Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoIn Season

"The Elements" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Apr 9, 2008
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "The Elements."

"Talk amongst yourselves… " –Linda Richman
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wingsabre

[2]Apr 9, 2008
    • level: 13
    Andrew's annoying me now. The episode's not over, but his skill level is apparently not as great. tapioca balls have been done to death by him already. If he continues he'll be this season's joke, only the tapioca balls will be the foam of this season.

ebbydmp

[3]Apr 9, 2008
    I HATE Jennifer! She is so annoying! She's always going on about how good Zoe is and all this other crap like NO ONE else in the house can cook at all. SHE ISN'T THAT GOOD! That's why she went home, and I'm super glad. And Lisa is just as annoying because she spent the entire time complaining. Also, I'm sick of these group challenges. When are they going to get to cook on their own. It's Top Chef not Top Group.

starwolf99

[4]Apr 9, 2008
    • level: 12
    ebbydmp wrote:
    I HATE Jennifer! She is so annoying! She's always going on about how good Zoe is and all this other crap like NO ONE else in the house can cook at all. SHE ISN'T THAT GOOD! That's why she went home, and I'm super glad. And Lisa is just as annoying because she spent the entire time complaining. Also, I'm sick of these group challenges. When are they going to get to cook on their own. It's Top Chef not Top Group.

Jennifer is biased considering that she's frakking Zoi. Spike still needs to lose the hat. Jennifer has no support anymore. Lisa and Dale are stubborn. As for the team challenges, it would be better if there were multiple eliminations (like both Zoi and Spike should have left.)

wingsabre

[5]Apr 10, 2008
    after watching the show, I didn't really like it. The concept for the elimination challenge was good, but I wasn't in to it.

My favorite moment in the show was at judges table when Gale asked Andrew if he had made those caviar before and then dissed it.

I didn't like Andrew's comment about leaving the fish head on the fish. Fish head is very good if prepared correctly. Leaving scales on the fish is essentially as bad as leaving dirt on mushrooms. The only reason it should be left on is if the skin is taken off, and the skin and scales are fried together. If they had done that, there would have been a great textural contrast.

As for team earth, I think mushroom soup would have been a much better approach. Another option is a really hot mushroom broth, poured over thinly sliced beef, or a stew.

For now, I think the weakest contestants left are Spike,and Nikki.

The ones I expect to be the final four are Stephani, Richard, Mark, and Dale. Lisa may have a chance if she's paired up with Stephani a lot more. Andrew might slide in like Marcel did, if the judges don't call him out on faux caviar.

BrainMan820

[6]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 16

BRAVO is really beating in the four elements thing. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great idea for an Elimination Challenge, it's just, between Top Design, Supermodel, and now here, I'm seeing too much of a pattern.

I think Team Fire did a marvelous job. Spicy food is one of my passions and I thought they really hit it without going overboard. I can understand Dale being upset about not winning, but Christ, this show isn't about winning the secondary prizes. Be happy you aren't going home.

Team Air I felt for. I was immediately behind them when they said to go for air fowl, but it had to be a dish that was light, easy to eat, and had a really good scent. Air fowl was probably going to be required, but it seemed obvious. But, they did an okay job.

Between Water and Earth, I was more inclined to give Richard the axe, although Zoi was certainly really bad. Scales are really bad to leave on fish if you aren't planning around them being there. As bad as underseasoned was, I can always salt my food. De-scaling my fish? Not so much. Both teams had decent planning, but bad execution.

Antonia dodged a very large bullet with that immunity. I really thought she should have left if Team Earth was going to go. But, she didn't, and Zoi's part of the meal was worse then Spike's.

As for the people yelling at each other, Jennifer is just upset that Zoi's gone. I think Spike had every right to be upset with Antonia, as his ideas would have helped the dish. Ultimately, he should have stepped up and made soup if that's what he wanted. But his failure to do so, although it hurt his team, didn't hurt his team as much as the two girls did.

This can make or break Jennifer. She's been fairly forgettable as a chef, but she's either going to rise or fall. I don't want to comment on who my Top 4 are going to be, because, as we saw with Richard, you can fall and be gone despite your past successes, especially if your failure is a large one, or just plain sloppiness.

starwolf99

[7]Apr 10, 2008
    BrainMan820 wrote:

BRAVO is really beating in the four elements thing. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great idea for an Elimination Challenge, it's just, between Top Design, Supermodel, and now here, I'm seeing too much of a pattern.

I think Team Fire did a marvelous job. Spicy food is one of my passions and I thought they really hit it without going overboard. I can understand Dale being upset about not winning, but Christ, this show isn't about winning the secondary prizes. Be happy you aren't going home.

Team Air I felt for. I was immediately behind them when they said to go for air fowl, but it had to be a dish that was light, easy to eat, and had a really good scent. Air fowl was probably going to be required, but it seemed obvious. But, they did an okay job.

Between Water and Earth, I was more inclined to give Richard the axe, although Zoi was certainly really bad. Scales are really bad to leave on fish if you aren't planning around them being there. As bad as underseasoned was, I can always salt my food. De-scaling my fish? Not so much. Both teams had decent planning, but bad execution.

Antonia dodged a very large bullet with that immunity. I really thought she should have left if Team Earth was going to go. But, she didn't, and Zoi's part of the meal was worse then Spike's.

As for the people yelling at each other, Jennifer is just upset that Zoi's gone. I think Spike had every right to be upset with Antonia, as his ideas would have helped the dish. Ultimately, he should have stepped up and made soup if that's what he wanted. But his failure to do so, although it hurt his team, didn't hurt his team as much as the two girls did.

This can make or break Jennifer. She's been fairly forgettable as a chef, but she's either going to rise or fall. I don't want to comment on who my Top 4 are going to be, because, as we saw with Richard, you can fall and be gone despite your past successes, especially if your failure is a large one, or just plain sloppiness.

I can see Jennifer not lasting much longer. She was better than Zoi in challenges, but not by much. Antonia and Richard dodged major bullets, but Richard is still the more consistent.

lennydonkey

[8]Apr 11, 2008
    The team challenges are starting to get old. Antonia basically ruined it for her team, but since she was immune two good chefs were on the chopping block while other weaker chefs were saved by their partners. I can understand when you have so many chefs in the beginning you need to team them up for time and efficiency, but I think it's time to let the chefs stand on their own.

danharr

[9]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 45
    It was fun watching the chefs argue at then end but yes too many group challenges and a weak over all episode. Pretty much for me the chefs are all weak and not one of them i'm rooting for. I wonder if the producers lowered the bar to create more conflict this time around? That's an ideal replace great chef's with more back angle shots of Padma interesting strategy

wingsabre

[10]Apr 13, 2008
    I think what's interesting now is you can clearly see a top tier, a middle tier, and a bottom tier form. There are chefs that are consistently on the top, and there are some that are consistently on the bottom. Spike's been on the bottom for a while, and unless he picks it up he's not going far. Jeniffer looks like a really good chef, and has very good basic techniques, but she hasn't wowed anyone. I can see her easily coast along but I can't see her winning it all unless she really wows the judges. Antonia, I respect her for not wanting to do soup, but there's a time for soup and there's a time for raw beef. At least she didn't plan to make salad. One complaint I've seen on other blogs (Joe DeSalazar) is that the contestants this season are essentially of the same mold. They have all worked in a restaurant and there's no Betty or CJ this season. Most likely because most of those contestants were kicked out quite early in past seasons. He has a preety good idea of adding a vested wild card in each season from now on.

dani_n

[11]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 4

I don't associate Betty with not having restaurant experience, I associate her with CRAAAAZY. I'll agree that there is a kind of sameness to their skill levels... there are still plenty of people who I am just waiting to see go home, and at this point in the season there aren't really a lot of people who seem stellar. I think Andrew seems very good, and I was impressed for a while with Richard's bag of tricks and Dale's knife skills, but nobody is knocking my socks off. And I think there are women who are doing well who aren't getting much screen time because they don't have the crazy personalities and drama that the less skilled people of both genders have.... like, Stephanie seems to have good skills but is very meek, Antonia has some good stuff but is never on screen....