet. Carla did poorly as well, but the disappointing dessert was only partially her fault. Stefan had the same freezer problems but he still managed. She knew with plenty of time that the food was not going to set. She could've/would've reworked the dish had Radhika not said that is was fine. Didn't Tre go home in season 3 because he allowed bad food to leave.

At judges table, Carla readily admitted the dessert's failings, but Radhika attempted to excuse everything. She didn't throw anyone under the bus, but she couldn't admit that she failed. Also I had to laugh because Carla seemed to have to put her foot in her mouth with the whole love thing. I think that she meant that it was an enjoyable experience being on the show overall, but that's not how it came out and then between her and the judges they kept digging a deeper and more rediculous hole. Gotta love her.

countrymuzluvr1

[11]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 12
    I like the episode. I'm happy with who got sent home, and I think the drama between Leah and Hosea was blown way out of proportion. They kissed, so what. If they had shown everyone what kind of professionals they were by either not doing anything or saying "Hey, we kissed but let's not let it affect our team dynamic." I think I would have been happier about the episode.