Top Chef

Wednesday 10:00 PM on Bravo Premiered Mar 08, 2006 Between Seasons

layle1

Top Chef Fan Reviews (54)

• Top Chef is a reality competition show in which chefs compete against each other in weekly challenges. They are judged by a panel of people connected to the food and wine industry with one or more contestants eliminated each week.

1.7
    I still remember the first season of this show, and how Dave was knocked out. The was a final surprise knock-out competition in which the contestants had prepare food for three different kinds of people, those groups would then decide which was their favorite and the contestants who had the most votes would stay in. Harold won two, Dave won one, and Tiffany won NONE! Yet, who was knocked out...DAVE! It was an insult to all the viewers. I have since boycotted Top Chef and Bravo TV Network. I was outraged to hear that a second season of the show was produced and that the same egotistical "authorities" (Tom Colicchio and Gail Simmons) have returned. They are a disgrace, and in no means should be considered equitable judges. I urge all the viewers out there who resent heavy handed cheating and favoritism to BOYCOTT THIS SHOW!
  • i will never watch top chef again. it was my favorite show on t.v. and i have never missed an episode.

i cant belive u voted Trey off. he was and exellent chef and a pleasure to watch. i am so upset. i feel that the judges where bias unfair and uncompent. im just appalled at this whole thing. its just amazing that there were so many other contestants that should of been voted off before. this is a travisty to the whole bravo network shows involving contestants and judging. you should feel terible for this professional young man. i dont no how you sleep at night but those stupid judges have to live with their descisions and how it effects peoples entire lives.
  • padma is why i won't watch

I once loved Top Chef. It was all about competition between chefs with one exceptional chef winning. That's how it should be. Then one night I happened to see Padma on that late night Bravo show (by accident--it came on after Top Chef, and I was getting ready for bed, and the fact that Padma was on caught my attention) and she was absolutely gushing about campaigning for Obama--I lost all respect for her, and lost all interest in the show. Apparently she's either so wealthy that his policies won't touch her or so stupid due to her lofty celebrity status that she can't see the truth. Whichever it is, I too am driven by my love of country and memory of what this country once was and could be again, that I could not care less about this show, and feel ill at the sight of this woman. I am so disappointed.

• The last episode in PR was crazy, Lisa should have gotten eliminated , she has a bad attitude and she can't cook.

1.5
    The people voted to get lisa off in the POLL but you did not listen Antonina is a much better cook!!! Don't know if I will not watch the show next season. She has been the most level headed and the best cook there, Stephine did not even have enough dishes, they left the meat out and had to through it away.. Big mistake and it is a shame I thought the poll was correct to get ride of Lisa!! BAD Judging on the judges parts!!! I think the guy should go all the way but we will see. Thank you
  • A group of chefs compete to win a contract to work at a top reataurant. They are different ages and come from different cullinary schools and some no formal training.

5.4
    This show is sometimes entertaining. Sometimes it seems sad though because the contestants are so unkind to one another and the main judge is so cruel. I wish the show had more heart. It seems as if reality T V as reached its limit. I am getting tired of watching \"real\" people suffer and struggle. Sometimes it feels like the news instead of entertainment. I also wonder about some of the challenges that are given to the contestants. One show that I watched was to have them make a superb meal out of a can. It was highly unlikely that this would happen in a high class restaurant. Top chef is a good idea for a fiction T V show.
  • Top Chef Finale was a bust!

Was I the only one who was disappointed with the Finale of Top Chef? Not only was it boring and uneventful, the winner was obvious. Extremely disappointed. It felt like everyone was tired and just wanted to go home.No big bang at the end, no cheering and joy, just a "You won..Congrats" here's some wine. WOW! What a disappointment!

There were also several other problems with the production threw out the season. I loved how when someone would go home they would show them walking out with their knives in hand and then show them packing their knives and walking out the door. Oooops! Guess the editors and producers wern't quite on their toes with that one. I'm looking forward to next season.I hop ehtey get it together and learn from their mistakes.
  • Enjoy the Food Network? Always thought you could be the best cook in the world. Then Top Chef is for you. This reality competition takes Chef's from all different backgrounds and see who comes out as Top Chef.

Top Chef began after the huge success seen by its predecessor Project Runway. It took a real life skill that could not be hidden by camera edits because the contestants had to produce a finished product. Top Chef is a great program for all food lovers. You can see the most amazing dishes created in a matter of minutes or hours depending the challenge.

The premise is simple. The show starts off with a Quickfire challenge, which I consider the preamble to the show. The Quickfire is designed to see what the Chef's can do in a small amount of time using only their background and prior knowledge. They have no planning and almost always make it right down to the buzzer. Typically the bottom three and top three chef's are showcased. The bottom three are aware of what they did wrong and will have to "bring it" in the Elimination Challenge later in the episode. Typically the Winner of the Quickfire receives immunity in the Elimination Challenge competition, which can be great if the elimination challenge is not team based.

Then the show continues with the Elimination Challenge, which allows for more prep and planning on a budget of course, with limited access to the stocked kitchen. Sometimes the Chef's are so stumped they are even planning in the supermarket as they find items and go from there. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. As I mentioned above the Elimination Challenge could be individual based or team based, but typically it is team based. So when a member of your team has immunity it just means that everyone else has to step up so your team does not fall behind. Some of the Chef's get lost and think oh, one of our team members has immunity so that means we won't be on the chopping block. Wrong!!

During the first season it was everyman/woman for his/herself and when they formed teams it was a nightmare. As the series has grown more contestants are realizing it is helpful if you can get along with your teammates. It not only helps you not get eliminated, but you turn out a better product for the guests to enjoy.

The judging only takes place at the event the Chef's are creating dishes for. Tom Coliccho is the "Chef" judge and he stops in the kitchen to see how the contestants are progressing. One season a Chef forgot an ingredient and Chef Tom saw that ingredient being prepped and commented at Judges' table about why did that ingredient disappear. The ingredient could have made the dish better and was subsequently sent packing. So his presence could be helpful or hurtful depending on which way you see it.

There is always a guest judge and recently they have brought in Anthony Bourdain and Ted Allen to spicen the mix up. This show is just great entertainment and always enjoyable. Sometimes a little to predictable, but every now and then there is a suprise. Bon Appetit!
  • I have sat on the edge of my cushy throne every season. I have smelled through my plasma, and "Amened" to every descion". This season, well, it's not worth the time.

5.8
    I have sat on the edge of my cushy throne every season. I have smelled through my plasma, and "Amened" to every descion". This season, well, it's not worth the time. Bad choice, after bad choice. Conspiracy theories aside, whoever is making the last call should be fired. It's one thing to challenge my judgement, but keep me coming back. It's another thing to give me earfuls of mango sticky rice, "week after week", then kill the very essence of competition______ The "COMPETITION". Who wants to watch annoying bad cooks, I'll go to "Lisa's Fine Dinning" for that. You've taken suspense and controversy past commonsense and the words of your own judges. Maybe it's bad editing. Guess I'll SETTLE for "Hell's Kitchen".
  • Would be better if we could dispense with the 'drama'.

I like Top Chef. However, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think the show would be a lot more interesting without all of these meaningless 'squabbles' backstage. I would perfer it if they focused more of their screentime actually cooking rather than fighting. Every show that's out has this need for unnessacary fighting over nothing, do they think it increases ratings? If I wanted to see two chefs bicker, I could easily go downtown. Atleast then I would have something nice to eat. Aside from the 'drama', I think Top Chef is a decent program. I perfer "Project Runway", but if there's nothing else on, I'll watch this.
  • top ched bullies and permissive production crew and judges

I may be watching an older season but I am appalled at how Marcel was bullied by the 3 other chef's near the end of series. I find it outrageous how he was physically assaulted by Cliff. If the hosts and producers can't see how this individual has been treated - they all need to go to a class on what's appropriate. And to boot- Marcel is the best chef left - particularly since he has been professional compared to other 3 remaining people. Marcel is only one that doesn't have an attitude. One contestant who hadn't seen him in 2 months and sees him in first class flight says he is already annoying him- that is a trouble maker and the others are bullies. Sometimes when 3 people with all of a similar type of faults get together it can be dangerous for the 4th person. I hope they treat Marcel properly.

As an aside - I was so disappointed he lost but understand and not convinced he wasn't sabotaged with his "missing" fish. I was so pleased and proud of Gail Simmons and P. Lakshi defended Marcel when this bully ex contestant insinuated his food was horrible without even eating it. I realise this was an old episode but just shocked by this mob mentality attack following what was nothing short of a choke hold type of lock they physically put Marcel throw. Frankly, I am surprised he didn't sue CBS,
  • So - let me get this straight... Ilan pretty much sticks to what he knows, is a JERK to a fellow team mate.. and is then handed the honor of Top Chef? What?!?!

4.9
    Ilan played it safe through the entire competition with his "Spanish Cuisine." I think cooking is an art - a lot like drawing or painting. I myself am an artist and I must remind myself that Picasso, Monet and other great artists created the foundations of the art community because they dared to break boundaries and step outside their safe zone. Marcel is already trying new things - just like a wise man would.

Marcel may not have won Top Chef - but he will be the Top Chef in life. With his creativity, winning attitude and fortitude - he will go far. Poor Ilan.. Even though he has the $100k.. he is stuck inside his safe zone,..scorning anyone else for being different or trying something new. It must be hard to feel that inferior. Ilan reminds me of the bully on the playground.. he has to build his "gang" of friends around him to pick on the one guy who is actually showing some talent.

You know, the entire season Ilan spoke so very poorly of Marcel, and spoke openly of his hatred for him. But I can only recall a couple of times where Marcel reciprocated - and that was only when provoked. Again, he is showing much wisdom beyond his years.. and beyond that of all his opponents - including bloated Betty.

"BRAVO" to you Marcel! You are the TOP CHEF in many people's eyes and we look forward to seeing what you will create in the future!! Best wishes!
  • Yet another cooking based reality show, with some interesting twists.

5.8
    I got roped in mid season. Was interested in the quick fire challenges more than the ellimination challenges. I liked seeing the new ways they came up with to test the skills of these obviously stressed cooks. Early on I picked out my easy to hate list and my easy to like list. Most based on who I felt cooked the way I like to, who I felt would be someone I\\\'d want to cook with, or to cook for me.

I loved the gas station challenge, when they were forced to create something from the typical everyday items anyone can get ahold of. And the street cart challenge looked like fun. I loved guessing who come out on top and who would be elimnated at the end of the show.

I must admit towards the end I too jumped on the Tiffani bashing bandwagon. I cheered and laughed my butt off watching the last episode as the old chefs voiced their opinions on who should be the winner.
  • Kind of a familiar area

We have all seen cooking shows and I think that this one more or less stands out on its own. It does have a lot of exciting moments but not enough to satisfy me.
  • Season 4 is slow, but I'm still hooked!

This is one of the few shows that gets a series recording on my DVR. I love the competition and the food these great chefs produce. While this latest season seems to be low on personality, I love the fact it is set in the midwest! Tom Colicchio offers a wonderfully refreshing look at cooking food that is simple and clear cut. Don't be lazy, don't overseason and don't put too much on your plate! I've learned a lot about the culinary world in terms of the guest chef judges they have on the show. Can't wait to see who wins this year!
  • A fairly interesting show with one major flaw

6.7
    With a diverse cast (with regards to personalities), Top chef did something that Project Runway failed to, it kept the viewers intrested in the contastants. On Project Runway everyone was artistic and a bit snobbish. However, on Top Chef , while the snobbish artist was represented, so were the humble fat man, the ambitous newcomer and many more. Also, the ability to relate to cooking helped the viewer feel more comfertable. The one major flaw was that the people behind the scences were too involved. They influcened to many eliminations to keep certaint characthers in for ratings. This stupidity on the part of those people actually caused many viewers to swear to not watch another episode...
  • Hope you do a better job of choosing contestants for next season!

Funny the first thing I am admonished with before writing my review is "remember to keep the language clean." You failed to give the same to your contestants! I watch MOST of the programs on FoodTV and one never hears such filth from their chefs! I watch MANY other cooking/baking shows on other networks also, and again, one doesn't hear 'bleeps' to cover everyother word flowing from their chefs lips! A very blatant display of lack of character, upbringing and respect for others besides revealing a lack of vocabulary or education, no matter how much 'schooling' they may sport!

I sincerely hope that you add a 'character' catagory to the contestants applications in the future! A percentage of their final score necessary to make the Top Chep competition should include just that. I did watch ALL of the episodes this past season, as well as the three previous. However, if the verbage does not change in the future, I regret that I will have viewed my last Top Chef!!!
  • Better then Hell's Kitchen, not as good as The Next Food Network Star.

This show follows the Survior format. Elimination Challange, followed by Elimination trial.

The tests so far have been interesting. The personalities of the Chefs are really starting to show.

Steven and Tiffany must go, they are both way to arrogant for their own good! Steven is such a snob. While it appears that he is a competant chef, I don't ever see him running a kitchen with his pertetual condesending manner and lack of people skills. Tiffany has the skills also, but wow, what she does not understand about customer service could fill volumes. She also appears to lack fundamental people skills.

The jury is out on the rest of the group. No one seems to really stand out, although Miguel is a real charater.
  • I'm not a big reality show fan but I had enjoyed Project Runway (it got me started sewing again) and decided to give this one a shot

7.8
    I enjoyed seeing the dishes the chefs prepared and as Project Runway had me back at my sewing machine, this show actually made me want to visit my kitchen! This year's winner had me very disappointed; I had hoped there was SOME reality to the program. But Ilia was such a whiner and complainer (about Marcel)I was agasht when they announced him as top chef. All of his dishes had his Spanish cooking flavor to them and none of it looked very high class (although I do give him credit for the Bay leaf accent).

Marcel's food was all very different and looked like the food I ate when I dined at the Jules Verne. It seemed pretty clear that his two assistants weren't behind him very much; although Sam did help him out on the one course. If he served just a salad it certainly was nicer to look at than the stuff out of a can on toast Ilan prepared.

I will watch again next season but I hope they will give everyone a lecture on professonalism and when something such as the hair cutting incident occurs EVERYONE involved will be disqualified from being Top Chef. How to fill in the remaining episodes...bring back however many it takes (even if you need people from the previous season) who were told to take their knives and go for other reasons. Z
  • Top Chef is a great concept in reality cooking shows. It is also a "personality" show about chefs trying to prepare food in a different unique way every week. It makes for lively TV.

7.9
    Watched all episodes over and over again. Most of the shows are fun and very entertaining. You quickly learn to cheer for your favorite chefs and agree with the judges when someone is eliminated every week. There are surprise twists and turns. The most favorite chef, Sam, was eliminated in the Hawaiian Semi-Finals, while the least liked chef,(based on a TV poll), Marcel, was selected by the judges as one of the two remaining chefs in the Finals. This has created major interest in tuning in for the last episode.
  • A quality talent reality show that actually stays away from backroom drama and antics so that we can follow the challenges rather than the catfights and tears.

"Top Chef" is a fine reality show, along the lines of Project Runway, in that it brings together people who have actual solid talent in a field that mixes creativity with skill (unlike, say, America's Next Top Model, which may be fun to watch, but no one is actually watching because of the high skill level and strategic thinking of the competitors). Viewers can appreciate the difficulty of the challenges, enjoy watching the cooking, and mull over the judging -- even if they are not top chefs themselves, as cooking is a visually satisfying thing, and we all want to eat good food. The cast is usually satisfying in their mix of personalities, and gladly, there is little room for tantrums and backroom hysterics: the focus is, solidly, on the cooking and the competition. The show isn't groundbreaking, but it does come out as a mature, very watchable series in the reality-show universe.
  • This reality show covers 12 chefs competing for a feature in Food & Wine magazine and $100,000. Each episode begins with a Quick-Fire challenge, the winner of which recieves immunity from elimination for that show. Each episode culminates in an eliminat

First, I HATE reality TV. And I really like this how. It probably has to do with my restaurant background, but I find the food competition pretty interesting, particularly the variety of challenges thrown at these aspiring Top Chefs. Their personality clashes prove pretty interesting as well. Some of them are such snobs and others seem pretty clueless in a kitchen (i.e., I wouldn't want to work with them on a busy kitchen line). All in all, pretty entertaining.
  • this show...

This season I have to agree is going a bit slow. However, I too am hooked. I like some of the characters they have this year. For instence: Dale... God help me he is so annoying and I can't wait until he is kicked off. Which probably won't happen. Richard... I liked how he is giving up credit to other when the deserve it. That is ver nice of him but I am sure he is doing that to show how nice he is and he is probably hoping that will get him somewhere. Antionia... Noticed she won the last two challenges the quick fire and the elimation. That rocks. Lisa... is an odd sort not too sure about her yet. The cake she made for the wedding wars was ugly as the judges said but she did what the groom wanted so. Spike... I don't know what to say about him yet. He wants credit but doesn't help that much. And, the austrailian guy... that sucked he deserved to stay and he was screwed... I have to agree with him a judge just doesn't like him. So that is so far my feelings they may change as the show continues but that is it so far.
  • If you can't stand the heat... go to Hell's Kitchen.... naw.. don't go there... watch Top Chef

I loved the first season! I was hooked... hope for Lee Ann and now i'm happy to see her working with the show.

At the end of Season Two I had a serious issue with one of the judge's decisions. They were in Hawaii, my home state, the challenge was to make two dishes for a Birthday Luau. Sam (my favorite chef on Season two) make a dessert like Haupia (coconut gelatin) and Poke. They booted Sam off because he didn't COOK anything... well, first of all a lot of Hawaiian food isn't cooked... and secondly, there were a NUMBER of challenges when they didn't have to cook (ice cream challenge, vending machine challenge,) so why is this NOW a rule?

While I understand that they make decisions using help from the producers to make it the show they want. I don't agree with that decision... it was arbitrary and unfair.

I'm still watching though... here's to Season III!
  • I think this is a very interesting show. It really challenges the chefs expertise on so many levels. Not everyone is mature, some have ego problems although all are capable of creating a palatable dish.

In the Holiday Spirit episode, I was disappointed that Ilia and Cliff didnt realize that they needed more variety and more food. Cliff and Ilia dismissed Mia's suggestions, and never really asked for input from the team. Their group was not a team. I wished Mia would have put up more of a fight to be heard, but look at Cliffs' response to her meek suggestions. Ilia and Cliff left no room for anyone elses imput/suggestions. I was very sorry to see Mia go. I think that Sam and Cliff are the closest to what a top chef should be.
  • They Did It Again!

Kudos to Bravo for developing yet another reality show that I have become absolutely hooked on. Who would have thought? I can't cook. I have no interest in becoming a chef. Why would I come to love some cooking show? Ah! But this was not just another cooking show. With a great selection of competitors, we had just enough rivalry and opposing personalities to keep this show interesting. The show was set up brilliantly with no dwelling spent on any one area. The show featured two challenges per episode including the one for the immunity. The judges no-holds barred assessment of the top and bottom chefs made for interesting watching as well. I didn't miss an episode of this series and perhaps learned a little about cooking along the way. I hope they bring it back for another season.
  • Reality TV at it's BEST!

To me this is one of the best reality TV series out there. Not only do I learn more about food as each week passes but the competitions are very difficult and push the chefs differently. Also it provides information on the restaurants they compete in which is good for some one like me who travels a lot. I fully plan on visiting Harold's (SEASON 1 winner) restaurant next time I am in New York. I like shows where the contestants don't just sit around and talk like big brother but are pushed every single episode. The next one should be in NEW YORK then they should go abroad!!!!
  • Lets get cooking'!

This show is so cool and so original. Other than Hells kitchen this is the only show that has to do with cooking and i just love it! it is so cool because it isn't fake and it just isn't like all these other fake reality shows. This show is just ultimately great because it has so much great people on it and there is always some sort of cool action going on! This show isn't just good for all these other things though, it really helps you learn all these new things about cooking and it makes you want to be a shef yourself! I love this show so much and I don't this there is anything that could make me stop watching it! Great show I definitely rate this a B+, keep the dishes coming!
  • Chefs from all over compete for the title Top Chef

I love any show that involves food because I love to eat. So anything thats has to so with food count me in. I love how these different chefs go from being some average line cook to this big time fancy dish maker. I love it. The judges are great and normally with reality shows there is always a judge that i dont like but I like all the jugdes on this show. I think they have one of the toughest jobs. I would hate to try some of thoses dishes that the contestants make just because they look funny. One of my personal favorites
  • Show for all those who like good food!

Well, I can't be totally objective here because I'm in love with good wining and dining. Thus, my obsession with it found its ground. LOL
    I really like it and I've learned a lot, by only seeing a season or two. Will catch up on all the rest for sure.
    This is a competitive show, it has its dynamic, good food, excellent chefs, interesting tasks, and lets you in on a few tips from chefs who work in great restaurants, have their own ways but still manage to emphasize on the nationality of each dish.
    Will continue to watch and will recommend it to all those who like being in their kitchens, chopping, cooking, frying etc.
    Good one!!!
  • I like top chef alot because unlike other shows it doesn't seem to be fixed. And it makes for great tv!

Top chef is kinda like project runway except for instead of fashion its food. I like that every one is on a level playing field there are no favorites or people who have a higher advantage. I think that the challenges are really inovative and require the chef's to think. It's really a great show.
< 1 2