Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

Season 19 airing now

MajLorne

[1]Feb 15, 2013
    • level: 21

I'm a couple of weeks late, but if anyone is reading this, and in the USA, I'm happy to say we now no longer need to wait a few months to watch the new episodes. This is the only top gear to me. The us version, eh, I just can't enjoy it as much as I do with Jeremy and the gang.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Yaspaa

[2]Feb 26, 2013
    • level: 78
    I'm a bit disappointed that the last 2 episodes are part of a 2-part special. I always prefer the standard episodes, there's more variety. A long wait for 5 episodes.

MattAllenLFC

[3]Feb 27, 2013
    • level: 62
    The two-part special does seem a little odd. It does seem like an excuse to use two episodes. Maybe they didn't want to make another 90 minute special after the (deserved) criticism of the India Special. Stretching it over two episodes seems like a compromise. None of that will matter, of course, if it turns out to be good. I'm confident it will be a corker.

Yaspaa

[4]Feb 27, 2013
    They've had plenty of time to make it so. I just hope they didn't waste the year trying to nab Bruce Willis lol.

MajLorne

[5]Feb 27, 2013
    For all the talk about the west coast us trip talk about Bruce Willis in an attack helicopter chasing them, it seems like a waste to just have him honk a horn of the Kia. I would've thought they'd get him to be the star in the rp car and promote his die hard 5 movie the way Tom cruise and Cameron Diaz did for knight and day.

The India special was a good first half, but the 2nd half fell apart and got boring. I also take it when you say 90min, it is commercial free? In the us the India special was 2hours with commercials. The east coast us and Vietnam specials airs as 90min shows.

MattAllenLFC

[6]Mar 2, 2013
    No commercials at all on the BBC. All the other networks in the UK: Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV and the digital channels [Sky, etc...] carry adverts.

The 'problem' with the India Special was that they moved away from the format of the other specials; instead of making it about a journey, it was just daft challenges. They are fine in the normal show, but it just didn't work for a whole show. The garden party was a total waste of time. The Africa Special, in which they try to discover the source of the Nile, looks like a return to the past specials by having a single aim.

Yaspaa

[8]Mar 3, 2013
    Don't like getting bored watching Top Gear. I feel like I've seen this all before, and not in a good way. Good first five episodes though, they flew by. When Top Gear is shown on channels with commercials, why don't they edit out the star interview? I'm sick of seeing the interviews on repeat viewing and having stuff I want to see again edited out, it always tickles me hearing Hugh Grant talking about his bollock pain whilst in a Golf but it's a car show not a chat show. With no Olympics this year, we should get some proper episodes sooner this time, fingers crossed.

MattAllenLFC

[9]Mar 4, 2013
    They edit the crap out of it on Dave. Yet leave the interview in! Doesn't make sense at all. In fact, Dave edit them so badly that they are impossible to watch.

Yaspaa

[10]Mar 8, 2013
    Can't disagree.

Thanatos360

[11]Mar 11, 2013
    • level: 4
    Why are the seasons so short by the way? 7 episodes isn't enough. They should at least go with 13. It seems like some of the earlier seasons had more episodes.

MattAllenLFC

[12]Mar 12, 2013
    Budget is probably a factor. Although I did read a blog by Andy Wilman in which he said they often go over budget and have to go to the BBC for more money. And they got it each time! Another reason could be logistics - recording a series isn't a quick operation. Cynically, from my point of view, I think they spend too much time on the live show, which, in my opinion, impacts on the series.

MajLorne

[13]Mar 15, 2013

I thought it was more with the main trio being older and not being able to do a full 10 eps? I do wished they had longer seasons, but if it means they put the best stuff on, then I can live with it. Fingers crossed for a season 20. How many more years can they keep this show going? I mean other than Hammond, how long can Jeremy and James keep this up?

i will agree that I'd prefer to cut the interview segments to save time. This is why when they air this on bbc America, I only watch the first run episode and skip the repeats which is shortened. Basically with the commercials, an episode is 80 min. Otherwise an episode is cropped to fit the typical 60 min time frame and that means the total episode is more like 43 min.

Edited on 03/15/2013 8:41pm

MattAllenLFC

[14]Mar 16, 2013

I take your point about them all getting on in years... they did say a few years back that it tired them out. Despite that, I don't think that's actually a problem, what with Jeremy jetting off all over the world almost constantly. He and James are currently ... well, they were in Melbourne, briefly in New Zealand and I think Jeremy's now off to Norway.

With regard to a 20th series... there will definitely be one. Richard wrote on Twitter that they would be back and Jeremy was a little more specific on the 10th March when he wrote 'Thanks for watching. We'll be back in the Summer'.

The three of them signed three-year contracts with the BBC last October/November, so there will certainly be a 21st series as well.

MajLorne

[15]Mar 16, 2013
    Good to know. As much as I'd love this show to go on forever, I think it has to be these three and no one else. Because the chemistry can't be replicated with anyone else. I would prefer the show go out on their terms than to be dragged out longer than it needs to.

Yaspaa

[16]Jun 20, 2013
    New season starts this month I think. The 30th.

MattAllenLFC

[17]Jun 27, 2013
    Indeed it does. There are two synopses on the guide already.