Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

"New" Episodes of Top Gear on BBC America?

zzilly14

[1]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 9

So the "new" season (or series, as you Brits like to call it) of Top Gear just started over here on BBC America last week. I watched last night's episode and it seemed vaguely familiar - Hammond using GPS or whatever trying to get around Oxford, but not having any luck because Oxford is a car-unfriendly city. I looked it up and sure enough, it was an episode I had watched with my host family (who I thank for getting me into the show, BTW) when I spent a semester in London... in 2005.

I have no idea if last week's episode was "new" or not, but next week's episode does (they have the Batmobile... although I suppose they could be showing it off for the first Batman movie from a couple of years ago?) I am super confused as to why BBC America is calling these "new" episodes while, they may be new to viewers here in the States, are actually older than "new" episodes from Seasons 9 and 10. If anyone has any ideas as to what's going on, and when Season 11 will really start airing over here, please satisfy my curiosity. Thanks!

Edited on 07/22/2008 6:39pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PoliceCop1

[2]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 2

The episode you first refer to is Series 6 Episode 2, which first aired in the UK on 29th May 2005. I don't know if you're aware but the times that television programmes/episodes are aired in each country are delayed due to the buying/transferring times by television companies of those programmes/episodes. Because Top Gear is a British TV programme made by a British TV company, it will obviously air in Britiain before anywhere else, it's the same with American TV shows, for example; an episode on Friends could be shown on 1st July in the USA, but not shown in the UK (or anywhere else) until 7th July, due to the reasons i explained above.

The reason they label the episodes "New" is because in effect, they are new, to the country they're being aired in at the time.

And you're right when you say they could be showing off the Batmobile for the 2005 Batman Begins movie, they were, but of course they can't change or edit the episode to make it up-to-date when it airs elsewhere, they've paid for the whole episode, and if there's no legal or watershed-guided reasons that make them edit an episode, then they will keep it's orginal material.

As for when series 11 will start being shown in the USA, well, i'm not sure, like i said, one of the episodes that was shown just last night was the 2nd episode of series 6, so maybe they'll skip a few seasons, maybe not, it depends on what episodes the TV company has pruchased, just keep watching the ads, reading your TV book and keeping an eye on the show and you'll see what's to come in the future. Also, it wouldn't hurt to check out YouTube, people have uploaded hundreds of episodes, including all the new ones from series 11.

I hope that helped.

MattAllenLFC

[3]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 62

If you live outside of the U.K. and want to see the latest episodes of Top Gear, pay a visit to Final Gear. You will need to register.

dd790

[4]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 5

Yea the "new" series (season) of South Park being shown over here is about 2 years old.

Strange when its so cheap and quick to get a flight accross the Atlantic TV shows seem to take ages crossing