Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

Season 20 Discussion

Yaspaa

[1]Jun 27, 2013
    • level: 79
    Only 6 episodes, which is not really unexpected, but I'll treasure each proper episode. None of this special crap. Hot hatches in the first episode with the Fiesta ST which I'e heard is really good. I actually owned the last one, but this one looks much better.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MattAllenLFC

[2]Jul 3, 2013
    • level: 62
    Not a brilliant episode, but certainly not a bad one. I gave it 7.5. I think the 0.5 was sentimental...

Predictable that they chose the Ford as the best hot hatchback. Have they ever not liked a Ford? I'd rather walk than drive one of the damn things. Yacht race was a tad on the lame side, but worth it for the discomfort and incontinence of James. It wasn't a 'proper' race as such because it just looked like an excuse to race against a yacht with a dodgy pretence. I do like the BBQs to introduce the new reasonably priced car. They have become a bit silly, but still good fun. Even a 7.5 Top Gear is better than everything else .

MajLorne

[3]Jul 12, 2013
    • level: 21
    Agreed, the episode was average. The main highlight was seeing Jeremy trash around the rental car like a 'madman'. Also the news segment where Richard was talking about his incident with the pothole was funny too. That said, I am hoping the next few eps are better.
    The Africa special last 'season' wasn't that bad. The two picking apart Hammond's car was hilarious. Part 2 was slightly better than part 1. The India special, the first half was good, but the rest was really unnecessary.

Olmanslow

[4]Aug 3, 2013
    • level: 1

I am thoroughly enjoying the season, as I have past seasons. Doesn't matter to me which car they choose over an other, (don't take their opinions seriously) as long as they continue to give viewers a peek at the many different makes and models as they do. Many of us will never even see let alone drive many of these cars, but we still enjoy seeing them being reviewed. Skits such as the "Hover Van" can be very entertaining and humorous, and I enjoy specials like the India and Africa specials enormously! Now, the "Star in the Car" segments can get a little long and slow, but that's just me.

I think as long as they keep providing escapement by testing all kinds of cars and placing the viewer on roads and in countries he/she may never see, and throw in humor as they do, this show will remain popular. I know I never tire of seeing a new episode!!!

MattAllenLFC

[5]Aug 5, 2013
    Not the best series, but certainly not the worst. The hover van film left me cold on first viewing, but seemed more tolerable when I gave it a second viewing earlier this week. The great thing about Top Gear is you can watch it endlessly. I've still got series 19 on my Sky box. I think I still have series 18, too... and the African Special - despite having bought the blu-ray. Fanboy, eh?

Series 20 Episode 1 - 7.5
    Series 20 Episode 2 - 7.0
    Series 20 Episode 3 - 9.5
    Series 20 Episode 4 - 5.0
    Series 20 Episode 5 - 9.0
    Series 20 Episode 6 - 10

Re: Spam on the front page: if you see any, just hit the 'flag' button and the staff will remove it. Removing it is not something I can do.

Yaspaa

[6]Aug 5, 2013
    • level: 79
    Die spammers.

MajLorne

[7]Aug 9, 2013
    So far the season has been sorta average. I mean it's enjoyable, but i do agree the star segments go on longer than they need too and the hover van wasn't their greatest project (snowbine and the cop cars will still be among my favs). But can't wait to see the next and final ep of the summer. (airs this monday in the US)

polsixe

[8]Oct 2, 2013
    • level: 12

Ah BBC Canada chops them up! Just reallzed we get a 60 minute show with 15 mins commercials and the original UK episodes are over 60 mins. No wonder some Stig laps are missing and some bits end abruptly.

MattAllenLFC

[9]Oct 8, 2013
    A satellite channel in the UK - Dave - does the same thing - hacks them to pieces to show adverts and the same trailers over and over again. Completely unmatchable once you've seen the original on BBC 2. I suppose they do this rather than let them run for 80 minutes because they like the 60 or 30-minute running times. I think in New Zealand the episodes run for 120 minutes. Fancy a move?

MajLorne

[10]Oct 21, 2013
    I don't mind the 90min blocks they have when they air the episode more or less intact on the first week. I just hate how they butcher an episode from a longer one. I don't want to miss a thing and if I have to miss something, I'd rather it be the star's track time. Or even air it as 75 min so they can air the rerun later and not have to worry about the odd time difference.