Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

American and Australian Versions of Top Gear. Will they be any good?

twopratt

[1]Feb 1, 2008
    • level: 23

Just a Quick one regaurding the American and Australian versions of "Top Gear" that will be appearing thia year. I dont really hold much hope for the American version as I am worried that they will be restricted to what they say due to heavy lobbying from Americas car industry. We all know they can build a fast car but as far as build qaulity and handling go? Will there patriotism cload there judgement. And its showing on "NBC". Can anyone say censorship.

Australias version will have two things going against it. Finding suitable hosts and being able to locally review many of the new cars from around the world due to Australias isolated location. But seeing as though it is showing on "SBS", cencorship shouldnt be much of an issue.

I hope im wrong on all accounts but sadly, I dont think I am.

Please comment and tell me what you think.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

twopratt

[2]Feb 1, 2008

this excert is from "Finalgear.com"

SANTA MONICA, Calif. - We've known for quite some time that the hit BBC show Top Gear is coming to America. Producers of the show originally wanted to use the British hosts for the U.S. version, but decided the trans-Atlantic shooting schedule would be too demanding.

In mid-January, NBC announced the U.S. version of Top Gear would air on its network rather than a cable outlet like Speed or ESPN. At the same time, BBC producers were feverishly screening American automotive writers as potential hosts, hoping to give the new show "journalistic credibility."

NBC has since decided to tweak its original plan. Several on-camera automotive journalist candidates received phone calls this week from the BBC stating the network now wanted to take the new Top Gear in more of a "celebrity direction."

An existing NBC relationship with known automotive enthusiast Jay Leno, and the fact that his current Tonight Show contract expires in 2009 could make Leno a front-runner. Actor and Porsche collector Jerry Seinfeld also has a lasting NBC relationship as evidenced by his guest stint on NBC's 30 Rock and heavy rotation of Bee Movie promos that also aired on the network. We wouldn't "bee" surprised to see him in the running as well.

What this means to you: Expect American Top Gear to air without the old-school car magazine editor in a threadbare tweed jacket. - Carol Moody, Correspondent

I really hope that this is a rumour and not going to actually happen!

sfaberge

[3]Feb 2, 2008
    • level: 21
    Well it's needless to say I won't be watching either. The Australian one is more difficult because Australia is so isolated I'm not sure what cars they will get. The US version sounds like a bit of a disaster. I never liked Jay Leno and just being a car enthusiast probably isn't enough credentials to be able to judge a car properly. What's happening is that they are getting people to host the show that are fans of American cars and so it's unlikely they will road test too many Euro cars. Still, it's what the American audience wants so I guess good luck to them.

Richiebcfc25

[4]Feb 2, 2008
    • level: 47
    i think the american version of top gear will have very little reviewing of cars due to risk of upseting sponsors instead i think the show will just be a ripoff of jackass with cars with celebrity interviews thrown in with the stigs american cousin racing the fast cars.

twopratt

[5]Feb 2, 2008

Richiebcfc25 wrote:
    i think the american version of top gear will have very little reviewing of cars due to risk of upseting sponsors instead i think the show will just be a ripoff of jackass with cars with celebrity interviews thrown in with the stigs american cousin racing the fast cars.

Beacause its the Stigs American cousin driving cars around the track, I suspect the lap times will be slower due to his weight and many accidents due to the fact he can't drive. RE: American road trip. LOL

gcswift2

[6]Feb 4, 2008
    • level: 9

I actually think that Jay and Jerry would be great for the show. They both have an irreverant style and are fanatical car collectors. Jay Leno has one of the most ecclectic car collections ever. He has cars which are universally beloved and cars that only he finds desirable. Jerry as a Porshe collector seems like a logical counter-balance to the obvious Americantrend towards 18th century engineering andfor cars that don't turn. Jay has been making celebs look good for more than 20 years, so the interviews will be fun.

When I first heard about the American version of Top Gear I originally said NOOOooo, They're gonna destroy the brand!!! If the rumors are true they might make a go of it. It could fun. I hope they give it enough time to catch on, because originally it is a niche show and as such it will need time to build a crossover audience.

BTW, Speed is owned by FOX and ESPN is owned by Disney (ABC). NBC is owned by G.E. so they wouldn't put them on either of those channels. BUT NBC does own SCIFI,CNBC, MSNBC cable TV, MSNBC.com, iVillage, ION Media Networks, qubo, Telemundo Television Studios, USA Network, A&E, the History Channel, History Channel International, the Biography Channel, National Geographic International, the Sundance Channel, and TiVo. So they would have a choice of most of these channels.

Iskreth

[7]Feb 4, 2008
    • level: 15

Honestly, I watch Top Gear for the presenters, and I have no interest at all in any version of TG that doesn't have them.

That said, there is one thing I would like to see from the American version, and that would be a representation of some of the more interesting roads that can be found in the States. Yes, there are a lot of straight, flat roads in the US, but there are also some amazing stretches with fantastic bends, sheer drops, and astounding views (some of the mountain passes in Colorado, for example). It would be nice to see a version of TG that acknowledges that though we may not have the faintest clue how to make a car that handles decently, we do have plenty of places to drive cars that DO handle well...we just import the cars from Europe and Japan.

Edited on 02/04/2008 7:58pm

Booo101

[8]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 7

I'm sure they will suck! The British version is the best!

twopratt

[9]Feb 16, 2008
    Booo101 wrote:

I'm sure they will suck! The British version is the best!

Could not agree more!