Top Chef

Sense and Sensuality

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jan 17, 2007 on Bravo

• Demon Rum(ble)

Watching this show, I remembered why I don't drink alcohol - I don't expect that top chef's to abstain, of course, and I understand that they have been living in a stressful environment, but there is something very off-putting in watching talented people who are given a rare opportunity just blow it - I don't think anybody came off looking particularly sympathetic except for the poor victim of these pranks. All that can be said in Cliff's favor is that he accepted the consequence, he made an immediate and sincere apology and completely understood how he had hurt himself. For the others to sit by and do nothing while Marcel was being assaulted was shocking. It's very hard to watch this episode and not feel some contempt for these aspiring chefs. Can I expect that if they're stressed out in the kitchen of their own restaurants, they'll go on a bender and put something funny in the stock pot? As far as the particular challenge, a nice dinner with wine seems to be the least challenging task - it's what they're supposed to be able to do to get on the show.