First Run Fan Poll:
Who do you think is the sexiest judge?
A. Gail 14%
B. Padma 38%
C. Tom 48%
(all percentages are as of the end of the episode.)
QuickFire Challenge Dishes Shown:
• Hung Banana, Rum & Chocolate Pie with Spicy Peanuts.
• Howie Peach Tarte Tatin with Black Pepper & Balsamic Sabayon.
• Joey Trio of Tarts: Berry Cream with Balsamic Vinegar, Roasted Mango Purée with Rum & Warm Apple Compote.
• C.J. Duck Lollipop Encrusted with Pistachios & Pie Crust and Duck Tart with Cabbage, Tomato & Arugula Purée
• Tre Fennel & Apple Tarte Tatin.
• Brian Vegetarian Tart with Arugula Pesto, Seafood Tart with Celeriac Purée, Chorizo Tart with Pepper Jack Cheese, Fruit Tart with Grand Marnier.
• Sara M. Braised Swiss Chard & Rabbit Stew, Prosciutto Wrapped Rabbit. Vegetable Cigar with Innards and Goat Cheese, Feta & Fig Tart.
• Lia Pork Tenderloin with Artichoke & Chorizo Tart.
• Dale Spinach & Salmon En Croûte and Strawberry, Pear & Saffron Tart.
Elimination Challenge Dishes:
*Sara N. - Shrimp & Scallop Avocado Ceviche, Charred Corn & Pickled Radish.
*Casey - Bacon Wrapped Chicken with Rice & Molasses Coffee Glaze.
*C.J. - Skirt Steak, Black Beans & Jicama Slaw.
*Hung - "Arroz con Pollo" (Chicken with Rice).
*Tre - Jumbo Prawns with Jalapeno Cilantro Dumplings & Lobster Ceviche.
*Howie - Braised Pork Shoulder with Yuca, Sour Orange Mojo.
*Joey - Bean Stew with Lobster, Shrimp, Chicken & Chorizo.
*Lia - Smoked Rainbow Trout with Polenta Cake.
*Dale - Grilled Poblano & Braised Chicken, Tortilla with Fire-Roasted Corn & Jalapeno.
*Sara M. - "Chiles Rellenos" (Stuffed Chiles).
Joey wins the QuickFire Challenge, and the bottom three are Dale, Lia and Hung.
Howie wins the Elimination Challenge, and Lia packs her knives.
Tom Colicchio: (to Hung) I just want to say one other thing, you have incredible knife skills, and you're very fast. Just one word of advice: be very careful with your knife, because you almost cut Casey please be careful.
International Air Dates:
Australia June 18, 2008 on Arena
This week's guest judge, Chef Maria Frumkin, is the pastry chef and owner of the French Bakery Café in Bay Harbor and chef and co-owner with her husband of Duo in Miami.
Lee Anne says in her blog that the chefs were each given four frozen pie crusts to work with. She also says they had 90 minutes for the QuickFire (three times longer than usual) in case anyone chose to make an actual pie.