Top Chef

Sense and Sensuality

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jan 17, 2007 on Bravo

• You should never drink and shave.

Okay, this was a pretty good show, drunken childishness aside. There were some good dishes in the Quick Fire. I liked Marcel's, Sam's, and Cliff's. And Elia's dessert. I don't know what Ilan was thinking. Chicken liver with chocolate. I've said it before, I'll say it again. NO! Just NO! When it comes to the elimination challenge, I thought that I personally would like Marcel's dish the most. I love Salmon, and beets. I think that the only dish that I wouldn't have liked is Cliff's. I don't know, maybe I'd have to see it again to really know. On the great hair debacle, Cliff was obviously drunk, or he wouldn't have done such a thing, but Sam looked sober, and when Marcel was calling for help, he should have helped, not sat there laughing. I want to know what Elia was doing that she couldn't help her friend. In the end, I'm happy with the final four. Can't wait for Hawaii.
  • Ok good cooking this week but what up with all the drame and shaving heads,..come on

Ok this week was nice they actually did some good cooking for change with the exception of Ilan in the quickfire which he is lucky they don't send you home then. And there was Cliff failure at the final challenge. Ok as for the drama this week, ok Sam was at least a man when it came to helping Marcel and didn't act like a baby or kid because Marcel was busy earlier and couldn't help. But Sam didn't set up as a leader like a good top chef when they where attempting to shave Marcel, he just sat and laughed. Ellia dropped the ball with her desert but hey at least she tried and so she wanted her head bald more power to her. Ilan other than the googe eyes he was giving ellia cause they share a room was a jerk I am sorry but true. While his dish in the end challenge was good he acted like a kid with the Marcel hair thing and then blame it on drinking was a cop out. As for Cliff and them kicking him off....all I say is about time!
    Over all it was nice to see some cooking and that is why I watch the show and loved the first season.
  • Was this a cooking competition or a mash pit!

I give up. Just when I thought this season could not get any more childish, I was proven wrong! The food looked good and I think the chef's really did put in the effort, although I am getting a little tired of Elia's histrionics every time something is not quite the way she expects it.

I was mystified that Marcel thought that people would help him plate after he refused help to everyone else. In this kitchen tit-for-tat is the rule not the exception.

Now for the rest of the show! Frankly I am not interested in seeing the chef's get drunk make a pact and shave each others heads. I believe that Cliff did deserve to be booted. Weather or not you like Marcel, no one has the right to assault someone like that. I am surprised that the did not bring battery charges against Cliff. I know it was a stupid prank, but I am also wondering if the film crew was not a little bit culpable. They were there and they also did nothing.
  • Demon Rum(ble)

Watching this show, I remembered why I don't drink alcohol - I don't expect that top chef's to abstain, of course, and I understand that they have been living in a stressful environment, but there is something very off-putting in watching talented people who are given a rare opportunity just blow it - I don't think anybody came off looking particularly sympathetic except for the poor victim of these pranks. All that can be said in Cliff's favor is that he accepted the consequence, he made an immediate and sincere apology and completely understood how he had hurt himself. For the others to sit by and do nothing while Marcel was being assaulted was shocking. It's very hard to watch this episode and not feel some contempt for these aspiring chefs. Can I expect that if they're stressed out in the kitchen of their own restaurants, they'll go on a bender and put something funny in the stock pot? As far as the particular challenge, a nice dinner with wine seems to be the least challenging task - it's what they're supposed to be able to do to get on the show.
  • A prank gone wrong

This weeks quick fire challange deals with one of my favorite comfort foods... Chocholate. AS much as I love chocolate i would not have attempted any of there dishes. Sam won the challange which was surprising because he is a diabetic. The elimination challange was to create a five course romantic meal. What I love about the remaining cheifs is the way they try to help outone another. Except for Marcel. He decided that he didn't want to help out so when it came down to him needing help, karma came back around. Cliff was sent home for a really bad prank gone wrong. But fair is fair.