Top Chef

Into the Fire

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Oct 18, 2006 on Bravo

• New judge/hostess!

Well we started the season with a new judge/hostess in Padma Lashkni or however you spell her name. She has more of a personality I thought plus really seem to know food more better. We also have returning Gail Simmons and Tom Coliccho on the show to judge the new cooks. Harold the original winner is back as he is the guest judge and that he seems a lot like a gentleman. Glad to see more newer personalities. Illan is really a wierd dude but still, he won the first challenge as Tom says, Harold won the first challenge and went onto win the first Top Chef.
  • In this episode we are introduced to a new cast of wannabe Top Chefs as well as a new Host Padma Lakshmi. Old favorites Tom Colicchio and Gail Simmons return for a second course along with guest judge Harold Dieterle, season one's winner.

The contest begins again with fifteen new chefs competing for the title of Top Chef. The show begins with the introduction of Betty, Elia, Sam, Marcel, Josie, Marisa, Frank, Otto, Cliff, Michael, Mia, Ilan, Emily, Carlos and Suyai. Their first challenge is to create a flambe dish. Harold Dieterle, the winner of season one judges, and the top three were Emily, Betty and Sam. The bottom three were Elia (who couldn't get her dish to flame) Suyai, and Carlos. Then Harold chose Sam, who gained immunity for the elimination challenge. The elimination challenge was much trickier. The chefs were divided into two teams, and each team was given a set of ingredients to combine for a single dish. The orange team had to use escargot, peanuts, potatoes, artichokes, and American cheese, and the black team had to use frog legs, chicken livers, peanut butter, eggplant, and cornflakes. The top orange were Ilan and Elia and the top black were Betty and Mia; Ilan was declared the winner. The bottom orange were Suyai and Carlos and the bottom black were Marcel and Otto; Suyai was asked to pack her knives and go. The challenges were good, and it was nice to see Harold back on the show.
  • Not as exciting as the last season opener.

Now I was really anticipating the new season of Top Chef this year because Bravo always does a great job with their reality competition series'. But, when I started watching the epiosde it was not as exciting as the last season at all. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but it just didn't have the spark like the previous one before it. Althought it was still interesting because of the food made in it, the episode was just bland. I may just need time to get used to the contestants and their personalities, but I hope the following episodes will be much more interesting.
  • Good solid season premire

The 2nd season is underway. It was nice seeing Harold back and on the other side of the Judges table. I thought that the ingredient box challenge was a great way to introduce the new \"meat\" to the world. It allowed us to see how they handled new or rarely used ingredients and how their ability to think on their feet.

I was not Suyai\'s meltdown. She just did not strike me as having the background or temperment based on her bio at Bravotv.com. I was suprised that Otto failled as badly as he did. You would have tought that the chef\'s got yhe message from last season, innovate with ingredients on hand.. Don\'t add!