Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoBetween Seasons

"Zoo Food" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Zoo Food."

"Talk amongst yourselves… " –Linda Richman
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KCMask

[2]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 21
    First of all, I thought the challenge was really cool. I am MAD that Ganstah wannabe won though, I loathe him! Doesn't Tom C look tan, rested and happy!? I think he lost weight too. I'm really not into the contestants yet, there are still too many.

Finnegan77

[3]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 27
    I'm also not into the contestants yet, maybe that is why I thought this episode was lacking something. The Quickfire Challenge was good - it is a shame that Andrew can't seem to count to five! I'm glad Mark redeemed himself after almost being eliminated last week.

About the Elimination Challenge - I guess it was an interesting way to try to limit the chef's ingredients, but that didn't really work did it? Since when do gorillas eat crab? The chefs were really allowed to make whatever they wanted, and I don't remember anything being said at the judging table about dishes that didn't fit in with the given animal. If the judges had mentioned something like that the challenge would have been better, and Stephanie would have been eliminated for making the dish the animal wouldn't have eaten. I'm not saying Valerie's idea for making blinis ahead of time was a genius move, I just wish the judging was more focused on the particular challenge the chefs are presented with.

Dale is beginning to annoy me. If his answer to a horrible looking dish (mushrooms) is to throw cheese on it, I wonder what kind of chef he is.

BrainMan820

[4]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 16

I agree that the dishes should have been more focused around the diets of the animals. I think, if they really wanted to go like that, they should have been harsher. Gorilla should have been only vegetarian, but the chefs would be allowed to use other vegetables that don't grow naturally in the gorilla's environment, provided the gorilla could still eat it.

I don't understand why people don't like Andrew. Sure, he's a Slim Shady wannabe, but he's got talent, and he deserved to win the challenge. I don't like crab, but the dish was well-executed and had a nice presentation. The yuzu-glacier thing was fun, I liked it as an aside, something additional to throw in that didn't distract from their own dishes, but something new.

Gotta side with the chefs on this one: Valerie deserved to go. Blini needs to be made promptly. Dale also disappointed me. Those mushrooms should not have been served, and, although you can mask the taste of mushrooms with cheese, you don't mask it's sight.

nothus79

[5]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 10

I thought the Zoo challenge was a really kool idea but agree that most of the teams strayed away from the actual diet of the animal but overall i thought they all tried and put out some good stuff.

I actually like Andrew and agree that he has talent. I really like Mark, the kiwi from New Zealand. He seems like the kinda guy who sometimes goes a little to far, like he did in the first challenge but he has great idea and is a very talented chef. Right now he is my fave.

Dale seems really talented as well and of course Richard is the weird guy this season with all the crazy chemical ideas.

Anyways...i think this is going to be a great season.

boromirbeauty

[6]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 61
    I enjoyed the episode but I'm surprised (like most of you) that more emphasis wasn't up on those recipes that didn't follow the dietary guidelines of the animals. It was a toss up on who should have gone home, the mushroom lady or the blini lady (see how I don't know the names yet) but in the end I didn't care as long as it was one of them. I don't really have an opinion on the chefs at this point, other than Mark whose accent I enjoy listening to each week. As for their cooking, give me one more week, and I'll know who I'm gonna root for.

By the way, the Top Chef cookbook is out now. It's part cookbook & part show guide. I'm interested in seeing it.

wingsabre

[7]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 13
    I partly agree that the challenge and the result should be based on the challenge and the rules, but sometimes basic skills weight more than the rules. When they all do well, the rules are used. When one really screws up like Valerie, then she needs to go. the blini was a rookie mistake in her part. I'd probably make the same since I'm not pro or trained, but it's considered one in the chef's mind.

I'm rather sad that they didn't stick the the vegetarian approach. There's so many options, and if they had succeeded with the vegetarian approach they would have had bonus points.

As for Richard. Yeah he deals with molecular gastronomy but when it comes to that. My opinion is the same as my opinion about Marcel. Show us some basics, then wow us with MG. Other wise it's just like adding MSG. May give the allusion of tasting better but realistically it's just unwanted.

lovejoy232

[8]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 12
    I think that Nikki should have went home because of the mushrooms.

dani_n

[9]Apr 28, 2008
    • level: 4
    BrainMan820 wrote:

I agree that the dishes should have been more focused around the diets of the animals. I think, if they really wanted to go like that, they should have been harsher. Gorilla should have been only vegetarian, but the chefs would be allowed to use other vegetables that don't grow naturally in the gorilla's environment, provided the gorilla could still eat it.

That would have been way more entertaining and educational. And then they could have shared their leftovers with the animals

BrainMan820 wrote:
    I don't understand why people don't like Andrew. Sure, he's a Slim Shady wannabe, but he's got talent, and he deserved to win the challenge. I don't like crab, but the dish was well-executed and had a nice presentation. The yuzu-glacier thing was fun, I liked it as an aside, something additional to throw in that didn't distract from their own dishes, but something new.

Huh, I've never seen him as a "gangsta" or "Slim Shady" wannabe. It's not like he's ever tried to rap for us, like Marcel did - right? He just has his own unique way of ... talking. He says awesome hilarious crazy things. I'd like to hire him to just follow me around and entertain me.

BrainMan820 wrote:
    Gotta side with the chefs on this one: Valerie deserved to go. Blini needs to be made promptly.

And pronounced correctly!

Edited on 04/28/2008 2:12pm