Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoBetween Seasons

TV.com Top Chef - Season 3

CSIKansas

[121]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 2
    boro, might I suggest that you get a co-host? It would be a reat solution to the problem with the delays, and the game could move a little faster
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boromirbeauty

[122]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 61
    Alright everyone, time for a new challenge.

This week, your QUICKFIRE/NON-EMILINATION CHALLENGE will be combined into one. As a result, you will have a full week to post your menu and the points will be as follows. 4 pts for the winner and 2 for the runner-up.

Your challenge this week will be to create a party for a semi-celebrity. Complete with theme, food, drinks, and favors. The person you will be creating the party for, we will call him Jake, will be helping me to pick the winner. Here are the guidelines he would like you follow:
    1. Remember that he might be a semi-celeb, but that doesn't mean that some big names won't be at the party, so go for broke.
    2. Don't rehash things that have been done to death.
    3. The more detail you give, the better your chances of winning are.

You will have until Wednesday, September 5, 2007 at NOON EST to post your party experience.

Good luck to all!

tvFANatic20

[123]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 17
    So basically we create the party from head to toe? That's a really awesome challenge!
    And thank you for the extra time...

boromirbeauty

[124]Aug 28, 2007
    tvFANatic20 wrote:
    So basically we create the party from head to toe? That's a really awesome challenge!
    And thank you for the extra time...

Yes everything and anything you want to include. Our guest judge really does throw these kinds of parties so it could be tough to impress him. No problem with the extra time, it will give you guys some "time" to research or whatever you need to do.

tvFANatic20

[125]Aug 28, 2007
    Well, I know it is a bit early, but I had to get the idea typed out.

The theme of my party is 1920's Hollywood Glam. Because in that time, drinking was outlawed, all drinks will be served in teacups, so not to be seen by the "fuzz". Such drinks include Martinis, Pink Lemonade with champagne, and simple brandy and rum.

The appetizers for this party include an amuse-bouche of crab stuffed mushrooms topped with parmesan cheese and baked.

also we have stuffed cabbage in a broth of chicken stock flavored with a little bit of garlic salt

to round out the appetizer table we have classic deviled eggs and spinach cheese dip with artichokes.

For the main entree, I decided to take lobster and make it two ways, hot and cold The hot entree is a simple butter poached lobster, with cheesy garlic bread

The cold entree is a pasta salad with chilled lobster and citrus, and an Italian dressing style vinagarette

For dessert, the first is a bread pudding, with an amaretto and pecan whipped cream, garnished with dark chocolate, orange zest and a few raisins

Your next dessert selection is chocolate covered strawberries, covered with a sweet milk chocolate ganache, which you can eat either melted or hardened

The final dessert selection is white chocolate truffles with a dark chocolate drizzle

There will be plenty of jazz music, and everyone will be dressed in period styles. The party favor for everyone is a masquerade-style mask, which the celebrities can wear so the paparazzi can't see them. Have an excellent night!

descot

[126]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 1
    You've been reading my mail. Your suggestion is EXACTLY how the contest should be scored by the judges. It makes no sense for a stellar chef whose dishes have been first rate throughout the competition to be eliminated because of one bad dish, ESPECIALLY when other chef's play it safe with dishes that are mediocre and just get by. The show would be far more exciting if a "point" system was instituted and everyone continued to compete until the last episode, where the points were tallied, and the winner was announced. The chef with the best overall score would truly deserve the title of Top Chef.

gabfan31

[127]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 100
    Glad you like it. You know, you are always welcome to join the game, if you like. Since we're just playing for points, it doesn't matter when you start, as no one is eliminated.

gabfan31

[128]Sep 5, 2007
    tvFAN came up with such a great theme, it'll be hard to beat it. But I have decided to do a Mardi Gras theme for my party. Each guest will receive at the door a generous supply of Mardi Gras beads and tokens that they must trade for their beverages- mint juleps, planter's punch, hurricanes, lynchburg lemonade, and for those who want something non-alcoholic, mint infused ice tea, and pink lemonade. The food will be freely available to all, and will include the following appetizers: cold Cajun boiled shrimp served over a green salad and light tarragon vinaigrette, crab stuffed artichoke bottoms, and mini oyster loaf sandwiches. As the main meal I will serve shrimp and crawfish jambalaya, Creole corn bisque with crab, collard greens with ham hocks, and cheese grits. As dessert I will have bite sized pecan pralines, Mississippi mud pie, and red velvet cake. The band will play rag-time jazz, and at Midnight there will be a mini-parade of the band and the servers, who will throw more beads and coins to the crowd. I hope you enjoy the party!

tvFANatic20

[129]Sep 5, 2007
    great party gab

CSI said that since he started school today, he will post his dish tomorrow. The theme of his party is "Italian Riviera"

Copa's having computer issues, and he too will post tomorrow. His theme is "Halloween Party"

boromirbeauty

[130]Sep 6, 2007
    Alright, thanks tv20. Our guest judge said he is willing to wait one more day. I therefore will judge this challenge tomorrow, Friday, September 7th.

CSIKansas

[131]Sep 7, 2007
    hello chef! I too have spoken to Copa, who has brought his computer into a shop due to issues, and wont have it back until Sunday, so he says to go on judging this challenge without him. With that, on with the party!

As Tv told you all, my theme is Italian Riviera

This is an outdoor garden party, which if held at night, can be beautiful under the stars. Also, there will be gondela (sp?) rides along a beautiful sparkling river lit up by the moon.

Appetizers include a Caesar salad, which has been spooned onto a miniature garlic crostini. Also, you have a vegetable risotto served in a hollowed out cucumber. The final appetizer is a traditional fried Italian meatball

The main entrees are a spicy shrimp ceviche, served extra hot and spicy, also there is a veal tenderloin with mozzarella cheese, finally, we have a lasagna, which can have sausage and ground beef in it for the meat eaters, and hearty vegetables for the vegetarians.

For dessert, we have a raspberry panna cotta, as well as lemon or strawberry granitas. The final dessert is a sundae, with gelato and a sweet balsamic sauce. Enjoy

The drinks for the evening are Caramel Baileys Cappucino, and Red and White Whine, and for the non-alcoholic drinkers we have a delicious grape or tangerine Italian soda, as well as water!

boromirbeauty

[132]Sep 7, 2007
    Judge's Table!

Our guest judge, Jake, was very impressed with all of the party themes and menus. He felt that all of you went all out and wished that Copa could have put his up as well. Here's what he had to say.

TV20: I loved the theme and felt like you took it and ran. I noticed that another of the contestants even praised it, which should tell you just how good it was.

Gabfan: The whole idea was fun. I've been to New Orleans and your theme took me right back, especially the food.

CSI: An outdoor party is big here on Long Island but you put a great twist to it with your Italian theme. Very nice.

And the winner is.... TV20! Jake has said he will try to incorperate some of your ideas into his next bash. Nicely done. You receive 4 points!

Runner-up is gabfan. Jake loved the idea of the favors and their use, it helped you edge out CSI. You receive 2 pts.

The next challenge will be posted Monday. Enjoy your weekend.

POINT TOTALS SO FAR:
    Gabfan - 17
    TV20 - 16
    Copa - 12
    CSI - 10

gabfan31

[133]Sep 7, 2007
    I'll say it again, tvFAN, your theme was absolutely perfect! Great win!

CSIKansas

[134]Sep 8, 2007
    congrats TV and gab, you had excellent menus

boromirbeauty

[135]Sep 10, 2007
    It's time for the newest challenges. I wish you all good luck ahead of time.

QUICKFIRE CHALLENGE: For this QUICKFIRE CHALLENGE I want you to tell me who will win this weeks Elimination Challenge on the show. Message me with your top 3 choices and you will be given your chef on a 1st come/1st serve basis. You have until Wednesday, September 12, 2007 at 8:00 PM EST to send me your message. The person with the correct guess will receive 1 pt.

NON-ELIMINATION CHALLENGE: For your NON-ELIMINATION CHALLENGE I'd like you to prepare a dish that will put a smile on someone's face. It can be anything you'd like, but it must be made with at least five different ingredients and be sure to put a smile on the eaters face. In addition, tell me why you've chosen to make this dish as a way to help pick the winner. YOu will have until Sunday, September 16, 2007 at Noon EST to post your menu.

Thanks!

tvFANatic20

[136]Sep 12, 2007
    Well, everyone loves a delicious sundae, and that's what i have prepared for my diner today.

I love flavored sundaes, so I have created a trio of yummy ice cream sundaes.

The first sundae is a chocolate cake flavored sundae. It is actually brownie batter mixed with buttercream that ha been frozen. The sauce is a chocolate take on a beurre-blanc, which is a wine butter sauce. Instead of wine, I have used milk chocolate. Garnished with a chocolate covered cherry.

The second sundae is a panna cotta sundae. It is a beautiful caramel buttermilk gelato to start with. I have garnished it with beautiful grated butterscotch and dulce de leche.

The final sundae is the grand finale...the All-American Apple Pie Sundae! Silky French vanilla ice cream with sliced granny smith apples and a cookie crumble topping.

I chose sundaes because I love ice cream, I have since I was a child, and I know it is a classic comfort food.

tvFANatic20

[137]Sep 12, 2007
    gabfan31 wrote:
    I'll say it again, tvFAN, your theme was absolutely perfect! Great win!

aww thanks, you're gonna make me blush

boromirbeauty

[138]Sep 13, 2007
    QUICKFIRE RESULTS:

For the QUICKFIRE this week, you were asked to tell me who will win this weeks Elimination Challenge on the show. I received two messages and here are the results:

TV20 picked Casey
    gabfan picked Sara

As we now know, Casey won the Elimination Challenge which means TV20... you win our QUICKFIRE and 1 pt. Congrats!

POINT TOTALS SO FAR:
    Gabfan - 17
    TV20 - 17
    Copa - 12
    CSI - 10

gabfan31

[139]Sep 16, 2007
    Okay, this dish brings a smile to my face every Christmas Eve, where it's a family tradition. It's also an ice cream dish, but this is a little different in how it's put together. I start by making an crushed oreo cookie crust held together with a little melted butter, spread over the the bottom of a casserole dish, then put it into the refrigerator to get firm. Then I put coffee ice cream that has become soft enough to spread it over the crust evenly. Then I make a homemade chocolate fudge topping with semi-sweet chocolate chips melted with butter and sugar, then pour it over the top. Finish the dish with maraschino cherries dotted over the entire dish. Freeze it in the freezer until it's nice and firm, cut it into squares, and you have a rich and tasty treat that the whole family loves! And I don't even like coffee! Enjoy!

boromirbeauty

[140]Sep 16, 2007
    Thank you both (tv20 and gabfan) for posting. If either of you don't mind I'm gonna judge this one tomorrow, since I didn't remember it was a holiday this past week, and I'd like everyone to have an equal chance at playing. If you have any objections please message me and let me know.