Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoBetween Seasons

"Season 3 Finale (1)" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Sep 25, 2007
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Finale (1)."

"Talk amongst yourselves… " –Linda Richman
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

aspettig

[2]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 7

I'm really not sure about how I feel about Brian making it to the finale. Obviously, he's an accomplished chef, but I feel that he's the most unremarkable (i.e., "forgettable") chef from any of the three seasons. I was always surprised to see him around every week, thinking to myself, "Oh, yeah... I forgot about him." I really wish that CJ was still there, instead.

I loved the Quickfire from this episode. Very creative... Very unique, in my opinion.

wingsabre

[3]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 13
    lol, I told my roommate that Brian lost today's top chef elimination and he said, "Brian who?"

MegaDragonGod

[4]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 4
    Is it just me or Brian really looked like Stephen? Well, at least Hung made it to the Finale, I'm really happy since I'm Vietnamese too, but I must say - I hate his attitude. Yes, technically he's the best and so on, but does he have to be so ... don't even know what word to use . But I wonder what that "OHH! " stand for:question Don't tell me all 12 eliminated chefs will be back and they will fight 5VS5VS5 .

Vital_Shot

[5]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 25
    I really hope Casey does well in the second part of the finale. I've already set my DVR up to record it. Hung is a great chef, but I don't really like his attitude; he's a little too conceited for me. I wish all of them the best of luck, and I give them all props for making it this far.

BrainMan820

[6]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 16

I guess it seems I'm the only Brian fan around here...

Honestly, I thought the Quickfire wasn't a good way to impress Eric Ripert. I mean, serving on a stump. I just don't think it's realistic and won't help the chefs much. Casey's dish was the best, though. Won't deny her that.

I will deny her the Elimination though. Undercooked meat is just something I can never abide. That would make a customer leave in disgust and never come back. Elk's a lean meat, and it's true that it's not going to be cooked as much (I don't like the meat personally, because I don't have my meat cooked lower then medium. I've gotten sick before) because it will dry out. Still, if Ripert said it was too rare for him, I would have immediately booted her.

Dale impressed me, his dish was positively breathtaking. I'm glad to say he impressed me, but it's unfortunate to mention that it wasn't until now that he did it.

Hung's dish disappointed me. As soon as he said "I'm going to cook for the judges and not the cowboys" I was turned off. In a restaurant, you don't have judges, but you do have customers, and customers are necessary to satisfy. Like Collichio said, I was turned off by Hung's lack of persona. I have no idea who Hung the chef is, and I've seen him win challenges. I see Hung the cocky badass who runs around nearly stabbing people in the kitchen. That's just about it.

First off, I think Brian is a great showman. He put on his cowboy hat, was comfortable speaking, and burned sage for it's scent. I thought his dish was complicated, and he'd have done better to just leave the cheese off the plate. I was disappointed with his answer at Judge's Table: We knew who Brian was. Brian the Showman, along with Hung the Badass, Dale the dark horse, and Casey, who I don't believe should win.

I'm rooting for Dale now, but now I'm watching the finale mostly to see the old chefs returning as sous-chefs, at least barring any stupid twists. I'm guessing (if we assume as it's been previously), we get Brian, Sara, CJ, Howie, Tre, and Sara N., pick two and choose. It'll be fun to see them again.

wingsabre

[7]Sep 27, 2007
    I'm not a big fan of rare meat, but some people do like their red meat black and blue. I guess Casey liked it like that.

So if things goes like they have, I see Casey winning. I would like Hung to win, but I just don't see him winning. Dale will be the dark horse, and will win if he's lucky and doesn't screw up. Come to think about it, the team with Howie on it will loose, and the team with Tre will do well.

I have a feeling that they may do something other than pick two and make 5 dishes. Since there's 3 finalist, and some of them just haven't cooked with the past chefs, it might make more sense for them to pair up with one sous chef, and cook 3 or 4 dishes.

gabfan31

[8]Sep 28, 2007
    • level: 100
    I knew from the previews that this was going to be some goofy, outdoorsy stuff, but come one! Okay, cooking on a stump next to a river was silly, but it's just a QuickFire, no big deal, do it and move on. But cooking elk in a stable for rodeo stars? Give me a break! This Elimination Challenge was too gimicky for the semi-finals, in my not so humble opinion.

Setting this aside, I was pleased to see Casey win the Quickfire, but what's up with Brian? Sure, trout isn't one of the best fish served in restaurants, but he still should have had a clue as to what he was making before he started firing it! I'm sure cooking on a stump over butane frazzled him, but the way he folded under pressure there was a clear indication that he did not have his head sufficiently in the game to win. Hung's arrogance continues to astonish. He's done over five minutes early, so he's too busy patting himself on the back for his awesomeness to finish the dish with a key ingredient?! Hung, you are NOT as good as you think you are if you're going to make rookie mistakes like that! Even a lowly line cook like me knows that you has to taste your dish! As for Dale, does he really think Eric Ripert wants the only taste in his mouth when he eats trout to be cayenne pepper?! I'm sorry, but everything does not taste better with more pepper! It reminds me of my friends from my college days who thought everything was edible at the school cafeteria with enough hot sauce- and if you like hot sauce, and that's all you end up tasting, maybe it's true. I don't think Chef Ripert usually has that problem with trout, though.

As for the Elimination Challenge, I'll give my two cents worth a little later when I have more time.

boromirbeauty

[9]Sep 28, 2007
    • level: 61
    BrainMan820 wrote:

I guess it seems I'm the only Brian fan around here

No, I liked Brian as well. I really liked how he was so upbeat and fun, not to mention he really could cook (how else would he have made it so far).
    I wasn't too happy with the first part of the finale, not just because Brian lost, but because I didn't enjoy the quickfire nor did I like Hung's attitude towards the cowboy/cowgirls. His comment about how he's not going to cook for them reminded me of Tiffani's comment about cooking for kids. I didn't like either comment.

Lucky for me I've also liked Casey so I'll be rooting for her to win at this point.
    Edited on 09/28/2007 7:00am

MegaDragonGod

[10]Sep 28, 2007
    Well, I'm not a Brian fan, but I think that he's a good chef and he really deserves more (I'm talking about people saying things like "who's Brian anyway" and things like that).

I think that they could have made that quickfire a little bit more interesting by making them catch trouts on their own, than give them trouts that had been prepared for them =)).

I was really surprised that Brian was eliminated, I thought it would be Casey for sure, since her mean was "too rare".

Oh yeah, I forgot about Hung's words about cooking for the judges. That also disappointed me, since for me (even though I'm not a chef), cooking all about having fun (since I enjoy cooking) and bringing "happiness" to people who eat what I make, no matter who that person is. A true chef must always do his/her best to make the best for their customers, no matter who they are - poor or rich, judges or just guests, ally or enemy.

wingsabre

[11]Sep 29, 2007
    Yeah, i'm not too happy about Hung's performance, but I think Hung did the right thing. Keep in mind this is a competition, and Hung chose to cook for the judges for a good reason. Brian chose to cook for everyone and look where that got him. Judges don't care for how much is on their plate, or how big their steak is, they care for quality. I think it's different from when Tiffany looked down on kids, since she refused to come to that level. We've seen Hung go to that level, and when it's the finale, you want to impress the judges more than the crowd.

It's interesting though, Hung could have cooked the elk like deer meat. I've seen plenty Vietnamese restaurant with deer on the menu. They don't taste bad at all. He could have sauted something great.

aspettig

[12]Oct 2, 2007
    Does anyone know if there will be a chat on this site following the finale tomorrow night?

MegaDragonGod

[13]Oct 3, 2007
    aspettig wrote:
    Does anyone know if there will be a chat on this site following the finale tomorrow night?

I guess there should be

wingsabre wrote:
    It's interesting though, Hung could have cooked the elk like deer meat. I've seen plenty Vietnamese restaurant with deer on the menu. They don't taste bad at all. He could have sauted something great.

You might be right, but maybe Hung never had a chance to work with deer meat. There are Vietnamese chefs who have never worked with dog meat, snake, snail, silk cocoons and other stuff, so there's nothing strange Hung never using deer meat.

aspettig

[14]Oct 3, 2007

gabfan31 wrote:
    Hung's arrogance continues to astonish. He's done over five minutes early, so he's too busy patting himself on the back for his awesomeness to finish the dish with a key ingredient?! Hung, you are NOT as good as you think you are if you're going to make rookie mistakes like that!

I agree: Hung's hubris is just over-the-top, and it has been from the beginning. I believe that it's going to turn out to be the fatal flaw for him tonight. He had no doubt whatsoever that he was going to make it to the finals, and I'm sure that he's just as confident that he's going to win.

A major part of the challenges is to make the customer happy, and he's said several times that he cooks with only the judges in mind. If he sees a challenge as "beneath him", he completely disregards his clientele and only tries to impress the judges.

edtajchman

[15]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 11
    Hung wins, in your face people. haahhahahah.

starwolf99

[16]Oct 16, 2007
    • level: 12
    edtajchman wrote:
    Hung wins, in your face people. haahhahahah.

What separated his performance in the first half from that of the second half was that he was no longer restricted. Unlike Tiffany, Hung kept his mouth shut in front of the judges when it came to criticizing the customers. Also, Hung knows how to play the game. He knew that it came down to impressing the judges rather than the cowboys since it was clear that the judges didn't take the cowboys' comments into account.
    I remember Anthony Bourdain's blog about Brian's performance which included Eric Ripert later ripping his dish. For Brian, it wasn't a case of pleasing everybody--his dish just wasn't liked by the guest judge.