Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoBetween Seasons

"Show Your Craft" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Nov 19, 2008
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Show Your Craft."

"Conversation is food for the soul." –Mexican Proverb

Edited on 11/26/2008 5:44pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Nov 19, 2008
    • level: 45
    Ok now I'm starting to feel the show now that some dead weight is being dropped but unlike other seasons it still feels like there's a million chefs and we only know a handful of them. Oh well the competitions were better and I was into this episode much more than the premiere. The hotdog gimmick was fun despite the fact that they really weren't going head to head with the push cart and the chefs. The highlight was the elimination round Fabio no surprise nor the elimination choice. She looked like she was on downers the whole time both episodes but really her bad moves wouldn've made things interesting Ariella, sp?, should've gone. She's a bore and has no confidence in herself and knows she's on the chopping block each second.
    Edited on 11/19/2008 9:05pm

gabfan31

[3]Nov 20, 2008
    • level: 100
    Personally, I thought having the rejected "chefs" as the patrons was a terrible idea. I get what they were going for, and yeah, if they can impress that crowd (or at least get them to acknowledge that it was edible), they can conquer the world. But there was too much sour grapes, and that just turned a poor showing into one that was a nightmare. If they had had a somewhat friendlier crowd (of say, inmates from Riker's Island), maybe Fabio wouldn't have come out swinging at the Judges' Table when they were trying to tell him that he won! Maybe Jill wouldn't have been stunned into speechlessness in the face of the Judges' rampant displeasure... or maybe not, but we'll never know, will we? They were bombarded with negativity from the get go, and while there are those out there that would say, "Dat's New Yawk, Bay-bee!" I would have liked to have seen them have a fighting chance. What was the point of bringing in the Hot Dog Lady for the competition? I get that there's the official "New York Street Style" of dogs, but what did that tell the competitors? "You are not fit to have your own pushcart! Bow before the Queen of Dogs!" I'm sorry, but she's not in the competition, so I did not need to see her there, or have Padma and Donatella eat her dog with relish (literally and figuratively). She was only there to put the lowly chefs in there place, and that was the bottom of the dogpile. The chefs have enough to worry about in making the food, and as four previous seasons have proven, they don't need extra drama to make things more interesting. I watch this show because I want to see what they can come up with, and how well they execute it. I don't watch to see them humiliated by smug people who are bitter that they were rejected for a spot on the show. I don't need external cooks showing "the right way" to do something, carrying the assumption that one cannot surpass it, only hope to approach a faint shadow of its perfection. I do hope that next week all this will be a dim memory, and we can go back to the chefs creating their own drama as they attempt to make it through the competition doing what it is they are all there to do- COOK!
    Edited on 11/21/2008 4:40pm

BrainMan820

[4]Nov 22, 2008
    • level: 16

I don't get the decision to keep Ariane over Jill. As bad as Jill making an ostrich egg quiche forgettable, is still beats Ariane's inedible nightmare. I love sweets, but if it's painful to swallow, that's missing the entire point.

Fabio's dish was very good, although I think I preferred Jamie's. The simplest dishes are the most perfect. I thought the idea of "New American" was absurd. For those that don't know, it's either "ethnicizing" American classics or using techniques like molecular gastronomy. Can't they ever just cook? Carla's really hyper, but that's why I like her. I was pleased to see so many chefs jump into dessert. That's the best part of the meal.

boromirbeauty

[5]Nov 24, 2008
    • level: 61
    I have to agree with Gab about the rejects. It was pointless and just plain got on my nerves. I knew we were gonna hear a bunch of "I could have done that better" and "I don't know how they made it on the show" comments from these people. Let's face it, any chef can have a bad day, it just so happens that the rejects had their bad days before the competition even started.

Being from New York I was a little put off by the Hot Dog challenge. Like that's all food from NY is all about. Hot Dog Venders! Sadly I'd never eat a hot dog off a hot dog cart, and if I did, it wouldn't be with the gusto that Padma and Donatella did. I will say that I'm glad that they got the hot dogs out of the way early in the competition and hopefully we can forget about it.

As for who went home... only the judges can understand that decision I think. I'm just glad it was someone I really didn't care about.

My one complaint is that again this year we're not getting to know the chefs very well and during some of the competitions we're not even seeing what they are making. I dislike that.

wingsabre

[6]Nov 27, 2008
    • level: 13
    BrainMan820 wrote:

I don't get the decision to keep Ariane over Jill. As bad as Jill making an ostrich egg quiche forgettable, is still beats Ariane's inedible nightmare. I love sweets, but if it's painful to swallow, that's missing the entire point.

Fabio's dish was very good, although I think I preferred Jamie's. The simplest dishes are the most perfect. I thought the idea of "New American" was absurd. For those that don't know, it's either "ethnicizing" American classics or using techniques like molecular gastronomy. Can't they ever just cook? Carla's really hyper, but that's why I like her. I was pleased to see so many chefs jump into dessert. That's the best part of the meal.

Actually, Tom clarified the phrase "New America" in his blog post, and stated that it's a move towards Alice Walter's cooking style. In other words, it's not regional or ethnicizing food, it's using ingredients well, and embracing the ingredients more than masking it. For example, liver and onions are proudly served instead of masking it with a heavy sauce to cover the liver taste. Jamie did that well with her corn soup. Fabio did that well with his carpaccio, wowed Donatella with his the olive ravioli. Since I couldn't taste the food, I don't know which tasted better, but I would probably pick Jaime too. Molecular Gastronomy has it's place, but fundamentals should be perfected first, that was my problem with Marcel.

I think Jill lost because her dish received the most negative comments. Glue, and dog food does not make good food. Overly sweet either, but not as bad. The choice was between Jill who poorly conceptualized her dish and poorly executed it, and Ariane who poorly executed her dish.

BrainMan820

[7]Nov 28, 2008
    • level: 16
    I really shouldn't have to read the blogs to understand such things. That's the definition of "New American cuisine" to regionalize or ethnicize food. If that's what Tom wanted, why not just say it. Showcase your dish, make it exceptional to blind judges. That was kind of the point, I admit, with the whole "stand out" thing, but there's nothing "New American" about it.

wingsabre

[8]Nov 28, 2008
    • level: 13
    No, he didn't say it's to regionalize or ethnicize food, that's what the contestants did. He said it's to showcase the ingredients. Jaime did that the best, based on his definition. BTW, before each challenge the rules are described to them fully, and they can ask Lee Anne what definitions are. If they are confused about what "New American cousins" is they can ask. That's why Andrew got so much heat for not following the rules last season, and it's also why Brian got heat in season 3 for cooking lobster. Lee Anne provided a chart as a guide for the chefs on high cholesterol proteins.