Top Chef

Wednesday 10:00 PM on Bravo Premiered Mar 08, 2006 Between Seasons

layle1

Top Chef Fan Reviews (58)

• The """F""" BOMB!!!!

The Asian girl you have on this new season is HORRENDOUS! Don't they know they are being video taped and you ALLOW this much LANGUAGE! She cant find enough ways to use the ""F"" I say NOT a LADY in any way and the owner of the restaurant that leaves HER in charge (like she stated) MUST NOT know!! Imagine what the staff and customers must hear! I see LAWSUIT down the line for her assume she didn't talk this way in audition! But you continue to let her talk this way on camera! Worse than trailer park is a time for anything but NATIONAL T V??
  • padma is why i won't watch

I once loved Top Chef. It was all about competition between chefs with one exceptional chef winning. That's how it should be. Then one night I happened to see Padma on that late night Bravo show (by accident--it came on after Top Chef, and I was getting ready for bed, and the fact that Padma was on caught my attention) and she was absolutely gushing about campaigning for Obama--I lost all respect for her, and lost all interest in the show. Apparently she's either so wealthy that his policies won't touch her or so stupid due to her lofty celebrity status that she can't see the truth. Whichever it is, I too am driven by my love of country and memory of what this country once was and could be again, that I could not care less about this show, and feel ill at the sight of this woman. I am so disappointed.

• The last episode in PR was crazy, Lisa should have gotten eliminated , she has a bad attitude and she can't cook.

1.5
    The people voted to get lisa off in the POLL but you did not listen Antonina is a much better cook!!! Don't know if I will not watch the show next season. She has been the most level headed and the best cook there, Stephine did not even have enough dishes, they left the meat out and had to through it away.. Big mistake and it is a shame I thought the poll was correct to get ride of Lisa!! BAD Judging on the judges parts!!! I think the guy should go all the way but we will see. Thank you
  • Top Chef is a reality competition show in which chefs compete against each other in weekly challenges. They are judged by a panel of people connected to the food and wine industry with one or more contestants eliminated each week.

1.7
    I still remember the first season of this show, and how Dave was knocked out. The was a final surprise knock-out competition in which the contestants had prepare food for three different kinds of people, those groups would then decide which was their favorite and the contestants who had the most votes would stay in. Harold won two, Dave won one, and Tiffany won NONE! Yet, who was knocked out...DAVE! It was an insult to all the viewers. I have since boycotted Top Chef and Bravo TV Network. I was outraged to hear that a second season of the show was produced and that the same egotistical "authorities" (Tom Colicchio and Gail Simmons) have returned. They are a disgrace, and in no means should be considered equitable judges. I urge all the viewers out there who resent heavy handed cheating and favoritism to BOYCOTT THIS SHOW!
  • Could you dress anymore sleezy?!?

On 1/1/16 Sneak Peek episode.

Very sleezy Padma & Guest hostess.

Don't ruin the show. Get someone to dress you appopriately.
  • Holy Escamoly - wow

Just finished watching Top Chef - Boston; love the show, however what I really DO NOT love is seeing chef's tasting their dishes as they are cooking them and then putting the spoon they've just had in their mouth back in the cooking pot!!!!!! That is just soooooooo disgusting - didn't their moms teach them anything?
  • top ched bullies and permissive production crew and judges

I may be watching an older season but I am appalled at how Marcel was bullied by the 3 other chef's near the end of series. I find it outrageous how he was physically assaulted by Cliff. If the hosts and producers can't see how this individual has been treated - they all need to go to a class on what's appropriate. And to boot- Marcel is the best chef left - particularly since he has been professional compared to other 3 remaining people. Marcel is only one that doesn't have an attitude. One contestant who hadn't seen him in 2 months and sees him in first class flight says he is already annoying him- that is a trouble maker and the others are bullies. Sometimes when 3 people with all of a similar type of faults get together it can be dangerous for the 4th person. I hope they treat Marcel properly.

As an aside - I was so disappointed he lost but understand and not convinced he wasn't sabotaged with his "missing" fish. I was so pleased and proud of Gail Simmons and P. Lakshi defended Marcel when this bully ex contestant insinuated his food was horrible without even eating it. I realise this was an old episode but just shocked by this mob mentality attack following what was nothing short of a choke hold type of lock they physically put Marcel throw. Frankly, I am surprised he didn't sue CBS,
  • So - let me get this straight... Ilan pretty much sticks to what he knows, is a JERK to a fellow team mate.. and is then handed the honor of Top Chef? What?!?!

4.9
    Ilan played it safe through the entire competition with his "Spanish Cuisine." I think cooking is an art - a lot like drawing or painting. I myself am an artist and I must remind myself that Picasso, Monet and other great artists created the foundations of the art community because they dared to break boundaries and step outside their safe zone. Marcel is already trying new things - just like a wise man would.

Marcel may not have won Top Chef - but he will be the Top Chef in life. With his creativity, winning attitude and fortitude - he will go far. Poor Ilan.. Even though he has the $100k.. he is stuck inside his safe zone,..scorning anyone else for being different or trying something new. It must be hard to feel that inferior. Ilan reminds me of the bully on the playground.. he has to build his "gang" of friends around him to pick on the one guy who is actually showing some talent.

You know, the entire season Ilan spoke so very poorly of Marcel, and spoke openly of his hatred for him. But I can only recall a couple of times where Marcel reciprocated - and that was only when provoked. Again, he is showing much wisdom beyond his years.. and beyond that of all his opponents - including bloated Betty.

"BRAVO" to you Marcel! You are the TOP CHEF in many people's eyes and we look forward to seeing what you will create in the future!! Best wishes!
  • Real Chefs of Texas Flip Out -- Thoughts on Season Nine's Descent To the Rest of Bravo's Execrable Programming.

I don't like reality TV. Bear with me. That statement is not the complete logical disconnect that it appears at first read. The higher echelon of reality fare -- no Kardashians need apply -- focuses not on the deconstruction of the human race, but on gamesmanship and excellence. This season the food played second chair to the petty bullying of a clique of women contestants. If I watched Big Brother or any of the Real Housewives franchises, maybe I'd have a different take on this season. But I come for the food.

It's quite clear that early on the producers saw a story arc and decided to exploit it into a gender-biased season. Even if the numbers don't support me, the editing made it feel as though I was seeing more boy vs. girl challenges than in any other season. The foundation of that was the bullying of Bev by certain of the women chefs rumpus. Scripted comments and editing made this bigger than it was, but it was still happening and the decision was made to capitalize on it as though Top Chef was one of the bottom-feeding reality programs and not an Emmy-winning show.

I'm sure the producers thought it was a sound decision ratings-wise, and the numbers may prove them correct. As a viewer, however, I believe it was a tactical misstep because that decision took me completely out of the Top Chef experience; something that hasn't happened since season two and the hijinks with Marcel. If I watch any season nine episode, I do not root for the best chef to win. I root for anyone but Sarah, Lindsay or Heather to win and begrudge all of them their cash prizes and perks that go with the wins. This is not how I want to watch the show. I come for the food.

As long as I'm passing blame around, it's only fair to share it with the women who sparked the story idea. There are always personality clashes in a work setting, and a competition only makes it more fraught. We see it every season; the chefs snap at each other, accuse one or the other of laziness. It's all happened before. What hasn't happened is the persistence and the ostracization to this level. For whatever reason, mob mentality took over and never left. What's sad is that, because no one in the mob could detach and regain a modicum of professional conduct, it provided the opening for the producers to flavor the whole season with the ladies' ugly behavior.

With any luck there will be a more professional group of chefs next season, and focus will shift primarily back to the competition. Like I said, I come for the food.
  • A group of chefs compete to win a contract to work at a top reataurant. They are different ages and come from different cullinary schools and some no formal training.

5.4
    This show is sometimes entertaining. Sometimes it seems sad though because the contestants are so unkind to one another and the main judge is so cruel. I wish the show had more heart. It seems as if reality T V as reached its limit. I am getting tired of watching \"real\" people suffer and struggle. Sometimes it feels like the news instead of entertainment. I also wonder about some of the challenges that are given to the contestants. One show that I watched was to have them make a superb meal out of a can. It was highly unlikely that this would happen in a high class restaurant. Top chef is a good idea for a fiction T V show.
  • I have sat on the edge of my cushy throne every season. I have smelled through my plasma, and "Amened" to every descion". This season, well, it's not worth the time.

5.8
    I have sat on the edge of my cushy throne every season. I have smelled through my plasma, and "Amened" to every descion". This season, well, it's not worth the time. Bad choice, after bad choice. Conspiracy theories aside, whoever is making the last call should be fired. It's one thing to challenge my judgement, but keep me coming back. It's another thing to give me earfuls of mango sticky rice, "week after week", then kill the very essence of competition______ The "COMPETITION". Who wants to watch annoying bad cooks, I'll go to "Lisa's Fine Dinning" for that. You've taken suspense and controversy past commonsense and the words of your own judges. Maybe it's bad editing. Guess I'll SETTLE for "Hell's Kitchen".
  • Yet another cooking based reality show, with some interesting twists.

5.8
    I got roped in mid season. Was interested in the quick fire challenges more than the ellimination challenges. I liked seeing the new ways they came up with to test the skills of these obviously stressed cooks. Early on I picked out my easy to hate list and my easy to like list. Most based on who I felt cooked the way I like to, who I felt would be someone I\\\'d want to cook with, or to cook for me.

I loved the gas station challenge, when they were forced to create something from the typical everyday items anyone can get ahold of. And the street cart challenge looked like fun. I loved guessing who come out on top and who would be elimnated at the end of the show.

I must admit towards the end I too jumped on the Tiffani bashing bandwagon. I cheered and laughed my butt off watching the last episode as the old chefs voiced their opinions on who should be the winner.
  • Kind of a familiar area

We have all seen cooking shows and I think that this one more or less stands out on its own. It does have a lot of exciting moments but not enough to satisfy me.
  • Top Chef Finale was a bust!

Was I the only one who was disappointed with the Finale of Top Chef? Not only was it boring and uneventful, the winner was obvious. Extremely disappointed. It felt like everyone was tired and just wanted to go home.No big bang at the end, no cheering and joy, just a "You won..Congrats" here's some wine. WOW! What a disappointment!

There were also several other problems with the production threw out the season. I loved how when someone would go home they would show them walking out with their knives in hand and then show them packing their knives and walking out the door. Oooops! Guess the editors and producers wern't quite on their toes with that one. I'm looking forward to next season.I hop ehtey get it together and learn from their mistakes.
  • Season 4 is slow, but I'm still hooked!

This is one of the few shows that gets a series recording on my DVR. I love the competition and the food these great chefs produce. While this latest season seems to be low on personality, I love the fact it is set in the midwest! Tom Colicchio offers a wonderfully refreshing look at cooking food that is simple and clear cut. Don't be lazy, don't overseason and don't put too much on your plate! I've learned a lot about the culinary world in terms of the guest chef judges they have on the show. Can't wait to see who wins this year!
  • A fairly interesting show with one major flaw

6.7
    With a diverse cast (with regards to personalities), Top chef did something that Project Runway failed to, it kept the viewers intrested in the contastants. On Project Runway everyone was artistic and a bit snobbish. However, on Top Chef , while the snobbish artist was represented, so were the humble fat man, the ambitous newcomer and many more. Also, the ability to relate to cooking helped the viewer feel more comfertable. The one major flaw was that the people behind the scences were too involved. They influcened to many eliminations to keep certaint characthers in for ratings. This stupidity on the part of those people actually caused many viewers to swear to not watch another episode...
  • This is not the real world,this show needs to focus on the cooking & the deserving chef's not the love story between 2 people who should not even be there anymore. Stop sending the good people home.

I really do love this show I've watched it every season but on this season so far Im not impressed. I pretty much always agree with the judge's choices on who to send home. However when Ariane was sent home I couldn't believe it,their were 2 other people on the bottom that deserved to home wayyyy ahead of her,shes an amazing chef and should have been on the show a lot longer than she was. Also this week I did not agree with the decision to send Jamie home. I thought for sure she would make it in the top 2 along with Stephan,she's is one of the best chef's there and should have stayed on the show longer instead she went home so the show can play up the stupid love story of 2 chef's who no one cares about. I think the only reason Leah has not gone home yet and two other deserving chef's have gone home is because the producers want to play up this romance bs between Hosea and Leah and I personally do not care. I dont watch this show for the drama and I think if the show continues to go on this way,they will lose a lot of viewers,including myself. At this point it would not surprise me if the remaining 2 chef's are Leah & Hosea just so they can go up against each other. This show needs to focus on the good chef's & not the ones who hussie their way through the show aka Leah!
  • Hope you do a better job of choosing contestants for next season!

Funny the first thing I am admonished with before writing my review is "remember to keep the language clean." You failed to give the same to your contestants! I watch MOST of the programs on FoodTV and one never hears such filth from their chefs! I watch MANY other cooking/baking shows on other networks also, and again, one doesn't hear 'bleeps' to cover everyother word flowing from their chefs lips! A very blatant display of lack of character, upbringing and respect for others besides revealing a lack of vocabulary or education, no matter how much 'schooling' they may sport!

I sincerely hope that you add a 'character' catagory to the contestants applications in the future! A percentage of their final score necessary to make the Top Chep competition should include just that. I did watch ALL of the episodes this past season, as well as the three previous. However, if the verbage does not change in the future, I regret that I will have viewed my last Top Chef!!!
  • Would be better if we could dispense with the 'drama'.

I like Top Chef. However, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think the show would be a lot more interesting without all of these meaningless 'squabbles' backstage. I would perfer it if they focused more of their screentime actually cooking rather than fighting. Every show that's out has this need for unnessacary fighting over nothing, do they think it increases ratings? If I wanted to see two chefs bicker, I could easily go downtown. Atleast then I would have something nice to eat. Aside from the 'drama', I think Top Chef is a decent program. I perfer "Project Runway", but if there's nothing else on, I'll watch this.
  • Better then Hell's Kitchen, not as good as The Next Food Network Star.

This show follows the Survior format. Elimination Challange, followed by Elimination trial.

The tests so far have been interesting. The personalities of the Chefs are really starting to show.

Steven and Tiffany must go, they are both way to arrogant for their own good! Steven is such a snob. While it appears that he is a competant chef, I don't ever see him running a kitchen with his pertetual condesending manner and lack of people skills. Tiffany has the skills also, but wow, what she does not understand about customer service could fill volumes. She also appears to lack fundamental people skills.

The jury is out on the rest of the group. No one seems to really stand out, although Miguel is a real charater.
  • I'm not a big reality show fan but I had enjoyed Project Runway (it got me started sewing again) and decided to give this one a shot

7.8
    I enjoyed seeing the dishes the chefs prepared and as Project Runway had me back at my sewing machine, this show actually made me want to visit my kitchen! This year's winner had me very disappointed; I had hoped there was SOME reality to the program. But Ilia was such a whiner and complainer (about Marcel)I was agasht when they announced him as top chef. All of his dishes had his Spanish cooking flavor to them and none of it looked very high class (although I do give him credit for the Bay leaf accent).

Marcel's food was all very different and looked like the food I ate when I dined at the Jules Verne. It seemed pretty clear that his two assistants weren't behind him very much; although Sam did help him out on the one course. If he served just a salad it certainly was nicer to look at than the stuff out of a can on toast Ilan prepared.

I will watch again next season but I hope they will give everyone a lecture on professonalism and when something such as the hair cutting incident occurs EVERYONE involved will be disqualified from being Top Chef. How to fill in the remaining episodes...bring back however many it takes (even if you need people from the previous season) who were told to take their knives and go for other reasons. Z
  • Top Chef is a great concept in reality cooking shows. It is also a "personality" show about chefs trying to prepare food in a different unique way every week. It makes for lively TV.

7.9
    Watched all episodes over and over again. Most of the shows are fun and very entertaining. You quickly learn to cheer for your favorite chefs and agree with the judges when someone is eliminated every week. There are surprise twists and turns. The most favorite chef, Sam, was eliminated in the Hawaiian Semi-Finals, while the least liked chef,(based on a TV poll), Marcel, was selected by the judges as one of the two remaining chefs in the Finals. This has created major interest in tuning in for the last episode.
  • A marriage of television's obsession with "reality" competition, and the proliferation of food-centric programming.

Deftly capitalizes on the meteoric popularity of the Food Network and an increasingly mainstream "foodie" culture, and the public's penchant for obsessively tracking outlandish characters -- I mean, real people. The crazy nature of the challenges notwithstanding (really, how fair is it to compare catering a wedding for 100 people with less than 24 hours notice to a real wedding?), this show is an incredible showcase for the creativity and art of food as more than just a survival substance. Then again, who really knows how good the food is when you, the devoted viewer, can't actually taste it? Personally, Season 1 still holds a purist place in my heart vs. Season 2. It seems that in the move to LA, and perhaps the desire for greater entertainment value, the contestants and dramatic arcs focus less on the food, or even the chefs' skills, than on the inter-chef DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA.
  • A quality talent reality show that actually stays away from backroom drama and antics so that we can follow the challenges rather than the catfights and tears.

"Top Chef" is a fine reality show, along the lines of Project Runway, in that it brings together people who have actual solid talent in a field that mixes creativity with skill (unlike, say, America's Next Top Model, which may be fun to watch, but no one is actually watching because of the high skill level and strategic thinking of the competitors). Viewers can appreciate the difficulty of the challenges, enjoy watching the cooking, and mull over the judging -- even if they are not top chefs themselves, as cooking is a visually satisfying thing, and we all want to eat good food. The cast is usually satisfying in their mix of personalities, and gladly, there is little room for tantrums and backroom hysterics: the focus is, solidly, on the cooking and the competition. The show isn't groundbreaking, but it does come out as a mature, very watchable series in the reality-show universe.
  • This reality show covers 12 chefs competing for a feature in Food & Wine magazine and $100,000. Each episode begins with a Quick-Fire challenge, the winner of which recieves immunity from elimination for that show. Each episode culminates in an eliminat

First, I HATE reality TV. And I really like this how. It probably has to do with my restaurant background, but I find the food competition pretty interesting, particularly the variety of challenges thrown at these aspiring Top Chefs. Their personality clashes prove pretty interesting as well. Some of them are such snobs and others seem pretty clueless in a kitchen (i.e., I wouldn't want to work with them on a busy kitchen line). All in all, pretty entertaining.
  • Still cooking!

I really like this show. My girlfriend started me watching Top Chef on the second season. I was definitely reluctant to consume myself into a cooking show, but I was pleasantly surprised. I like Tom Collichio a lot and think he has an honest character that is refreshing to the reality genre. Anthony Bourdain is always entertaining as a guest judge and Padma Lakshmi isn't so bad to look at. I feel that the contestants (chefs) on the show are well skilled and the challenges are well thought out. I like learning things when I watch reality television and appreciate the writing and talent on this program. Keep it up Top Chef!
  • this show...

This season I have to agree is going a bit slow. However, I too am hooked. I like some of the characters they have this year. For instence: Dale... God help me he is so annoying and I can't wait until he is kicked off. Which probably won't happen. Richard... I liked how he is giving up credit to other when the deserve it. That is ver nice of him but I am sure he is doing that to show how nice he is and he is probably hoping that will get him somewhere. Antionia... Noticed she won the last two challenges the quick fire and the elimation. That rocks. Lisa... is an odd sort not too sure about her yet. The cake she made for the wedding wars was ugly as the judges said but she did what the groom wanted so. Spike... I don't know what to say about him yet. He wants credit but doesn't help that much. And, the austrailian guy... that sucked he deserved to stay and he was screwed... I have to agree with him a judge just doesn't like him. So that is so far my feelings they may change as the show continues but that is it so far.
  • If you can't stand the heat... go to Hell's Kitchen.... naw.. don't go there... watch Top Chef

I loved the first season! I was hooked... hope for Lee Ann and now i'm happy to see her working with the show.

At the end of Season Two I had a serious issue with one of the judge's decisions. They were in Hawaii, my home state, the challenge was to make two dishes for a Birthday Luau. Sam (my favorite chef on Season two) make a dessert like Haupia (coconut gelatin) and Poke. They booted Sam off because he didn't COOK anything... well, first of all a lot of Hawaiian food isn't cooked... and secondly, there were a NUMBER of challenges when they didn't have to cook (ice cream challenge, vending machine challenge,) so why is this NOW a rule?

While I understand that they make decisions using help from the producers to make it the show they want. I don't agree with that decision... it was arbitrary and unfair.

I'm still watching though... here's to Season III!
  • I think this is a very interesting show. It really challenges the chefs expertise on so many levels. Not everyone is mature, some have ego problems although all are capable of creating a palatable dish.

In the Holiday Spirit episode, I was disappointed that Ilia and Cliff didnt realize that they needed more variety and more food. Cliff and Ilia dismissed Mia's suggestions, and never really asked for input from the team. Their group was not a team. I wished Mia would have put up more of a fight to be heard, but look at Cliffs' response to her meek suggestions. Ilia and Cliff left no room for anyone elses imput/suggestions. I was very sorry to see Mia go. I think that Sam and Cliff are the closest to what a top chef should be.
  • They Did It Again!

Kudos to Bravo for developing yet another reality show that I have become absolutely hooked on. Who would have thought? I can't cook. I have no interest in becoming a chef. Why would I come to love some cooking show? Ah! But this was not just another cooking show. With a great selection of competitors, we had just enough rivalry and opposing personalities to keep this show interesting. The show was set up brilliantly with no dwelling spent on any one area. The show featured two challenges per episode including the one for the immunity. The judges no-holds barred assessment of the top and bottom chefs made for interesting watching as well. I didn't miss an episode of this series and perhaps learned a little about cooking along the way. I hope they bring it back for another season.
< 1 2