Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoIn Season

"Snacks on a Plane" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Sep 11, 2007
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Snacks on a Plane."

"Talk amongst yourselves… " –Linda Richman
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sparkie_ac

[2]Sep 12, 2007
    • level: 18
    well it is a hint to why in the preview they are flying off somewhere....I am very interested in this episode could be great tonight!

IdiotsloveBoxes

[3]Sep 12, 2007
    • level: 9

Spoiler Warning:

CJ is gone. I'm glad. Finally, all of the boring emotionless snobs are gone. I just didn't want another Harold to win.

cgsliu

[4]Sep 12, 2007
    • level: 1

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, I'm in Seattle and i can't believe you just spoiled the episode for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cjs123

[5]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 4

For some reason I can't post a new message so will post this here:

Wondered why Dale didn't get eliminated--not because I wanted to see him go home, but because he miscalculated the number of his dishes, which left one customer without an entire meal.

I recall on the prior season when Tiffany, Harold and Dave were in Vegas, and Dave didn't realize they were supposed to make three dishes for the challenge; he only made two. The clients really liked his dishes, but because he left off part of the order he was eliminated,even though he had two dishes for everybody.

Seems inconsistent on the part of the judges?

starwolf99

[6]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 12
    IdiotsloveBoxes wrote:

Spoiler Warning:

CJ is gone. I'm glad. Finally, all of the boring emotionless snobs are gone. I just didn't want another Harold to win.

Ilan was no Harold (thank goodness).
    I actually wanted CJ to win.

Clem4077

[7]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 7

I liked CJ and had a gut feeling, especially when he remarked about wanting to get pizza in New York, that this episode would be his time to go. And I dreaded Padma's "Pack your knives and go" thing. He was my second most favorite chef of the season (Tre being first, I still don't understand his elimination).

Also yeah, I agree, though I do like Dale, why wasn't he the one to go? His offense, leaving out someone's dish, was a major, if not main, reason of Dave's elimination in TC1 (which it should have been Tiffani I believe). That was somewhat inconsistent of the judges. Another thing is I think Casey has a shot at winning, she's produced some good stuff.

MrsP55

[8]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 3
    Yeah, I really liked CJ. I thought he seemed like a nice guy. I am ready for Bryan to go. He has been completely unremarkable the entire time. Go Casey!!

MrsP55

[9]Sep 13, 2007

The judges on this show are full of inconsistencies. They pretty much change the rules to whatever will get the best ratings, as much as I hate to say that. Like last week when Howie said he was removing himself from the competition and Padma told him it was the judges decision and not his. If Howie ended up not going, I would have been furious, because in the past there have been chefs to remove themselves and the judges have just said, "Ok, go then" without any further discussion. (Sorry I cannot think of a specific example now but I know this has happened.)

As far as Tre goes, I really liked him, too, but I heard a recent interview with Chef Tom C. and he said he was surprised that Tre was so many people's pick to win. Apparently when they were filming the show, Tre just didn't blow the competition away or anything.

boromirbeauty

[10]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 61
    I also liked CJ, although I never thought he'd win. My biggest problem right now is that the episodes seem to be getting slow. I find myself watching but at the same time not paying close attention. Maybe it's because I'm not really rooting hard for any of the remaining chefs, and the one I am rooting hardest for, Brian, is getting worse not better.

Let's hope the next 3 episodes bring up the attention level. As well as the cooking level.

IdiotsloveBoxes

[11]Sep 13, 2007
    starwolf99 wrote:
    IdiotsloveBoxes wrote:

Spoiler Warning:

Ilan was no Harold (thank goodness).
    I actually wanted CJ to win.

Yes he was. And so was CJ. I just mean it seems that Tom C only wants a younger Tom C to win. It's just like on The Apprentice. None of the winners have much personality.

Sorceress_Girl

[12]Sep 13, 2007
    MrsP55 wrote:

The judges on this show are full of inconsistencies. They pretty much change the rules to whatever will get the best ratings, as much as I hate to say that. Like last week when Howie said he was removing himself from the competition and Padma told him it was the judges decision and not his. If Howie ended up not going, I would have been furious, because in the past there have been chefs to remove themselves and the judges have just said, "Ok, go then" without any further discussion. (Sorry I cannot think of a specific example now but I know this has happened.)

As far as Tre goes, I really liked him, too, but I heard a recent interview with Chef Tom C. and he said he was surprised that Tre was so many people's pick to win. Apparently when they were filming the show, Tre just didn't blow the competition away or anything.

Easy. Last season, Elia was saved from elimination by Mia. Remember? She even said she had a better deal to go back to if she got eliminated in comparison to Elia...

I remembered this and was pretty angry at the judges about this. Padma goes all 'mad' and **** about it, but they let Mia do it last season... so why the heck not let Howie do the same??? That line "It's not your decision" really pissed me off. It just smelled of results handling for ratings' sake.

Tre's elimination really bummed me out, because my picks for the final showdown were him (for talent's sake) and Hung (because they always need the controversial semi-talented bastard to play the bad guy)... And so, little by little I lose my love towards Top Chef.

But in the end, you have to remember: The producers ALSO have a say to which person is ultimately eliminated, so you can't expect fair play in every single episode. Just a thought.

Edited on 09/13/2007 7:37pm
    Edited 2 total times.

aquamarina16

[13]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 11

cj's gone??? oh no...

now that cj, howie (even though i was so happy he did), and tre are gone, who the heck is gonna win? those were my top three, so who's going to win??

my money's on the final two being brian and hung, but who knows? both of them could go home in the next two weeks...

cjs123

[14]Sep 13, 2007

"But in the end, you have to remember: The producers ALSO have a say to which person is ultimately eliminated, so you can't expect fair play in every single episode. Just a thought."

I thought about that--ratings--and was still surprised at CJ's elimination since visiting Bravo's site it looked like CJ was a favorite of a lot of people, at least from what I read...oh well, best of luck to all of them--they all cook WAY better than I do!

wingsabre

[15]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 13
    IdiotsloveBoxes wrote:

Spoiler Warning:

Harold won in the first season, and for good reason, he was the best of the lot. He had the respect of his colleagues, which meant he could lead. The title of chef is a French term that essentially means leader. No respect equals bad leader. He has nerves and can is in control most of the time. As much as I like Dave as a guy, he's too emotional.

As for the inconsistency argument, stop whining. They got rid of CJ because what he gave out was the worst food in all of the 3 seasons of Top Chef. It's actually the most consistent thing the judges do, getting rid of those who give bad food. Dale didn't go home because what he gave out tasted good, and miss accounting one dish is not huge when you have Brian clueless that his lobster was rubber, and Sarah for making cat food.

As for Howie, complain about it in a different thread, this is not a place for that. This thread is about Snacks on a Plane, not the previous episode. Plus Howie wimped out and decided to quit rather than be kicked out himself. It's a cowedly act.

sparkie_ac

[16]Sep 14, 2007
    • level: 18
    wingsabre wrote:
    IdiotsloveBoxes wrote:

Spoiler Warning:

Harold won in the first season, and for good reason, he was the best of the lot. He had the respect of his colleagues, which meant he could lead. The title of chef is a French term that essentially means leader. No respect equals bad leader. He has nerves and can is in control most of the time. As much as I like Dave as a guy, he's too emotional.

As for the inconsistency argument, stop whining. They got rid of CJ because what he gave out was the worst food in all of the 3 seasons of Top Chef. It's actually the most consistent thing the judges do, getting rid of those who give bad food. Dale didn't go home because what he gave out tasted good, and miss accounting one dish is not huge when you have Brian clueless that his lobster was rubber, and Sarah for making cat food.

As for Howie, complain about it in a different thread, this is not a place for that. This thread is about Snacks on a Plane, not the previous episode. Plus Howie wimped out and decided to quit rather than be kicked out himself. It's a cowedly act.

Nicely said...

IdiotsloveBoxes

[17]Sep 14, 2007
    sparkie_ac wrote:
    wingsabre wrote:
    IdiotsloveBoxes wrote:

Spoiler Warning: CJ is gone. I'm glad. Finally, all of the boring emotionless snobs are gone. I just didn't want another Harold to win.

Harold won in the first season, and for good reason, he was the best of the lot. He had the respect of his colleagues, which meant he could lead. The title of chef is a French term that essentially means leader. No respect equals bad leader. He has nerves and can is in control most of the time. As much as I like Dave as a guy, he's too emotional. As for the inconsistency argument, stop whining. They got rid of CJ because what he gave out was the worst food in all of the 3 seasons of Top Chef. It's actually the most consistent thing the judges do, getting rid of those who give bad food. Dale didn't go home because what he gave out tasted good, and miss accounting one dish is not huge when you have Brian clueless that his lobster was rubber, and Sarah for making cat food. As for Howie, complain about it in a different thread, this is not a place for that. This thread is about Snacks on a Plane, not the previous episode. Plus Howie wimped out and decided to quit rather than be kicked out himself. It's a cowedly act.
    Nicely said...

Ok look..About first season... I didn't want like Dave, Steven, or Tiffany to win season 1 ok. I agree, Dave had too many issues, but my favorite in every reality show are contestants are good & creative in their craft but also want to grow from their experiences and be more, have an actual personality, and just happy to be there (in this case, in the Top Chef Kitchen).

Isaw great cooking skills incontestants like Harold, Ilan, CJ, Tre, & Howie, but nothing else. None of them ever seemedparticularly thrilled to be on the show, they didn't really care about makingpeople who eat their food happy,or wanted to become better chefs. Harold& Ilan won because they very skilled & creative chefs. Well, except for CJ did learn, but I only saw that in his goodbye speechafter he was eliminated.Harold always said "I'm a chef." Well that's all he was, nothing more. He did not show a lot of leadership in Top Chef. The chefs who worked for him in the finale only did so well because they liked him. It wasn't on account of Harold running his kitchen staff really great. Lee Ann was the only chef of season I wanted to win because she was a great cook, always wanted to extend herself, and did not turn into a total robot in the kitchen.

I'd like to see Bryan win Top Chef, because while he has had his ups & downs all season, he so far always tried to be more. He' attempted to be an entertainer & leader, though not entirely successful. If not him, Sara then.

Edited on 09/14/2007 1:58pm

BrainMan820

[18]Sep 15, 2007
    • level: 16

Breakfast is one of the most important meals in a day, so I love breakfast challenges. And to cook breakfast for Padma Lakshmi is a heavenly thought. I know some people have complained she seems robotic or is just a pretty face or something. She's a damn fine woman and a damn fine host. I was surprised when Sara said Padma likes a lot of alcohol. Though I've seen a lot of wine at Top Chef, alcohol itself is rather lacking.

This challenge really showcased just what the chefs could do, and, perhaps not surprisingly, Hung's rampant running around spills a jar of something. Okay, running around with broken glass and oil on the floor is just plain dangerous even when wearing normal shoes. I'm pretty sure the men were barefoot and the women had slippers. And Hung had the audacity to deny it, too. Pathetic.

When it came to elimination challenges, I was having a blast. I've traveled on planes before, and plane cuisine just isn't the greatest. What can you do, though, with the limitations of a plane galley. Hung's choice of fish was solid, though I'm personally not a fan of sea bass. Casey started shining yet again, which is surprising because she had a lot of utter failures before. Maybe she's figuring herself out. Dale did a really good job, but missed that one person, which may have costed him a victory.

Brian turned out a mediocre performance with a decent steak, but a bad side dish. Apparently there was a lot of food, which doesn't bother me at all. On a plane, I tend to get hungry. Sara's dish ended in disaster, and was only saved by CJ's broccolini. It looked like CJ cut of the tentacles from the Creature from the Black Lagoon and served it on a plane.

Shame, I really liked CJ, but, just like Tre, he had the worst showing of the bunch and it was time for him to go.

As for consistency, I'm pretty sure something utterly disgusting, combined with the prospect of actually serving that disgusting thing, counts more then a great dish that missed one person. Remember, Carlos and Elia were called out last season for missing one, but Josie and Marisa still went home because they made something bad.

bibliotech

[19]Sep 17, 2007
    I agree these episodes seem slow - there just doesn't seem to be much personality among them no matter how much the producers try to fan some spark, they are a pretty dull lot. I liked Harold and I thought he deserved to win, but there his sensible leadership was balanced against the eccentrics like Dave and Steve. And - while I realize there are Padmanistas, the way she scampered into that hotel suite acting like a giggly teenager at a sleepover was just plain creepy. Back in high school, there was a put-down - Act your age, not your IQ - she's acting like her age is her IQ. And Colicchio, who I had liked, is starting to grate a little.

starwolf99

[20]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 12
    MrsP55 wrote:

Not just inconsistency in the judging but inconsistency in the competition. Hung and Brian were early favorite, and now they are faltering. Casey was blah early on, and she's now a favorite. CJ had a roller coaster of success/failure. There has yet to be a chef who is consistent in the competition.