Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoBetween Seasons

"Season 3 Finale (2)" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Finale (2)."

"Talk amongst yourselves… " –Linda Richman
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

aspettig

[2]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 7

I originally posted this under the Finale Part 1 thread, but I suppose that it really belongs here:

Does anyone know if there will be a chat on this site following the finale tomorrow night?

If not, I think that there should be.

By the way, I hope that Casey wins. Sure, Hung is the better technical chef, but Casey always has her clientele in mind. I would be really surprised if Dale won.

MegaDragonGod

[3]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 4
    Yup, most people would be surprised if Dale won, but that's not impossible. All of them are great chefs and all of them deserve to win. I really hate the fact that I'll have to wait until tomorrow to be able to download TopChef .

edtajchman

[4]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 11
    Hung wins!!!, Top Chef keeps it real, I'll be watching next season.

gymfreak831

[5]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 9
    edtajchman wrote:

are you effin joking?!?!?!?!? thats some bull-ish right there. whatev... one bad winner out of 3 isnt so bad... i wanted a girl to win.

starwolf99

[6]Oct 4, 2007
    • level: 12
    gymfreak831 wrote:
    edtajchman wrote:

are you effin joking?!?!?!?!? thats some bull-ish right there. whatev... one bad winner out of 3 isnt so bad... i wanted a girl to win.

But the girl sucked compared to Dale and Hung.
    Hung picked a bad week to quit amphetamines.
    Having said that, I was impressed with how they did the finale. Having professionals as sous-chefs for prep work was a nice touch, though Todd English looked like a cross between Joaquin Phoenix's Johnny Cash ("Walk the Line") and Christian Bale's Patrick Bateman ("American Psycho").
    Hung was really lucky to pair with Sara. If he was paired with CJ or Howie, he wouldn't have won. Good communication was key. Having the finale live was mixed only that Casey saw herself mess up to the point in which she knew she was out of the competition long before the final decision. It was pretty much a 2-man final.
    It looked like it came down to serving a relatively boring desert versus serving an inedible dish. Hung was the right choice.

BrainMan820

[8]Oct 4, 2007
    • level: 16

And here we reach the end of the show. I didn't want Hung to win, I've said that from the getgo. He's a talented chef, that much is undeniable, but I have a hard time getting over his carelessness in the kitchen. I find that integral to a chef. It isn't enough to plate well, one can't be causing careless accidents and not fixing them.

I liked the twist of serving only three courses, and the surprise dish at the end. With three contestants, three five-course meals in one day would definitely make my belt loose a few notches. In addition, because of the smaller crowd, I was okay with one sous-chef at a time. Wasn't too thrilled with their choices though. I've a strong dislike for both Rocco and Michelle, and I had no idea who Todd English was. I would have rather seen less talented chefs to show the contestants leadership potential.

I was, however, thrilled to see the past contestants come, and to see Brian on the judge's table. I wondered where Brian was when I didn't see him with the other three. I think cooking his way to the finale earned him that spot at judge's table.

Poor Casey. She was a cool character, calm as hell when cooking on a stump or in an airplane galley, now got frazzled the one time she didn't want it. Her dishes were the weakest; there's no doubt about that. She's still talented, and she redeemed herself on a personal note for me, even a little. I like her simpler dishes more then her complex ones, and I'd eat at her restaurant given the chance.

My main man Dale shined. I thought that lamb was brilliant, and now I want to make it. I'm not sure how bad that lobster gnocchi was; I usually don't mind if things are a little overcooked since I hate it more when things are too rare. I think it's a little harsh to call it inedible; I think undesirable was better.

Hung pulled out all the stops, and I was actually thrilled to see him try dessert. I too, think a four course meal should end in dessert. It was uninspired (I've made dozens of chocolate cakes with raspberries) and completely disjointed, but there was nothing wrong with the food itself.

When it came down to it, it was indeed between Hung and Dale. Dale was more in the extremes, with that scallop and that lamb outshining anything Hung made versus the lobster which was worse then anything Hung (or Casey) made. I think I would have disagreed and given it to Dale (unless the lobster was really bad) just because the point was "blow me away!" Hung didn't do that as much as Dale did.

cjs123

[9]Oct 4, 2007

I liked the idea of a live announcement, but didn't see the point of having everybody there in the audience and not talking with them at all;especially the other chefs who came back--I don't even recall seeing them, it was just said that they were there.Would have been nice if they spoke to some members of the audience (especially the chefs) rather than just have them way in the background, then have the winner announced, the confetti dropped, then the show's over. Seemed like a great build-up that wound up as sort of a dud. Still, looking foward to another season.

MegaDragonGod

[10]Oct 5, 2007
    Well, Casey messed things up. Just like I said - anything can happen. Well, I am happy that Hung's won, but again - his dishes lacked acid, for how long will this continue?

Picking chocolate cake as a desert was as same as playing safe and I agree that playing safe is something noone should do when they get this far.

I wanna try all those dishes!!!!!

Yup, it was a bad idea not talking to the audience.

Vital_Shot

[11]Oct 6, 2007
    • level: 25
    Mm, they pretty much based the judging on the dishes in the last challenge. Casey did an excellent job through out the whole season, and she should be proud, and so should Dale. I didn't really like Hung, but if he cooked good food I can't help that.

sparkie_ac

[12]Oct 6, 2007
    • level: 18
    cjs123 wrote:

I liked the idea of a live announcement, but didn't see the point of having everybody there in the audience and not talking with them at all;especially the other chefs who came back--I don't even recall seeing them, it was just said that they were there.Would have been nice if they spoke to some members of the audience (especially the chefs) rather than just have them way in the background, then have the winner announced, the confetti dropped, then the show's over. Seemed like a great build-up that wound up as sort of a dud. Still, looking foward to another season.

I agree with the audience not being a bigger part! Like interviewing as your said!!!!

I love that Hung won, he was my pick even when he was being as jerk. Hung was Harold (winner from season1) pick to win the show and that is cool that he won. It was cool that Marcel as a friend was there to cheer for him and I bet it was a little pay back for Marcel since he took second place last year. I would have been really upset if Dale won. I wish Casey would have showed better but it just prove the point that while she had some good days she was not the chef that people thought.
    Myfavorite part of the whole show was the guest chefs to help on day one, that was so sweet and unexpected! Loved that! And I thought it was cool that they had Brain at the table to be served with the judges as a guest, that was nice.

wingsabre

[13]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 13
    I'm actually happy with the fact that they didn't bring in the audience. It would have been distracting to go from audience to show to audience back and forth. Also, if they integrated more audience interaction, it would have taken away from the competition, meaning they'll have to cut it up even more.

I think you'll get your audience interaction during the reunion episode this Wednesday.

I'm glad Hung won, although I still want to punch out Marcel's face when I saw him. I just don't know why, but he's like that kid you pick on in the playgrounds as kids, and you don't know why you do it.

Casey really blew it, it's probably due to the lack of sleep, or the lack of time for her to plan out her meal. If they were given more time to plan their menu like previous seasons then I'm sure she would have done better.

Dale, he didn't lose because his gnocchi was dense, or his lobster was tough. It was mainly because the curry wast too strong, and made the dish inedible. If he had over cooked the lobster or had dense gnocchi then he could have won, but the curry just destroyed his dish. That and the other factors cost him the prize.

boromirbeauty

[14]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 61
    I finally saw the finale. It was not bad. I was glad to see Brian, who was my favorite of the season, come back for this one. I am surprised how much Casey seemed to fall apart this time, but as she said she was kicking Dale and Hung's butts for a while so that proves she as good as they are. I really thought Dale was gonna win after hearing the comments, especially since his surprise dish was better than Hung's, but hey Hung was/is a great chef so I guess I can't complain. See ya at the reunion and hopefully season 4!

Finnegan77

[15]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 27
    I really enjoyed reading this forum over the course of this season - some of you have some crazy culinary knowledge and skills, and I loved reading all of the analysis. I was rooting for Hung from the beginning - one of the few around here - and agreed with Bourdain's blog concerning his lack of civics and determination to get the job done and play the game for the judges. I don't know if I'd want to be his buddy, but I appreciated his skill in the kitchen.

All three of the chefs did well in the finale - which was great to see. Although none of Casey's dishes came in first in any of the judges' minds, she didn't make major blunders. All three have great careers ahead of them.

starwolf99

[16]Oct 9, 2007
    cjs123 wrote:

I thought that the live announcement was off, if only because Casey got to see how much she went down in flames before the final announcement.
    It's unfortunate that, given the tremendous amount of freedom she had at the final challenge, she wasn't focused--as if there were just too many choices for her.

layle1

[17]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 72
    Do you think that's maybe part of the challenge, if unstated? Maybe after weeks of rigid challenges, the adaptability of the chefs is being measured?

starwolf99

[18]Oct 10, 2007
    layle1 wrote:
    Do you think that's maybe part of the challenge, if unstated? Maybe after weeks of rigid challenges, the adaptability of the chefs is being measured?

Depends on the chef.
    You see contestants complain about the restricted cooking space or the limited ingredients or the short amount of time. The finale took these restrictions away (minus the time and altitude). The challenge was intended for the Top 3 to hold nothing back now that they have tremendous resources.
    That's why Hung won. He was finally unleashed that challenge.

sparkie_ac

[19]Oct 15, 2007
    • level: 18
    layle1 wrote:

After reading Tom's blog, you basicaly hit the nail on the head! Casey just is not the type of chef like a Top Chef that could do it. He says that she is good chef but not able to work like that. So she lost.
    One said thing in Tom's blog that I read was that the only reason that they had Brain there with them was they felt sorry because he had nothing to do but wait around another day before he could leave and they felt it "sorry. and it was the right thing to do" to ask him to eat/sit with them. Ouch that is kind of harsh. But at least they did ask him

starwolf99

[20]Oct 16, 2007
    sparkie_ac wrote:
    layle1 wrote:

After reading Tom's blog, you basicaly hit the nail on the head! Casey just is not the type of chef like a Top Chef that could do it. He says that she is good chef but not able to work like that. So she lost.
    One said thing in Tom's blog that I read was that the only reason that they had Brain there with them was they felt sorry because he had nothing to do but wait around another day before he could leave and they felt it "sorry. and it was the right thing to do" to ask him to eat/sit with them. Ouch that is kind of harsh. But at least they did ask him

Harsh, but the alternative would be worse. ("Here will be probably the best dinner prepared in a sunset setting with some of the top celebrity chefs as guests...and you can't come.")
    Then again, Brian probably found it relaxing to eat the final dishes rather than cook them (unlike CJ, Sara, and Howie).