Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoBetween Seasons

"Second Helping" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Aug 20, 2007
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Second Helping."

"Talk amongst yourselves… " –Linda Richman
    Edited on 08/21/2007 2:46pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sparkie_ac

[2]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 18
    Well the 'win first challenge and become top chef streek' is over after two season cause so sorry Tre it was your turn to pack your knifes and hit the road. Pitty cause he was a strong and darn good chef I think. And besides that even the talent to make it to the big show down.

My favorite part of this week was the quick fire challenge. That was great and funny to. Rock on to Hung and his duck LOL and I love Tom's look and laugh at him. You know team April could have had a chance of winning but Casey was just plain sad! It was a speed contest come on!!! Hence the name QUICK FIRE and she is wooo taking her time cutting so perfect. AAHHHH I was like come on girl get it out and get going!

In fact after the night was over Casey was who I would have vote to go home!! She is down to my last nerve but knowing the producers she will be there for long time! Sorry Tre but if you got cute sexy look and wear a ugle green shirt two episodes ago maybe you would still be here.

edtajchman

[3]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 11
    I have been really hard on Sarah past few weeks, but props to her for stepping up and making Howie and Hung do some things over, her butt-kicking set her team apart and bumps her from the back of the pack to the front! (like it or not Hung is still in the front of the pack too....)
    Edited on 08/23/2007 1:15am

boromirbeauty

[4]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 61
    I was so happy to see Stephen last night, I just knew when Tom said they had someone special to help with the wines that it would be him.

Casey really lost the quickfire for her team, she should have been a little less neat and picked up the pace, good for Sara for pulling the win out of Restaurant April's hands.

I'm sad to see Tre go, but after Sara won the elimination, you knew it had to be him who went.

Good episode, glad to see the second helping of Restaurant Wars.

starwolf99

[5]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 12

Best Quickfire ever! It was the perfect way to handle part 2 of the Restaurant Wars. I also liked the cameo appearance by Stephen. I knew it the minute I heard that Team Quatre was going to get a sommelier for their Quickfire win. It was a great episode. With the 8th contestant gone, we now have a Top Half versus Bottom Half of the season:

Dale: He's in it to win. The humbling experience from Madonna's brother helped him improve the restaurant. He should have dressed better, but the high quality of the food overshadowed that relatively minor detail.

Sara: It's funny how we no longer have to worry about initials (though I forgot if she was Sara M. or N. at this point). The episode was all about her experience as a line item cook. Hence, she was fast and she wanted high quality in any food that goes out. Her Quickfire work on the onions was a sight to see. She was even able to handle both Howie and Hung in the kitchen. I was glad she deserved the win.

Hung: This was a case in which "Let Hung be Hung" actually worked. I liked the moment when Tom C. is laughing with surprise as he sees how Hung handles 5 chickens in the Quickfire. No competition. They just needed to unleash him at the right time. There was a scene in which he was told that Joey and Sara were VIP guests, and he was like "Who's Sara and Joey?" He's definitely the "move forward at warp speed; don't look back" person.

Howie: Still the weak link in any team. It's only a matter of time, but he's a survivor.

Brian: Intense shucker. He's almost as wild and as uncontrollable as Hung. His nerves are still affecting his performance.

Casey: When I saw her Quickfire performance, I thought she was the weak link of the team. It's only a matter of time with her but CJ and Tre's performances saved her.

CJ: Poor CJ. He has the potential to win this. This wasn't the first time that he tried to take on a leadership role and failed. His biggest mistake was that he didn't think that his team needed a greater improvement. It was more slight tweakings than a major overhaul like with Team Quatre. The worst part was that he worked well with Tre. Now, he was to find a way to be in sync with the other chefs.

Tre: The streak is broken. Usually, the first Elimination Challenge winner becomes Top Chef. It worked for Harold. It worked for Ilan (sadly). However, in the end, it's all about the food. He had a major miss with the challenge and it cost him.

ButterflyAlias

[7]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 6

Can someone please confirm whether or not Christopher Ciccone, the designer featured on this episode, is Madonna's brother? The name is uncommon so as soon as I heard it I thought it was then when I saw and heard him I could have sworn it was the same guy featured in the film Truth or Dare. However, I haven't been able to confirm this suspicion for certain. Any help would be appreciated.

buttercup_diva

[8]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 6

On the bravotv.com website it states:

Both teams also got a design boost from Madonna's brother, Christopher Ciccone.

So yes, it was Madonna's brother.

Greg-M

[9]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 2

I enjoyed this episode much more than the previous episode. As lame as it is that the chefs got a second chance, this episode was entertaining. I am disappointed that they sent Tre home, because I think he's really one of the better chefs on the show. He did make a lot of mistakes in this challenge, so I can see why they sent him home.

What bugs me is that sometimes it seems like they eliminate chefs based only on the current challenge, whereas other times they give chefs a break based on previous performances. I know it's the producers who choose who gets sent home, but I think Tre should have stayed, even if he wasn't a particularly exciting guy to watch. He was one of the few left on the show that wasn't completely annoying.

I hope Casey and CJ hurry up and get axed. Neither of them have shown any ambition or skill, they put way more effort into not losing than they do into trying to win. Casey is annoying, and CJ is a boring hack. Brian hasn't really done much either, but he at least seems to give it a bit more effort.

Howie showed some promise at first, but now he's settled into a rut and he's too stubborn to get out of it. He cooks the same meat dishes in every challenge and although he's good at it, he needs to show his range as a chef or else he won't be able to compete at the top.

At this point I think that Dale has a pretty good shot at being one of the top chefs. I think I overlooked him for the first part of the season because he doesn't have the confidence and arrogance of some of the other chefs, but lately he's been able to put out some really good dishes.

As for Hung and Sarah, I think they could go either way. Hung has great skills, but he gets overconfident and makes silly mistakes that could end up costing him big as the challenge intensifies. Sarah can cook some good food, but she hasn't made anything really great thus far, and has just been content to sit at the middle of the pack. In this last episode she did a good job of stepping up and taking charge of her team, and won the challenge as a result. Maybe that will give her the confidence boost she needs to really step up and show what she can do.

starwolf99

[10]Aug 23, 2007

I think that CJ still has more skill and ambition to compete than Casey. He did win a Quickfire and an Elimination Challenge. He just needs to work on group organization.

If we see more of Sara the way she manages the kitchen, then it could be a Dale/Sara final.

BrainMan820

[11]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 16

I don't understand why people think Dale is in it to win. He's only had a few good dishes, and quite a number of failures. More so then Dale, those who are in it to win are Brian and CJ. And Tre, before he got his knives packed. Both of them have had failures, but more successes, and Brian's been in the high spot for quite a while. Dale's good, but I don't think he'll win.

As for the episode itself, I was thrilled. I think it's a little harsh to make the designers build a restaurant from scratch in one day, especially when they are not decorators. So a soft opening was actually something I'm cool with. I've gone to a few soft openings, and I rather enjoy them.

I've gotta agree that April was overconfident, and the person who needed to step up was Tre. Casey and CJ had some flaws, but ultimately, Tre is the executive chef who let the food that was not up to par go out. That's on him. I think Brian really responded to the criticism and worked better in the front.

I do believe that the other team shucked off the Garage name and everything that went bad with it. New dishes, not so heavy, all the criticisms were dealt with. Hung's been getting more receptive to criticism, and I think that will definitely help him. Everyone else on that team impressed me, minus Dale. I was concerned too when he went extremely casually for front of the house. When someone is dressed in jeans and a polo, that's Friday at the office, not a high-class restaurant. Certainly nothing to send him home over, but enough to take him out of the running for winner.

sparkie_ac

[12]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 18

I would have like to see more of Stephen in the episode since he was the guest!!!!!!!!!

Dale was a jerk to him to...that kind was annoyed me but whatever.

Edited on 08/23/2007 11:17pm

boromirbeauty

[13]Aug 24, 2007
    sparkie_ac wrote:

I would have like to see more of Stephen in the episode since he was the guest!!!!!!!!!

It annoyed me as well Sparkie.

starwolf99

[14]Aug 24, 2007
    boromirbeauty wrote:
    sparkie_ac wrote:

It annoyed me as well Sparkie.

Don't forget, when Stephen had his version of Restaurant Wars in Season 1, he did the same (seemingly) endless lecturing on the wines/food to the customers. That nearly eliminated him. Dale probably did his homework and wanted to avoid that.

Let's face it: How many times did you wanted to say "Shut up, Stephen" during Season 1?

BrainMan820

[16]Aug 24, 2007
    I thought Stephen was beyond tedious in this episode. He didn't learn from his previous mistakes in Top Chef 1. He was the lowpoint of the episode.

boromirbeauty

[17]Aug 24, 2007
    No I don't agree. Stephen was there as the Sommelier and it was his job to talk about the wine, besides, he wasn't competing so he wasn't needed in the kitchen. I'm sure he talked to every table, and if he went on and on, then the people at the table could have said something. The bottom line is that Dale was overly rude to him when he could have just said, "Please move thoughout the room a little faster, I noticed people waiting" at which point, Stephen would have done just that, he's all about service.

As for the lowpoint of the episode, that would be Casey's horrible chopping skills which lost her team the quickfire.

BrainMan820

[18]Aug 24, 2007

To talk about wine is different from prattling on and on about it. I'm sure we've both seen his performance tonight and his performance in Restaurant Wars way back in Season 1.

It is not the job of the guests to tell the sommelier to get to the point. The guests are paying; they should not have to do anything. It's not necessary to mention anything more then the type of wine they have. That's all. His service was never really good: he was eliminated for it, after all.

gabfan31

[19]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 100
    According to Tom's blog, Casey's problems were due to dull knives. It seems she hadn't honed them properly, and was slowed down drastically by that failure. I'm sure with sharp knives she can hit a respectable speed with onions. But what was she thinking bringing dull knives to the kitchen?! This is a competition, and her most important tool is dull because she didn't bother to sharpen them? I have to say, before this I liked Casey, even if I thought she was a little out of her weight class. Now I think she's a lot out of her weight class- one more punch and she's out! I'm glad Hung has reined himself in and has proved that he can play nicely with others. Howie still has big problems with that, and he might find himself going down the same road as Tiffani and Marcel should he somehow stumble his way into the finals. I almost hope he does so that I can see him go down in flames! But I'm fast running out of people that I want to win this season, and there are still five more people to get knocked off before the final!

ps I don't think Stephen was out of line, but it's a very fine line to tread, and if Dale thought Stephen was boring his patrons, then he made the right call. I didn't see it, and while it was edited that way as much as possible to make it seem as if it was, I was unconvinced. But Stephen was there to assist, and if Dale wants him to shut up and pour the wine, that's what he needs to do. Personally, I found Dale rude, but Stephen seemed to accept that this wasn't his show when called out, and that shows that he's matured somewhat since season one. Dale just shouldn't expect a seat at the chef's table next time he's in Stephen's place!

boromirbeauty

[20]Aug 24, 2007
    Yes gab, I have to agree with you about Casey, I do like her. We've spoken about this before in fact. But she was a little out classed at this point. I did not know about the dull knives, so I'm glad you mentioned that. I wish Casey had mentioned in while she was cutting because it just seemed as if she let the team down because that's all you heard from the guys on her team.

As for the table not saying anything... I've been out where the waiter has hovered a bit too much and have personally said, "I'll let you know if we need anything" so I must disagree with BM820, but that's what is good about this forum, we can all have different opinions.