We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Top Design Forums

Bravo (ended 2008)

host

sparkie_ac

[1]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 18
    So ok I figured now that top chef is over I thought I give top design a look even though I am nto much into it really. Ok it looks interesting and the people look interesting and a bit like Project Runway....But what I don't get is the Host? Ok they have advertised him over and over again and the contestants where like WOW OMG Todd blah blah... SO who is this guy??? Really I have no clue and was wondering???? And if he is so well know then why is he not judging? Please info would be good.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sburright

[2]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 2
    all i know about him is that he designs a bunch of stuff for target.
    they have been known for having famous designers make a lower-priced line for their stores.

Gilmoreism

[3]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 37
    sparkie_ac wrote:
    So ok I figured now that top chef is over I thought I give top design a look even though I am nto much into it really. Ok it looks interesting and the people look interesting and a bit like Project Runway....But what I don't get is the Host? Ok they have advertised him over and over again and the contestants where like WOW OMG Todd blah blah... SO who is this guy??? Really I have no clue and was wondering???? And if he is so well know then why is he not judging? Please info would be good.

Well he's a famous designer, he's done all sorts of stuff, if you aren't into design then you won't know who he is. He's not judging for the same reason Tim Gunn doesn't judge. He is there during their creative process and gives them critiques at that point, he doesn't ned to be giving critiques and then judging as well.

sparkie_ac

[4]Feb 1, 2007
    Ok so what kind of stuff has he designed, I am not into big big desgn but I know some stuff.

Gilmoreism

[5]Feb 1, 2007
    you can check out his website Here. He's designed all sorts of stuff, clothing lines, furniture lines, he's a little kooky.

sparkie_ac

[6]Feb 2, 2007
    thanks

boromirbeauty

[7]Feb 2, 2007
    • level: 61
    Sparkie, I know who he is and I still didn't like him as host. He reminded me a little of Katie Lee. If the show lasts another season I hope they replace him. Just my opinion.

Asterisk09

[8]Feb 2, 2007
    • level: 11
    I can't stand his voice.

sparkie_ac

[9]Feb 2, 2007
    Yah I know the voice really is..I don't have words, it just seems almost fake, not to be mean to him but I guess everyone can't be Timm Gunn LOL

Gilmoreism

[10]Feb 3, 2007
    I've heard him in interviews before that's his voice. I like him as a host, I think he'll have to be in the episode a little bit more before we see his personality this episode he really wasn't in it very much.

sparkie_ac

[11]Feb 3, 2007
    Once the show gets under way maybe we see more of "himself." It looks like it will be intersting show.

boromirbeauty

[12]Feb 4, 2007
    sparkie_ac wrote:
    Once the show gets under way maybe we see more of "himself." It looks like it will be intersting show.

The show is going to be very good. I just wish that it was a little longer so we could see more of the designs as they are being put together. I felt the same way about Design Star on HGTV.

ferrouswheel

[13]Feb 4, 2007
    • level: 3
    sparkie_ac wrote:
    Yah I know the voice really is..I don't have words, it just seems almost fake, not to be mean to him but I guess everyone can't be Timm Gunn LOL

I told my friend when we were watching the show that "It feels like he should instead be reading a children's story and telling me to turn the page when I hear a chime"

He sounds like he is roller-coaster reading from some cue cards, even when he is not. It's driving me up a wall (a well designed wall, though it may be)

cheldi

[14]Feb 5, 2007
    • level: 7
    Yea.. his voice bugs the hell out of me..  but besides that, the show is pretty good.   I'll watch a couple more and see how things go..   its a little too much like Project Runway..  but whatever..   

~C

sparkie_ac

[15]Feb 6, 2007
    Yes I agree the voice is a killer but he is kind of cute, now if he would not talk we might have a hit LOL !!

boromirbeauty

[16]Feb 6, 2007
    sparkie_ac wrote:
    Yes I agree the voice is a killer but he is kind of cute, now if he would not talk we might have a hit LOL !!

xaviernixon

[17]Feb 6, 2007
    • level: 1

Although I have heard of Todd Oldman, (or is it Oldham?) he didn't really suit the "host" role very well.  He sounded very robotic -- like everything he said was scripted and over-rehearsed.  It was like he was uncomfortable in front of  the cameras  Hopefully, he'll relax, and be more spontaneous as the show progresses.

Stingseven

[18]Feb 7, 2007
    • level: 8
    Okay gang, Todd Oldham was a fashion designer, who got popular for his clothes and his parties. Then, when Cindy Crawford was doing House of Style on MTV, she brought her buddy Todd for a couple of cutesy segments where his major ideas were throwing vintage blouses over lamps as funky shades and wearing scarfs as belts. Suddenly, as Cindy got to busy for the HOS thing, the show became more Todd's and that's when he blew up. Then, as someone mentioned, he had a collection for Target and stuff.

The thing is, he sounds horrible, and he looks even worse! He has that "I've had work done" look, and now he just looks like Glenn Close with a new haircut. Gawd, Todd.

boromirbeauty

[19]Feb 9, 2007

After watching the second episode I think that maybe it's his mouth that makes him sound weird. His teeth look a little crooked which could be the problem.

Hmmm, "his mouth that makes him sound weird", that's probably a little redundant.

sparkie_ac

[20]Feb 10, 2007
    Ok after the second show I was happy to see more of Todd's personality and the fun he is about with design and I think he will turn out to be a good host. I can get used to the voice if he continues to be fun and interesting. He was a lot looser to show than just reading a script as the first appeared.

Thanks Stingseven for the information about Todd!