Top Chef

Wednesday 10:00 PM on Bravo Premiered Mar 08, 2006 Between Seasons

layle1

Top Chef Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• Top Chef is a great concept in reality cooking shows. It is also a "personality" show about chefs trying to prepare food in a different unique way every week. It makes for lively TV.

7.9
    Watched all episodes over and over again. Most of the shows are fun and very entertaining. You quickly learn to cheer for your favorite chefs and agree with the judges when someone is eliminated every week. There are surprise twists and turns. The most favorite chef, Sam, was eliminated in the Hawaiian Semi-Finals, while the least liked chef,(based on a TV poll), Marcel, was selected by the judges as one of the two remaining chefs in the Finals. This has created major interest in tuning in for the last episode.
  • Better than most reality TV shows.

This show is so much better than most of those reality TV shows that are out now. This show rarely has that stupid drama purposely put there for entertainment purposes. This show promises to do what it does, make you hungry. All the Chefs are wonderful and I enjoy watching this show over and over and over again.
  • Food is the best and so are the chef's personalities.

This is show is not bad at all. It's pretty intersting. I love the chef's personality and how they talk to each other and how everybody hates Marcel. It's funny. Also I knew that Cliff was going to do something stupid. I had the feeling. But I didn't know he was going to do something THAT stupid. He didn't deserve to win and thank goodness he is out. He made the show look bad.
  • Watch this watch this watch this watch this

I have watched every season and i love this show . My parents watch this with me . I cant wait for the next episode . Top Chef rules so hard . It is my inspiration to cook like my grand mother . The heat in the kitchen is roarin baby . I like Marcel ( season 2 ) , and Stepahn Asprinio ( season 1 ) , Ilan ( season 2 ) . They all rock but those are my abslolute favorites . . . . .. . . . . . .. .. . . . . . .
  • Familiar, but fun.

"Top Chef" is a reality TV show in which chefs of various ages, backgrounds, and abilities compete for top-of-the-line kitchen equipment and money ($100,000) to kick-start (or sometimes further) their culinary careers. Each week, the contestants are presented with a "quick-fire challege", which determines who has immunity from the main challenge for the week. The format is tired and can be likened to just about any other reality show on TV, but the personalities and differences between the contestents and the judges make the show worth watching. It is unfortunate, however, that the arguments and pettiness amongst the contestents have become the focus of the show. Although it is entertaining, I would like for some of the focus to return to the chef's cooking process and explanation of their dishes.
  • A marriage of television's obsession with "reality" competition, and the proliferation of food-centric programming.

Deftly capitalizes on the meteoric popularity of the Food Network and an increasingly mainstream "foodie" culture, and the public's penchant for obsessively tracking outlandish characters -- I mean, real people. The crazy nature of the challenges notwithstanding (really, how fair is it to compare catering a wedding for 100 people with less than 24 hours notice to a real wedding?), this show is an incredible showcase for the creativity and art of food as more than just a survival substance. Then again, who really knows how good the food is when you, the devoted viewer, can't actually taste it? Personally, Season 1 still holds a purist place in my heart vs. Season 2. It seems that in the move to LA, and perhaps the desire for greater entertainment value, the contestants and dramatic arcs focus less on the food, or even the chefs' skills, than on the inter-chef DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA.
  • Great show without Gordon Ramsey to bother!

This is a great show but without Gordon Ramsey down
    Your throat in this Bravo show. It spotlights fifteen up
    And coming chefs who are vying for the prize as well
    As trying to be the head chef at a restaurant. Very
    Good drama and it has been my guilty pleasure recently for
    The past few shows and no wonder it is a hit with the audience.
  • A group of chefs compete to win a contract to work at a top reataurant. They are different ages and come from different cullinary schools and some no formal training.

5.4
    This show is sometimes entertaining. Sometimes it seems sad though because the contestants are so unkind to one another and the main judge is so cruel. I wish the show had more heart. It seems as if reality T V as reached its limit. I am getting tired of watching \"real\" people suffer and struggle. Sometimes it feels like the news instead of entertainment. I also wonder about some of the challenges that are given to the contestants. One show that I watched was to have them make a superb meal out of a can. It was highly unlikely that this would happen in a high class restaurant. Top chef is a good idea for a fiction T V show.
  • I think this is a very interesting show. It really challenges the chefs expertise on so many levels. Not everyone is mature, some have ego problems although all are capable of creating a palatable dish.

In the Holiday Spirit episode, I was disappointed that Ilia and Cliff didnt realize that they needed more variety and more food. Cliff and Ilia dismissed Mia's suggestions, and never really asked for input from the team. Their group was not a team. I wished Mia would have put up more of a fight to be heard, but look at Cliffs' response to her meek suggestions. Ilia and Cliff left no room for anyone elses imput/suggestions. I was very sorry to see Mia go. I think that Sam and Cliff are the closest to what a top chef should be.
  • I like top chef alot because unlike other shows it doesn't seem to be fixed. And it makes for great tv!

Top chef is kinda like project runway except for instead of fashion its food. I like that every one is on a level playing field there are no favorites or people who have a higher advantage. I think that the challenges are really inovative and require the chef's to think. It's really a great show.
  • Would be better if we could dispense with the 'drama'.

I like Top Chef. However, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think the show would be a lot more interesting without all of these meaningless 'squabbles' backstage. I would perfer it if they focused more of their screentime actually cooking rather than fighting. Every show that's out has this need for unnessacary fighting over nothing, do they think it increases ratings? If I wanted to see two chefs bicker, I could easily go downtown. Atleast then I would have something nice to eat. Aside from the 'drama', I think Top Chef is a decent program. I perfer "Project Runway", but if there's nothing else on, I'll watch this.
  • i love this show a lot...it is awesome...nice show i can watch with the whole family

this show has become one of my favorite reality contests because it seems honest. most of these reality shows are fixed such as cough american idol. i like this one because they are real challenges and it all is actually real. the judges are awesome even though they seem intense. the only thing i hate about the show are a few of the contestants. some of them that i liked in the beginning i hate now and some i never really liked in the first place...i guess the real characters come out after a few weeks of the competition and as you keep getting further and further into it. real colors start to show as the saying goes. i do like this show despite this
  • Reality TV better than the same old stuff..

Wow this was finally a new reality TV bring reality back into the show rather than all the new dating or drame shows that claim to be reality TV. This is Bravo TV oringal with some taste, ha ha not pun intended. But turely does make the mouth water. I was addicted to the first season and loved every minute, with great judges and people actually being people was refreshing as they compete to win a prize. There was no secerts etc just competition and winners and losers. Season 2 is a little less tastey as season 1, there is more drama but not a part of the producers and crew, rather the not so pleasant and honest people that made it to the show. I am sure season three they will have higher standerds again. I miss Katie as the host but they are doing fine, and Tom still rocks as head judge. And you got to love the guest judges!!
  • A quality talent reality show that actually stays away from backroom drama and antics so that we can follow the challenges rather than the catfights and tears.

"Top Chef" is a fine reality show, along the lines of Project Runway, in that it brings together people who have actual solid talent in a field that mixes creativity with skill (unlike, say, America's Next Top Model, which may be fun to watch, but no one is actually watching because of the high skill level and strategic thinking of the competitors). Viewers can appreciate the difficulty of the challenges, enjoy watching the cooking, and mull over the judging -- even if they are not top chefs themselves, as cooking is a visually satisfying thing, and we all want to eat good food. The cast is usually satisfying in their mix of personalities, and gladly, there is little room for tantrums and backroom hysterics: the focus is, solidly, on the cooking and the competition. The show isn't groundbreaking, but it does come out as a mature, very watchable series in the reality-show universe.
  • Not as good as Project Runway, but a great substitute for when Runway is "auf!"

I never saw much of season one, and i didn't really feel like it either. But i have gotten really into season two! The weird thing is, being a picky eater i would probably never eat most of the stuff they cook. However, they make it sound really good! I sometimes wish i could try it!
    I also like how they show all the drama with the contestants. It takes the show to a whole new level so it's not just another boring cooking show. The challenges are good, and i'm always hooked from beginning to end.
    Overall show grade: A-
  • Compotion at best!!!!!

I just thought about it and since I have been watching this show since season one. I think this show brings reality to the best level of suspence! Did that make sence? This show is based on cooking (sort of like hells kithen) but better. I do not know what drew me to this show but there is something so cool that blows Home EC out of the water!Overall I hope this show has some mor seasons because I am tuining in!
  • Yet another cooking based reality show, with some interesting twists.

5.8
    I got roped in mid season. Was interested in the quick fire challenges more than the ellimination challenges. I liked seeing the new ways they came up with to test the skills of these obviously stressed cooks. Early on I picked out my easy to hate list and my easy to like list. Most based on who I felt cooked the way I like to, who I felt would be someone I\\\'d want to cook with, or to cook for me.

I loved the gas station challenge, when they were forced to create something from the typical everyday items anyone can get ahold of. And the street cart challenge looked like fun. I loved guessing who come out on top and who would be elimnated at the end of the show.

I must admit towards the end I too jumped on the Tiffani bashing bandwagon. I cheered and laughed my butt off watching the last episode as the old chefs voiced their opinions on who should be the winner.
  • A fairly interesting show with one major flaw

6.7
    With a diverse cast (with regards to personalities), Top chef did something that Project Runway failed to, it kept the viewers intrested in the contastants. On Project Runway everyone was artistic and a bit snobbish. However, on Top Chef , while the snobbish artist was represented, so were the humble fat man, the ambitous newcomer and many more. Also, the ability to relate to cooking helped the viewer feel more comfertable. The one major flaw was that the people behind the scences were too involved. They influcened to many eliminations to keep certaint characthers in for ratings. This stupidity on the part of those people actually caused many viewers to swear to not watch another episode...
  • They Did It Again!

Kudos to Bravo for developing yet another reality show that I have become absolutely hooked on. Who would have thought? I can't cook. I have no interest in becoming a chef. Why would I come to love some cooking show? Ah! But this was not just another cooking show. With a great selection of competitors, we had just enough rivalry and opposing personalities to keep this show interesting. The show was set up brilliantly with no dwelling spent on any one area. The show featured two challenges per episode including the one for the immunity. The judges no-holds barred assessment of the top and bottom chefs made for interesting watching as well. I didn't miss an episode of this series and perhaps learned a little about cooking along the way. I hope they bring it back for another season.
  • I personally think this is a great show

I really like Top Chef. I was so glad when Harlod won. I wanted him to win since the beginning. This show has a lot of drama and delicious foods. I really liked every episode because the challenges show their weakness and their strongest abilities. Every chef had a different personality and that made the show more interesting
  • A great new chef show from the creators of "Project Runway". A great concept with 2 challenges per episode. Also has lots of great guest chefs.

Bravo, in my eyes, is the master of competition game shows. Although you can tell they edit it to their advantage. The contests are always interesting and the challenges are even more so. I love how they incorporate two challenges into each episode. A quickfire challenge that decides who has immunity from elimination and an elimination challenge that eliminates a contestant. With the wide variety of contestants it makes a gret show to watch. Check it out every Wed night on Bravo.
  • Getting better by the secont.

I luv to cook and even if i didint like to cook the show has attitude and spunk. I luv the show. It is my dreeam too be a great chef like bobby flay. The show gave me ideas of recipies.I think the show could go very very far if people watched it.
  • Bravo takes their reality series to the kitchen. Contestents compete against each other to become the "Top Chef." There's no fooling around in this kitchen as their skills are being tested from day one.

I was hesitant about how well this show would come out after seeing the initial previews. In replacing Project Runway I was fearing the attitude shown in the previews would be similar to all other reality shows where there’s always a character that has some skill but most love to hate. If you watch this shows credits you see that Bravo has a say in some of the elimination process decisions so you know it isn’t all skill based. However after the first episode of Top Chef I could tell things would be different. The contestants come from professional backgrounds and while some are less suited for the job they are all given an equal chance to win. So far it’s a great series and I have high hopes for it!
  • This reality show covers 12 chefs competing for a feature in Food & Wine magazine and $100,000. Each episode begins with a Quick-Fire challenge, the winner of which recieves immunity from elimination for that show. Each episode culminates in an eliminat

First, I HATE reality TV. And I really like this how. It probably has to do with my restaurant background, but I find the food competition pretty interesting, particularly the variety of challenges thrown at these aspiring Top Chefs. Their personality clashes prove pretty interesting as well. Some of them are such snobs and others seem pretty clueless in a kitchen (i.e., I wouldn't want to work with them on a busy kitchen line). All in all, pretty entertaining.
  • Better then Hell's Kitchen, not as good as The Next Food Network Star.

This show follows the Survior format. Elimination Challange, followed by Elimination trial.

The tests so far have been interesting. The personalities of the Chefs are really starting to show.

Steven and Tiffany must go, they are both way to arrogant for their own good! Steven is such a snob. While it appears that he is a competant chef, I don't ever see him running a kitchen with his pertetual condesending manner and lack of people skills. Tiffany has the skills also, but wow, what she does not understand about customer service could fill volumes. She also appears to lack fundamental people skills.

The jury is out on the rest of the group. No one seems to really stand out, although Miguel is a real charater.
1 2 >