Top Chef

Seven

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jan 03, 2007 on Bravo

• Seven deadky sins

This weeks quick fire challange is to prepare a dish based on a color. Michael had the color orange and he won. Unfortunitly there are no more imunities. I think this weeks elimination challnge was a little difficult. They had to prepare a seven course dish based on the seven deadly sins. Michael won the the elimination challange and i was happy. He had not won a challange until this point and we can actually see him getting better. I was proud. After deliberation they decided to sent Betty home. I do think that Marcel was one of the better cooks compared to the other two in the bottom three.
  • Cute, telling episode! Shows a lot about each of the chefs.

This was cute and fun and showed a lot about each of the chefs. I was thrilled with the winner, it showed his true colors and ability. I think the challenges are about thinking on your feet and dealing with problems which all top chefs have to do all the time. This episode makes the chefs use their creativity and allowed them to really shine if they had it in them. This showed a lot about the strengths and the weaknesses in each chef. I think that TOP CHEF is not about 4 star cooking as much as it is about seeing how the chefs can think and work under pressure, if they have solid basics, have the willingness to learn, try and step out on a limb. I think that show pushes each chef to work under extreme pressure, when everything goes wrong or they do not have everything etc yet still have to turn out a product. Anyone that has been in a working kitchen whether it be the corner restaurant, the family diner, the middle of the road place or the high end 3-4 star place, you occassionally have delivery problems, where items dont show up, employees do not show up or quit half way through a shift, ovens do not work right, etc etc.. I honestly believe that this show is really about seeing what the chefs are made of.. the stock of the soup so to speak, so see if they can be fleshed out and developed into something rich and full. I think that the people that do not like the show are looking for an educational cooking show. This is about interaction and drama,..and fun and interesting cooking thrown in.. I really loved this episode.. it was fun and playful
  • Not my favorite! Doing the Quickfire based on color and the Elimination based on the 7 sins was cute but silly.

I think its great that Mike finally won and won both ends. I thought Tom's comment that he should use vicoden when he cooks more often, while it was funny at the time wa skind of a put down. I really liked seeing Marcel get slapped down for his invitable foam. I am sorry to see betty leave, but her soups were awful and again she was also a repeater!

As we get closer to the end, I hope we really see some challanges that let the chefs explore their creativity. We already know that the next challange is a resturant challange similar to the one in season 1. I am wondering who will step up and do as great a front of the house job as Dave did!
BRAVO