Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoIn Season

Top Chef vs Hell's Kitchen

bibliotech

[1]Sep 28, 2007
    • level: 3

Watched this weeks Top Chef which I think has gotten weaker since Season 1 and I realized the problem I have with this show - there are so few "real life" challenges. Hell's Kitchen doesnt seem to attract the same number of talented chefs but the challenges seem more real world driven and more a test of who can function as a real chef - there may be more entertainment value and more of a creative challenge in making a snack out of vending machine food or making up a frozen food pasta meal but it seems like they have gotten further away from real "cheffery" - maybe because the prize isn't really running a restaurant. It just seems more often that when I watch Hells Kitchen I cringe at Chef Ramsey but when I watch Top Chef I cringe when I look at the food. - Still cant get over last season and Sam's watermelon and cheese gonocci dessert.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MegaDragonGod

[2]Sep 28, 2007
    • level: 4
    Well, everyone is different, so they also think different. People in charge of Hell's Kitchen think different that people in charge of Top Chef.

But your topic's title sounds just like what I have been thinking about for a loooooong time: a battle between Top Chefs and Hell's Kitchen's Winners. Chef Colicchio and 3 Top Chefs VS Chef Ramsay and 3 Hell's Kitchen winners. That would be awesome .

gallmex2

[3]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 1
    Do you think chef Ramsey attitude is real or just drama for tv?

gallmex2

[4]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 1
    How many chefs on Tv, like, Rick Bayless, Ming, Emeril, Rachel Ray, or Bittman (PBS) loose their cool like Ramsey in front of their employees?

kimchee411

[5]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 2

MegaDragonGod wrote:
    ... But your topic's title sounds just like what I have been thinking about for a loooooong time: a battle between Top Chefs and Hell's Kitchen's Winners. Chef Colicchio and 3 Top Chefs VS Chef Ramsay and 3 Hell's Kitchen winners. That would be awesome .

The caliber of cooking and cuisine on Top Chef is on an ENTIRELY different, and superior, level. It would be a complete joke. A third of the people on HK have no professional cooking experience whatsoever, while the majority of contestants on Top Chef are either restaurant owners/head chefs or sous chefs, a few at some of the finest restaurants on the planet (Joel Robuchon, Guy Savoy, Trio, Le Cirque, etc). They are 2 very different shows, but very entertaining to watch, for different reasons. Oh, and if hot-tempered perfectionist Gordon Ramsay had to go head-to-head with Tom Colicchio with the buffoons on HK as his cooks, his head would $*#@!* explode.

Edited on 04/14/2008 7:30pm
    Edited 3 total times.

dani_n

[6]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 4
    gallmex2 wrote:
    Do you think chef Ramsey attitude is real or just drama for tv?

I've read interviews with him where he basically has no awareness of how much he shouts or how foul his language gets on his shows or in his kitchens - and I've heard that it's pretty bad in his non-TV kitchens as well. I think that he honestly has very little awareness of what comes over him when he is on the job, so it's real - and not good!