Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

Series 10 Episode 3

sfaberge

[1]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 21

That episode was much more like old Top Gear. The bit with Clarkson driving the tiny car was pure genius.

I'm not sure I like the "mocking James" jokes every time on the news though. It all seemsa bit scripted

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RoboAmish

[2]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 18
    Yes it was a fantastic episode, Top Gear is back on form!!!

Clarkson driving the world's smallest car had to be the best bit of television all year

9.5/10

illegalferret

[3]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 25
    I have to agree that miniature car was sooo funny it had me and my houes matesin stitches!!!! Jeremy driving it round the bbc building! ah it was brilliant, definitely the funniest thing i've seen in ages!

gcswift2

[4]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 9
    While I know that there are fools out there who will disagree with me BUT... The Ferrari 599 GTB Fioriano is probably the greatest car ever built. I don't know why it didn't show on its power lap, but I know the Ferrari issubstantially faster than the Lambo. It beats the Lambo in every category including price. I only have 38 moredays until mine arrives. It's the only car that Iwas willing to wait for. I tested it Vegas andTurin and its as much fun as you can have with our clothes on. I love it...

RoboAmish

[5]Oct 29, 2007
    you're getting one!!!!

rich boy...

but I'd prefer the Peel honestly Not even kidding

Bule1101

[6]Oct 30, 2007
    • level: 10

Awesome episode, the best for a long long time...

I agree about the James joke... Not funny and scripted!

The veyron race was one of the best clips on Top Gear ever!

Laserfrankie

[7]Oct 30, 2007
    • level: 1

RoboAmish wrote:
    you're getting one!!!! rich boy... but I'd prefer the Peel honestly Not even kidding

I also would avoid the Fiat. I wouldn't buy from a manufacturer who likes to decide who is worthy to buy their cars, knowing that those "worthy" customers will probably never drive it but only masturbate while looking at them

Greetings,

Frank

Edited on 10/30/2007 4:28pm

sfaberge

[8]Oct 30, 2007
    I agree with Jeremy, I don't like the Ferrari 599 GTB. If I was to spend that kind of money on a Ferrari I would go for the F430 Spider. My dad has one, very cool

That Lambo Reventon was amazing, you could see my dad drooling

RoboAmish

[9]Oct 30, 2007
    jeez I feel very poor! All these people talking about their Ferraris and Lambos

I agree about the Reventon (pronounced Rebenton!). Sex on wheels...

gcswift2

[10]Oct 31, 2007
    • level: 9

sfaberge wrote:
    I agree with Jeremy, I don't like the Ferrari 599 GTB. If I was to spend that kind of money on a Ferrari I would go for the F430 Spider. My dad has one, very cool That Lambo Reventon was amazing, you could see my dad drooling

First of all I would NEVER buy a Lambo over a Ferrari. Why? Because they don't develop their own technology and they don't go out and prove they're better on the race track. When Lambo factory sponsers a race team maybe I'll give them a second look, but when every part on the car is designed and developed by someone else and you have the nerve to charge a premium for someonelse' tech. Thats like Dell charging more than IBM for a PC clone. Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Renault, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Ford, Chevy, Cadillac, Audi, Volkswagon, Fiat, Peugot, Citroggen, Saab, and Volvo (VOLVO!?!) ALL RACE their Cars and Lambo doesn't?!?!

Next, I like the 430, its a great little machine, but it sounds ...wrong. Also if your gonna get a Ferrari why not get an obscenly powerful V12. Unlike the Mid-engine cars named the 599 with its engine in the front require no compromises from the driver. All the Mid cars lack rear visibility, comfort, ride height, and stealth. Also they all scream "LOOK AT ME!!!". The 599 can out perform 99% of them and can still retire my BMW M5 from daily use. Yes the 599 will be my daily driver when it gets here in 36 days

sfaberge

[11]Oct 31, 2007
    I never said Lambo over Ferrari. Audi's race team has a lot of input from Lambo, the reason they don't have their own team is because it would compete with the Audi team - ever noticed that there isn't a Porshe one either?? Same company.

I think the F430 looks so much better, I really don't like the way the 599 looks. Mid engine = better handling. The 599 also weighs 220kg more!! I have no doubt it's a better cruiser and more friendly to use on the road but living in London I doubt a 599 would be that useful either! There's also that it costs £60k more. My dad has the Spider so it's obvious he doesn't intend to use it for the same thing you hope to use it for. Strangely, my dad has an M5 as well - I think he shares your garage!

This is a quote from Jeremy's column in The Times

"The 599 was hopeless. Its automatic wipers couldn't cope, either not working at all or scraping themselves noisily over a bone-dry screen. The headlights had the power of candles in jam jars. The heater wouldn't heat and the air-conditioning wouldn't chill. Ferrari may have designed the 599 to be a comfortable long-distance cruiser. They may have thought hard about making it a usable everyday car, but as I picked my way along the verge, squeezing past Minis coming the other way, and being dazzled by the "ambient" interior lighting, it was immediately obvious that they'd failed completely. It'd have been easier to circumnavigate the Arc de Triomphe in a rickshaw."

Laserfrankie

[12]Nov 2, 2007

sfaberge wrote:
    "The 599 was hopeless. Its automatic wipers couldn't cope, either not working at all or scraping themselves noisily over a bone-dry screen. The headlights had the power of candles in jam jars. The heater wouldn't heat and the air-conditioning wouldn't chill. Ferrari may have designed the 599 to be a comfortable long-distance cruiser. They may have thought hard about making it a usable everyday car, but as I picked my way along the verge, squeezing past Minis coming the other way, and being dazzled by the "ambient" interior lighting, it was immediately obvious that they'd failed completely. It'd have been easier to circumnavigate the Arc de Triomphe in a rickshaw."

Yup, sounds like he described a Ferrari. Strange noises all the time, no reliabiity, bad building quality.

Older Ferraris were notorious for heaving less building quality than a Fiat Ritmo - but you didn't notice because the engine noise made you think you put your head too close to a buzzsaw. Don't know how much they improved since then but if they went hand in hand with the improvements Fiat made, well... you know where I'm getting to :-)

The most annoying part, however, is that with a Ferrari you can only drive with no intention in going from A to B. You can only drive it for pleasure, with no purpose other then burning petrol. Because if you have a purpose for your drive, the Ferrari is useless. I once saw someone with an F430 trying to find a parking lot here in town. That was a very funny scene.

You could almost see the sweat on the driver's forhead during his futile attemps to park backwards against the sidewalk, while the cars behind him piled up honking. Pedestrians stopped to see the show and mocked and laughed a lot. Eventually he gave up and drove away with his Ferrari.

It's a bad thing when you own a car that everyone can identify the driver with :-)

Greetings,

Frank

sfaberge

[13]Nov 2, 2007
    Laserfrankie wrote:

Yup, sounds like he described a Ferrari. Strange noises all the time, no reliabiity, bad building quality.

Older Ferraris were notorious for heaving less building quality than a Fiat Ritmo - but you didn't notice because the engine noise made you think you put your head too close to a buzzsaw. Don't know how much they improved since then but if they went hand in hand with the improvements Fiat made, well... you know where I'm getting to :-)

The most annoying part, however, is that with a Ferrari you can only drive with no intention in going from A to B. You can only drive it for pleasure, with no purpose other then burning petrol. Because if you have a purpose for your drive, the Ferrari is useless. I once saw someone with an F430 trying to find a parking lot here in town. That was a very funny scene.

You could almost see the sweat on the driver's forhead during his futile attemps to park backwards against the sidewalk, while the cars behind him piled up honking. Pedestrians stopped to see the show and mocked and laughed a lot. Eventually he gave up and drove away with his Ferrari.

It's a bad thing when you own a car that everyone can identify the driver with :-)

Greetings,

Frank

My dad can park his F430 fine!! There is a skill to it though

Bule1101

[14]Nov 3, 2007
    • level: 10

I drive a 997 turbo, went a couple of months ago to test drive the f430 since I really liked how it sounds, andIalways wanted one.On the two hour drive it bottmed out 20 times over every little crest or bump. I said thank you and went back to my turbo...

Does Your Dad have that problem too?

Laserfrankie

[15]Nov 4, 2007

Please take the following as polemic with a twinkling eye

1. Ferraris: For show-offs with a rather proletarian background, who bought the car because they've been told it's cool. They like to cruise through town, showing everyone what they can afford. They only do longer trips to Ferrari fan club meetings and they go there very slowly in fear the engine might blow.

2. Porsche: For tech-loving rationalists who prefer reliability and usability over passion and temperament but have to compensate for certain anatomical defecits by bulleting with 180 mph on the Autobahn, desperately trying to get rid of those annoying AMG's, M-BMW'S and RS-Audis.

3. Lamborghini: For blokes who never grew up and still like to play with toys as an adult. They always like to be in the spotlight, act provocatively. Probably have a thing for S/M.

4. Aston Martin: For snobs who look down on everyone else, especially on Ferrari and Porsche drivers, but tend to forget that a stylish car doesn't necessarily mean the driver is, too. If they had the courage, they would put a sticker on their car saying "Your poverty makes me puke".

5. Corvette, Viper, Ford Mustang and all other U.S. muscle cars: For pimps and used car dealers, who have an unexplainable affection for the American Way Of Life, wearing cowboy boots. They also drive very slow but not in fear of engine failure but in fear of not being able to reach the next petrol station before they run out of gas.

So what category do you fall in?

Greetings,

Frank

Edited on 11/04/2007 1:50am
    Edited 2 total times.

sfaberge

[16]Nov 4, 2007

Bule - my Dad does have the problems yes. The thing is though, the F430 has one of the better ground clearances out of supercars!! We're lucky enough to live somewhere with not as many speed bumps as north London but yeah it does bottom out. The solution is to hit the button that raises the car up a bit but to press it every time you get to a bump is so tedious. Especially as the never come as one and are always in packs of about 10 per road. Still, it's an amazing car when you go get onto a flat road!

My Dad loves his cars and this is his garage:
    BMW M5
    BMW X5
    Aston Martin DBS
    Aston Martin DB5
    Ferrari F430
    BMW 750Li (Company Car)

Frank - what car can you drive without being ridiculed by you??

Edited on 11/04/2007 10:05am

Laserfrankie

[17]Nov 4, 2007

Well, never mind my little polemic

If I could shoose, I would have the following in my garage:

- Porsche 911 turbo (for fast driving)

- Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster (for the looks and the sound of it)

- Mercedes S-Class (for the long distance trips)

- Audi A4 Avant Quattro (for shopping, transporting stuff and for daily use in Winter)

- Porsche Cayenne turbo (for offroad and going to the mountains in Winter)

Greetings

Frank

LMH68

[18]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 57
    The whole tiny car sequence was hilarious ... And I enjoyed the Jet vs. Hammond ... I had managed to avoid the outcome until I actually saw the episode.

Laserfrankie

[19]Nov 5, 2007

I also liked the episode very much.

Although I think the Top Gear team is clearly British-biased when it comes to the design of cars. I mean I haven't seen something as ugly as the new Rolls Royce coupé ever since BMW released the new 7 series in 2001.

If they say a Porsche Cayenne is ugly, then as a consequence the whole team should have thrown up in buckets in front of the Rolls' grill...

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder but one cannot say that an Aston Martin is beautiful (to which I agree) and at the same time say nothing about that hideous Rolls Royce face...

Normally Jeremy is very quick when it comes to design judgements. I can't believe that this ugly front went uncommented...

Greetings,

Frank

Edited on 11/05/2007 12:28am