QuickFire Challenge Dishes Shown:
• Stephanie - Tostones with Seared Tuna; Pork and Shrimp Fritter with Brown Butter, Lime and Basil Sauce
• Antonia - Crispy Oysters with Cilantro Plantain Jam; Fried Yellow Plantain with Spicy Slaw
• Lisa - Tostones with Pan Roasted Duck and Mango Papaya Salsa; Sweet Plantain, Red Onion & Chorizo Fritter with Chutney Slaw
• Richard - Pork Meatball with Ripe Plantain Sauce; Green Plantain Chips with Ripe Plantain Salsa
Elimination Challenge Dishes Shown:
Stephanie (Sous Chef: Dale)
• Pork Satay on Sugar Cane Skewer with Miso Almond Sauce
• Coconut Braised Pork with Black Plantain Pancake
• Tropical Fruit and Prosciutto Salad with Chicharrones
Richard (Sous Chef: Spike)
• Fresh Ham with Local Beans
• Pressure Cooked Pork Belly with Pickled Watermelon
• Pork Ribs with Malta and Soy Glaze
• BBQ Pork Shoulder with Braised Greens and Mango
Lisa (Sous Chef: Andrew)
• Citrus Braised Pork Belly with Potato and Plantain Mash
• Adobo Roasted Pork, Black Bean and Onion Tostone
• Pork-Filled Yuca Rellena with Pineapple Mojo
Antonia (Sous Chef: Nikki)
• Honey Pork Belly with Pickled Sweet Pepper Salad
• Curried Pork with Pumpkin and Yuca
• Pigeon Peas with Pork Sausage
First-Run Fan Poll:
Who do you think should pack their knives and go?
A. Antonia 4%
B. Lisa 91%
C. Richard 3%
D. Stephanie 2%
(all percentages are as of the end of the episode.)
Richard is the winner of the Elimination Challenge and drives away in a 2009 Toyota Corolla. Antonia is told to pack her knives and go home.
Stephanie is declared the winner of the QuickFire Challenge and wins the opportunity to assign sous chefs to pair with the Top Chef contestants for the Elimination Challenge.
(Lisa is butchering her pig with a tenderizer.)
Antonia: I was like, 'What are you doing over there?' All I need is my chef knife and my steel. You angle it this way, you can actually just pop it out of its socket. (grimaces and rolls her eyes) I know. It sounds terrible.
Richard: Tough lesson to learn on Top Chef, you know, is that the goal is to bend each challenge to your strength, not to totally change your style to the challenge.
Lisa: (as they begin butchering their pigs) Happy hoggin'!
When three out of four of the brand new, supposedly top quality Forschner cleavers and meat mallets broke as the contestants were attempting to butcher their pigs, Lee Anne went out and got some machetes for them to use.
Richard actually produced six pork dishes for the party, having two spare in case something went wrong in the cooking process. He chose his best four and sent them to the party.
Lee Anne says that there was a fair amount of discussion as to whether the chefs would be asked to make one fritura in 30 minutes, or two in 40. Lee Anne, pointing to the triple QuickFire of the season 1 finale, said that it was more challenging to do two, and at this point in the competition, that's what it's all about.
Before the Judges began making their decision about who would win and who would go home, they called in the Sous Chefs and asked each how they felt to work with their Chef. Each supported their Chef, but Nikki regretted that she had not caught the peas being underdone, and Dale was very complimentary about how Stephanie dealt with him leaving the bacon out overnight. Andrew was questioned closely about working with Lisa, but he had nothing negative to say, and said he repects her deeply as a Chef and person. Spike noted that it was his first time working so closely with Richard, and he said that he was deeply impressed by his creativity and organization.
In Dale's elimination interview, he says that the person he wanted to win it all now that he was gone himself was Stephanie. Spike also said that he was rooting for Richard.
Lisa: (butchering her pig) I feel like I'm in The Flintstones.
The Flinstones was a popular primetime cartoon which featured a stone age family who often giant cuts of dinosaur for dinner.