Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoIn Season

"Today Show" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Today Show."

"Conversation is food for the soul." –Mexican Proverb

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wingsabre

[2]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 13
    This is Top Chef, not TNFNS.

I think the wrong person went home. Melissa deserved to go home. It was overly hot. Alex should have made stirred pudding. Everyone loves pudding. At least he's getting married. Danny, this is Top Chef, not TNFNS. If he wanted to be Bobby Flay, grill something and try out for a show on another network.

Felt sorry for Jeff. It's bad that Kathy Lee spat his dish out, but I think she just doesn't eat shrimp. They never really explained why.

As for the quickfire, they've all seen previous season. They should know that they'll have to make something bite size.

BrainMan820

[3]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 16

I thought the Quickfire was fairly cool. Make an amuse out of breakfast things? Yeah, that's complicated enough to show your a pro, but simple enough to change. I thought Ariane's was pretty cool, but Leah's was pretty nifty. I was pissed off that Rocco spoke about how "he liked his breakfast savory." It's about making good food, not about genuflecting.

As for the Quickfire, although I do believe this is not becoming a TV host, that's not what this challenge was about. As been said from Season 1, this is not Top Cook, this is Top Chef. That type of thing, as Padma says, lets other people know about you, and flock to you. They get your name out there, and, as a chef, that's important. I thought the challenge was an interesting curveball. It's precise, but it allows the chefs to bring their own tastes out there. Unlike other challenges, like catering the Latin food, picking random neighborhoods, or that god-awful recreation challenge, the chefs were using their styles and their tastes. That's what they'll be known for.

The top three deserved it. Ariane did not complicate things, the most important thing is to get the challenge done. Fabio's dish was awesome and he had charisma about him, while Jeff took something complicated, but made it simple for everyone else. As for the bottom, it should have been Jamie. Easily. Alex made a very dumb move in chosing a creme brulee, yeah, I get it. But Jamie served raw egg. That's unforgivable. It's just like when the chefs elected to keep Casey over Brian despite her undercooked food.

danharr

[4]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 45
    Quickfire was just fine really felt like a Top Chef moment instead of gotcha moment of the week like it's been for the most part for this season. The elimination challenge was proper as well. I don't put too much stock in Kathy Lee she mucks up everything so she was lival to throw a monkey wrench in the works no matter what. The wrong person went home sure he misjudged the time but indelibly spicy shrimp. Yea I love it when that skin on the top of my mouth burns away and all food hurts for the next week or two but none the less would love a chef to prepare a meal to maim me in the same fashion

wingsabre

[5]Dec 5, 2008
    BrainMan820, I agree with most of what you say. I thought the quickfire was a fine challenge, I just expected more. Rocco did screw them up in my opinion. Although it wasn't because Rocco liked savory breakfast, I think it was him saying he likes bacon. It created a situation where everyone had to make bacon, when as a chef, they don't have to do that. Lee Ann's a great producer, she probably stocked the kitchen with all sorts of protean, like duck bacon and they all went very safe with the bacon and eggs.

danharr, there's a reason why Regis won his first Emmy after she left the show. I think Alex failed conceptually, and I think Melissa failed conceptually also. I personally like Thai food, and very spicy food, and spicy shrimp is a very classy dish. Where she failed at is she didn't understand that the concept of spicy shrimp also requires it to be consumed. She clearly didn't try her food, which is much more unforgivable. It looked as if Alex tasted his dish.

Idk, I think this was the worst episode of the season. Perhaps it was the way it was edited. One aspect of what I think makes Top Chef great was the Judges Table, but this season seems to cut that up. I don't like to see the winning and the loosing group together either; it looks awkward.

Based on the current performances who do you guys think are the weakest two? I think it's Melissa and Danny. They've been mediocre at best. It would seem that their dishes failed due to poor concept and poor execution. Ariane's on the waiting list for bottom two, but I think her failures were more due to execution than concept. Something due to nerves, and low self confidence.

BrainMan820

[6]Dec 5, 2008

I understand that, although I still hold that breakfast isn't all savory. Fruit and yogurt tends to be as popular as bacon and eggs.

I also prefer seeing the winners and losers separate. They separate them anyway when they discuss it with everyone there. Why not just do it then. Sure, when you're down to 7 or so, calling everyone at the same time (since it's everyone) makes sense. Before that, though, not really.

Many of these chefs are unknowns to me. Melissa seems to be fairly weak, as is Ariane. Eugene also blundered into his delicious meal the first time around, so I can't give him much credit. By contrast, Fabio and Leah are pretty strong, Radhika tends to be like Betty when it's hit or miss, same with Stefan. Carla could be in the top if she'd just plan things out more.

wingsabre

[7]Dec 5, 2008
    Actually, I think what's impressive with Eugene was he blundered into his delicious meal the first time around. If he's that good by blundering, I do wonder what would happen if he actually planned it out. Could it be pure genius or Mikey? It was also impressive that he made a grill, which was very smart.

Jeff reminds me of Brian from season 3, except I think he's better. Carla's kind of crazy in the good way. She reminds me of my high school English teacher, but she's stuck in comfortable middle. Yeah, Radhika's like Betty mixed with Sarah M, minus the annoying personality.

Yeah, Fabio and Leah's quite strong. I would also say the same for Jamie. Stupid Richard, it's because of him that every time they mention her, I wonder how nice her rack is.

I tend to avoid breakfast, but I prefer savory over sweet, although I enjoy bran muffins, yogurt and rhubarb pie in the morning too. Rocco spoiled the well when he said he liked bacon. It then set expectation for bacon.

What's it with this season? They're doing dessert like every freaken episode.

gabfan31

[8]Dec 5, 2008
    • level: 100
    Personally, I had mixed emotions about the QuickFire. I liked having them do breakfast (I cook it for hundreds everyday at the restaurant where I work, so I can totally relate. But an amuse?! Who would ever do a breakfast themed amuse bouche in the real world?! I know challenges don't always have to be practical, and it was certainly a stretch of their abilities. But I thought the theme was a little too gimmicky. As for the Elimination Challenge, I was disappointed that all the chefs weren't able to cook for the Today Show, though it would have been extremely difficult logistically. Doing it only for the Judges devalued the point of the Challenge for me significantly. I don't have a strong opinion about who should have won, but I agree with the general consensus (including Lee Anne, as she says in her blog) that Melissa should have gone home. Alex's brulee didn't have time to set, and his decision to do it in the first place was a real stumper, but he failed by aiming high, and should have gotten credit for it. According to Lee Anne, his flavors were there, and working with lavender was also a gutsy decision. Melissa on the other hand failed not only because her dish was too spicy hot, she was also missing acid and salt components (acording to Lee Anne again), something that just about proves she either didn't taste her food, or that her palate has been burned away by her injudicious use of hot peppers. As for Jamie, I thought the negative reaction to the Judges' decision was blown out of proportion. She obviously didn't agree with them, but she didn't overstep the bounds in her defense, in my opinion. She reminds many people of Lisa from season four, but if she does have the same flaws, they are much less pronounced, at least so far.

whitebobcat

[9]Dec 8, 2008
    • level: 2

Gail Simmons from Top Chef will have an interview airing at Reality Check Radio on Thursday, December 11th at 11pm EST / 10pm CST / 8pm PST.

Link to the live show

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Reality_Check/2008/12/12/Reality-Check-Radio

Reality Check Radio is live on air every Monday & Thursday at 8pm PST.

ebony_kunoichi

[10]Dec 8, 2008

The right person went home for sure. I'm not sure that his heart was in it at all with the wedding coming up and all. Also, who in the world does a creme brulee in such a short time? what an idiot!

So far there arent any chefs that really stand out, however I am really loving the Italian guy. He is a cutie.

kravitzfan12

[11]Dec 8, 2008
    • level: 34
    I think Melissa should have gone home. There is no worse experience in eating besides having your mouth in an undullable flame. Even though the creme brule was a mistake, that dish of Melissa's was easily worse.

I would love to see the reaction of the Today Show hosts if they ate that dish...

boromirbeauty

[12]Dec 10, 2008
    • level: 61
    Again, forgot to comment. Someone slap me.

First off, in the end portion I felt very bad for Jeff. When Kathie Lee spit out his food it was such a blow. She should have said, I don't like/eat shrimp so I'm not going to try this one. I loved how Meredith told all three of them that she enjoyed each of their dishes, it was very nice of her to do that, especially after KL spit out Jeff's. Second, I didn't really agree with Alex getting sent home, but I was so worried that it would be Jamie that in the end it didn't matter. I agree with what Gabfan31 said about the overreaction and about Melissa's over spiced mess. I also agree with what everyone said about Alex having his wedding to look forward to.
    Third, I liked the quickfire, although the size thing threw many people off. I liked how the guy (can't remember his name right now) served his in an egg shell. Very cute.
    Lastly, I'm surprised that they are allowing Hosea and Leah to get so close. Physical contact (like kissing and such) is not allowed on TC. Or at least that is what Tom said in the New Yorker interview. I wonder what will happen with the two of them.

BrainMan820

[13]Dec 20, 2008
    I don't see why they'd ban kissing and other stuff if both parties are okay with it.

layle1

[14]Dec 21, 2008
    • level: 72
    I believe one of the rules for this show is no fraternization. It's the reason the contestants aren't required to have a physical before filming begins.
    Edited on 12/21/2008 8:14am