QuickFire Dishes Shown:
• C.J. Pan Seared Sea Perch, Carrots, Radicchio, Oranges & Hazelnuts
• Casey Play on S'Mores with Vanilla/Tequila Cream, Blood Orange & Key Lime
• Sandee Trio of Citrus: Key Lime Mojito, Grapefruit Brûlée with Shrimp, Citrus Encrusted Sea Bass
• Micah spicy Avocado Citrus Soup with Red Grapefruit
• Lia Crab Salad with Sourdough Croutons & Grapefruit Vinaigrette
• Dale Citrus Salad with Watercress, Endive, Fennel, Lemon Poppyseed & Goat Cheese
• Sara N. Blood Orange & Tangelo Citrus Salad with Shrimp, Honey Tangerine Vinaigrette
• Hung Slow Roasted Sea Bass, Citrus Crumble, Watercress & Radish Salad
• Tre Raw King Salmon with Macadamia Nut Pesto, Coriander Seared Salmon & Fuji Apple Salad
• Howie Vanilla Butter Poached Lobster tail & Citrus Salad
• Brian Alaskan Halibut with Blood Orange & Pomegranate Molasses
• Joey Fennel Salad with Blood Oranges, Watermelon & Grand Marnier Shooter
Elimination Challenge Dishes Shown:
• Camille Grilled Swordfish with Chorizo & Artichoke Potato Salad
• Micah Lamb with Grilled Halloumi & Pomegranate Sauce
• Lia Lettuce Wrap with Grilled Shrimp & Couscous Salad
• Casey Strip Steak, Polenta, Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Tomato Salad
• C.J. N.Y. Steak with Salt Baked Pineapple, Lentil Purée & Dirty Rice
• Sara N. Vietnamese BBQ with Pine Nuts, Radish & Cucumber Salad
• Brian Scallops, Shrimp & Sea Bass Sausage with Ginger Slaw & Chili Glaze
• Tre Peach BBQ Glazed Salmon with Crab Avocado Salad
• Sandee Vanilla Poached Lobster, Pancetta Wrapped Date & Truffle Slaw
• Howie Jamaican Jerk Pork, Mango Slaw with Citrus Vinaigrette
• Joey Korean BBQ Chicken with Charred Corn, Tofu & Bean Sprout Salad
• Hung Flank Steak with Grilled Corn Salad & Bagel Chips
The top three for the QuickFire Challenge are C.J., Hung and Tre, Hung wins and is awarded immunity. The bottom three are Sara N., Sandee and Micah.
Sandee is sent home, and Brian wins the Elimination Challenge.
Sara N.: (at the meat counter with a budget of $200) Could I get 20lbs of ribeye.
Hung: (overhearing her) Ooo, 20lbs? 20 times $10 is $200.
Sandee: (before the second set of challenges) This is totally 'Chef Camp'. I'm here to learn, and in two nights I've learned more than I've learned in a year.
Casey: (as they leave the penthouse) Alright guys, let's go cue some barbecue!
Tom: (after his walk-through to check the contestants) Sandee's taking dates and wrapping it in pancetta; she's also poaching some lobster with vanilla butter, which really doesn't utilize the barbecue. I don't understand the place that it has right now. It's like putting lipstick on a pig.
Gail: (critiquing Tre's food) Well Tom, didn't you even mention at one point that when you had spoken with Tre
Tom: Oh, he said he could do it in his sleep.
Gail: Well, maybe not.
Tre: Maybe a bad nightmare.
Australia May 28, 2008 on Arena
When introducing Chef Norman Van Aken she says that he has restaurants in Orlando, Miami, and Key West. But Van Aken has since shut down his Coral Gables (Miami) location. He continues to focus on his location in Orlando, and has become involved in several new restaurants in Key West hotels which are scheduled to open later in 2007.
Padma mentions in her blog that Howie made a vanilla butter poached lobster tail with blood orange citrus salad for his QuickFire dish, which is quite similar in some regards to the dish that got Sandee sent home in the Elimination Challenge!
Guest Judge Norman Van Aken is owner of the award-winning restaurant Norman's in the Coral Gables section of Miami. Conde Nast called it one of "The Top Ten Restaurants in the United States." He has been dubbed the "Father of New World Cuisine" and for his lifelong contributions to the culture of his region was selected by The St. Petersburg Times as "one of the 25 people who mattered the most in Florida's history." He is also one of the only chefs in America to have won "The James Beard Award," "The Robert Mondavi Award," and "The Food Arts Silver Spoon." He is the author of three cookbooks including the Julia Child/IACP nominated Norman's New World Cuisine. He has appeared on Good Morning America, CBS This Morning and Emeril Live among others. His culinary philosophy is "to create a marriage of the sensual and rustic with the classic and intellectual in a celebration of the various places we live."