QuickFire Challenge: the competitors were asked to hold down the line in Chef Hubert Keller's restaurant Fleur de Lys.
• Lisa Asked to leave because her food fell over (23 min).
• Miguel His nerves got the better of him (3 min).
• Cynthia Not allowed on the line at all because she was wearing unsafe shoes (0 min).
• Andrea Dismissed for dropping food (16 min).
• Candice Too slow (10 min).
• Brian Too slow (19 min).
• Stephen Too nervous (26 min).
• Harold Too nervous (7 min).
• Ken Kicked off the line for unsanitary tasting (1 min).
• Dave, Tiffani, and Lee Anne completed the full 30 minutes.
Lee Anne was given the coveted immunity because of her superior communication skills.
Cynthia's pomegranate goes missing; this is the first incidence of possible sabotage on Top Chef.
Elimination Challenge Dishes:
• Andrea Rock Shrimp with Spicy Plum Sauce
• Kenneth Pan Seared Alaskan Halibut
• Cynthia "Krazy Rice" with Lamb
• Lisa Mushroom & Shrimp Risotto
• Candice Chicken Shiitake Roulade
• Dave Braised Lamb Enchiladas
• Lee Anne Smoked Sturgeon Appetizer
• Brian Jerk Chicken and Country Coconut Mash Potatoes
• Harold Steamed Thai Snapper
• Miguel Duo of Beef
• Stephen Threesome of Colorado Lamb
• Tiffani Pumpkin Lasagna
Ken Lee is kicked off the show.
Cynthia: (speaking to Stephen) How are you doing, Brian?
Stephen: (incredulously) Stephen?
Andrea: (of her Elimination Challenge dish) It looked like a bomb exploded on my plate.
Ken: (of the other chefs judging his food) I don't care whether the other chefs express their opinions about my food. If the food is good, say it's good. If the food is crap, flip the plate.
Lee Anne: Stephen is a sommelier so he's a professional bullsh**er.
Andrea: I'm bringing something to the competition that other people aren't bringing, you know, it's the ability to move your bowels with vegetables.
Cynthia: What the *#&@ did I come over here for?
Ken: (to Colicchio) I speak my mind, that's the way I am.
Ken: C'mon guys! Allez! Allez!
The house in which the contestants were domiciled was located at 3159 Baker Street in San Francisco. When it went on the market in mid-2009 the rent was $12,500 per month.
Season One Prizes:
A feature in Food & Wine magazine.
The chance to showcase culinary talent at the annual Food & Wine Classic.
A state of the art Kenmore Elite Kitchen.
$100,000 to kick-start the winner's culinary career.
Lee Anne: (about Ken) It's time to vote the a****** off the island.
This is a definite reference to the perennial reality series Survivor, which eliminates their contestants by voting them off the "island" location.