Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

Series 10 Episode 9

RoboAmish

[1]Dec 9, 2007
    • level: 18

Well what did y'all think of the penultimate episode of season 10? Was it more of a middling, average Daihatsu or a superpowered, extravegently entertaining Ascari?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kinezumi

[2]Dec 9, 2007
    • level: 12
    One of the best episodes ever, I reckon. Hilarious and moving/dramatic in equal measure, really superb.

illegalferret

[3]Dec 10, 2007
    • level: 25
    Not the best but still very good. the 24 hour race was very good andit was nice to see some serious emotion from jeremy.

Ultimate_Critic

[4]Dec 10, 2007
    • level: 12
    I just loved the (quote won't be exact) "and at 85mph, the Daihatsu will easily overtake the Ascari going at 70"

The Fiat 500 race was ruined by being overly-blatantly(?) staged. I know they are all staged but this one just pissed me off with their seemingly outrageously good fortune in terms of convenient ramps and timing.

sfaberge

[5]Dec 10, 2007
    • level: 21
    I don't think this one was that well edited or produced. You had no sense that the Ascari was fast during the actual road test, you only realised how fast it was after the lap time came up. With the Koenigsegg you could tell that it was very, very fast and a contender to be the fastest car on the track. The fiat thing was staged and it was way too obvious. I'd say slightly above average

RoboAmish

[6]Dec 10, 2007
    • level: 18
    wow and yet I loved it. The challenge was simply epic- hillarious but surprisingly touching, and ranks as one of my fave challenges. The Ascari test was funny too, pretty much because of the comparisons to the Dahaitsu. And the fiat test? well, James is James so he saved this segement, it didn't bother me too much cos the rest of the episode was so flawless. Best episode all season (feel free to disagree):
    9.8/10

Oforfsake

[7]Dec 10, 2007
    • level: 7

I agree this ranks as one of my favorite episodes ever.

The Ascari is an amazing car and the comparing was brilliant (esp the quote about 85mph and 70mph) and after comparing the price difference: "It is a lot faster"

The race was really entertaining to watch especially because they had to do it in a diesel which is not their prefferred mode of transport and it did break down a lot.

The BMX race was staged but who really cares i would rather see a race with pre determined ramps than just watch James say "Well i can go faster because im in a car" and having no obstacles just leave the bikes behind.

Richiebcfc25

[8]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 47

another brilliant episode from the top gear team

i just loved the stickers they had on the car that had me institches and i loved jeremys review of the Daihatsu Materia pure brilliant

LMH68

[9]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 57
    I liked the Fiat. I thought the dash was wonderful.

But I couldn't drive it, I prefer cars with more at the front & back.

ike54_basic

[10]Dec 15, 2007
    • level: 5

Great episode. I particularly like the slightly more dramatic elements that the 24h race brought in, much like the polar special.

The Fiat 500 vs BMX bikes race was ofcourse staged, and quite blatantly aswell.Did you realise, however, the sarcasm in James' voice when he says something along the lines of "That was a road test of a fiat 500, punctuated by some children on BMX bikes jumping over things for no apparent reason". I really liked that bit of "confession" there, which i have a feeling means that the "race" is not meant to be taken very seriously.

Great show!