Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoBetween Seasons

TV.com Top Chef - Season 3

boromirbeauty

[141]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 61
    Sorry this took so long, not only was I hoping CSI and Copa could join us, but I was home sick today and spent most of the time in bed. Anyway, here's my decision.

While I did think both of your (TV20 & Gabfan) dishes were smile inducing, and sounded quite yummy, I could only pick one winner. Congrats go to gabfan! The fact that your dish is a family tradition made it even more fun. As the winner you receive 2 pts. TV20 as the runner-up, you get 1 pt.

I will be posting two new challenges tomorrow.

POINT TOTALS SO FAR:
    Gabfan - 19
    TV20 - 18
    Copa - 12
    CSI - 10
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boromirbeauty

[142]Sep 18, 2007
    It's time for Challenges! This week will be a little different, you will have three challenges, each with only a winner (no runner up) and each challenge will be worth 1 pt. You will have until Sunday, September 23, 2007 at 8:00 PM EST to post your dishes.

#1. Post your best fish dish. It can be one you've posted before, as long as you think it's your best fish dish.

#2. Post a dish that can be paired with Red Wine. Anything BUT fish.

#3. Post a complete recipe for a pasta dish.

Good Luck!

lovejoy232

[143]Sep 20, 2007
    • level: 12
    I'm in!

boromirbeauty

[144]Sep 21, 2007
    Great, welcome.

tvFANatic20

[145]Sep 22, 2007
    • level: 17
    #1. My best fish dish is one that I make for parties and is extremely simple

It is classic white sea bass wrapped in pancetta (or bacon)on a spinach crema. It's that simple

#2. For my red-wine dish, I have decided to incorporate red wine, shallots, garlic and onion into a sauce that I have marinated a beautiful new york strip steak in. Nothing goes better with red wine than red wine!

#3. Pasta! This is my favorite area of cuisine EVER! and it is so fortunate that i can use this opportunity! well when I first heard pasta, i immediatey thought "what goes great with pasta", and then I got my answer: Cheese! This is linguine pasta with parmesean crusted shrimp and butter poached lobster with a tangy marinara sauce!

Enjoy!

gabfan31

[146]Sep 23, 2007
    • level: 100
    For my fish dish I have made a crab stuffed sole. The stuffing incorporates crabmeat, bread crumbs, celery, white onion, and a little Dijon mustard for some bite. The sole is laid over the stuffing, brushed with butter, and seasoned with salt, pepper, and paprika, and garnished with lemon wedges. It's served with sauteed green beans and grape tomatoes cut in half and seasoned with a basil.

For my red wine dish I have made one of my favorites, veal Marsala. Scallops of veal are dipped in flour and then pan fried with butter. For the sauce I sautee mushrooms, chopped onions and garlic, then add Marsala wine and veal stock. The sauce is reduced, then poured over the scallops, and are broiled for a short time to finish cooking the veal and for the sauce to thicken a bit. The veal is accompanied by garlic and parmesan mashed potatoes, and since the marsala is a bit sweet, I pair it with a dry chianti for some contrast.

My pasta dish is a portobello mushroom and spinach manicotti. I make roasted red pepper, regular egg and spinach lasagna noodles. Then I make a filling of spinach, portobello mushrooms, ricotta cheese, seasoned with a dash of nutmeg, and make three manicottis using each of the different noodles. They are presented on the plate as a trio with the spinach noodle, then the roasted red pepper, and then the egg noodle. Then they are each topped with a different sauce. On the egg noodle I use a robust marinara sauce, the spinach gets Alfredo sauce, and the center red pepper manicotti with a mixture of the two sauces. This gives you a very colorful and tasty dish.

The pasta is actually one I created for one of the restaurants I have worked in, so I know it's a real crowd pleaser. Enjoy!

boromirbeauty

[147]Sep 24, 2007
    Since I was unable to make it online yesterday, I'd like to give this challenge one more day. That way CSI, Copa, and Lovejoy have a chance to post something as well. If anyone speaks to them, please let them know they have until Tuesday, 9-25-07 @ noon to post.

boromirbeauty

[148]Sep 25, 2007
    JUDGE'S TABLE:

Since nobody else has joined in, I've decided to post your results. Each of the three dishes was chosen by one of the three women in my office. Here is what they each had to say...

FISH DISH
    Our judge loved both but in the end it came down to ingredients and gabfan's crab stuffed sole edged out TV20's white sea bass wrapped in pancetta. 1 pt gabfan.

RED WINE DISH
    Your judge this time had a very hard time picking a winner for this one, as she loved both dishes a great deal. In the end tv20's Red Wine Steak was the big winner over the veal gabfan chose. To quote her, "red wine is good for your heart, why not get some more any way you can!" 1 pt TV20.

PASTA DISH
    The judge this time thought both dishes were good, but wasn't quite sure her family would enjoy them so she wasn't sure what to pick. In the end the colorful spinach manicotti by gabfan is what she picked to win, saying that tv20's lobster and shrimp sounded like it could be a nice dish but she'd like to have seen more the the ingredients that go into it. 1 pt gabfan.

POINT TOTALS SO FAR:
    Gabfan - 21
    TV20 - 20
    Copa - 12
    CSI - 10

AND THE WINNER OF TV.COM'S TOP CHEF SEASON 3 IS.... GABFAN!

Congratulations and thanks everyone for playing. Thank you also to the nice people I work with that helped me judge, thank goodness I didn't have to do it on my one, all of you were really great!

layle1

[149]Oct 31, 2007
    • level: 72
    Congrats to Gabfan who will run game four . This thread will be locked, and a new one should be started when that time comes, thanks.