Top Gear Australia Forums

The Nine Network (ended 2012)

Has the series improved?

twopratt

[1]Oct 29, 2008
    • level: 23
    I was very dissapointed when I saw the first couple of episodes but as it hs gone one, I am really starting to like it. The chemistry between all three is starting to work and I do think that the second series will be better. What do other people think?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

thedarkknight67

[2]Nov 2, 2008
    • level: 7

It does seem to have improved a little but I still can't get through a full episode in one sitting. Although it probably only takes two goes now rather than three or four.

I can't really agree about the chemistry improving and I think they are still trying too hard to copy the UK origionals but they seem to have lost the obvious nerves from the first couple of episodes.

What it really needs is some Aussie presenters being themselves and our own version of the Stig, maybe even get some retired racing driver I'd love to see mark skafe make a appearence.

AUSCris

[3]Nov 22, 2008
    • level: 7
    I actually have to agree with you twopratt. I watched the first episode with great expectations and fell very short. I think I was trying to hard to compare the newbie's to the old hands. But as we got further into the season, the guys loosened up, the chemistry clicked and I started liking these guys! I however am still cringing when ever they say 'Nissan' and want to hit them over the head like and old granny and teach them how to say it the Aussie way...but I guess I will learn to live with it!

So I like it - however, they will NEVER be as good as Hamster, Jezza and Captain Slow!!

So any word on whether the second season is going a head or, even better, a start date???

KazzGirl

[4]Nov 23, 2008
    • level: 12

I think the show is going great! I know I have been one of the only people on this site who has loved the show from the start, but I still think it is good to have an Aussie version and not just watch something that is being dished up to us from overseas.

I have always liked Warren as a cartoonist and I think he is the perfect straight guy for Charlie Cox. Charlie has always been one of my favourite racing commentators and his silly sayings "crack me up". Steve is really the only one who I knew nothing about. I think he was put there to appeal to a younger audience, but none the less has the credentials to be on a car show like this.

I too am upset at the Stig thing. Our testing guy should be called "Bruce" or "Bluey" or "Red" something totally Aussie. When they say "And they call him The Stig" I cringe. It ticks me off to the max. Maybe we should petition SBS for a new name for Series 2. It cant be any worse than what it is at present.

I will definetly keep watching.