Top Chef

Melting Pot

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Nov 12, 2008 on Bravo

• The new chefs get right at it with an elimination quick fire. There were 17 at the start and after the quick fire 16 remain. It looks like a good group, some very strong chefs, and two from Europe.

After watching the Next Food Network Failure again, I was glad we would be watching people that could actually cook. I am not upset that they have non Americans in the show, I think it just ups the ante. I know there is a screening process but the kid still in school just like the Next Food Network Failure kid does not have the experience in my opinion.
    I read that apple paring was an idea from Iron Chef Sakai and I do remember that segment. While not what I was expecting, having some knife skills does come in handy.
    I also liked the elimination challenge by doing pairs and having them do ethnic foods, it put a lot of people out of their comfort zones. I do have to agree that if someone came into a place I owned and asked for and Indian dish, I would not be that comfortable and might go to one of my books on the shelf.
    Did you notice how this show is sort of mirroring the Food Network disaster, by having a young kid and an Indian woman, guess that is part of being politically correct.
    I think the two Europeans are among the best, and one or two of the Americans will give them a run for the money, the rest of the field is there for filler.
    If you watch the previews, Stefan wins another quick fire someone else in the show, and I think it is much later in the season. My pick is Stefan, he has it all.