Series 11 - Episode 1

How was it for you?

MattAllenLFC

[1]Jun 22, 2008
    • level: 62
    Series 11 is underway. Any thoughts?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sfaberge

[2]Jun 22, 2008
    • level: 21
    It was good, not excellent. The Top Gear stunt man is a completely useless addition to the show and I don't really like it. I hope it isn't a weekly thing.

MattAllenLFC

[3]Jun 22, 2008
    • level: 62

I think it is a weekly thing: next week, an MG Maestro features in the programme...

I agree, it wasn't excellent - good, with some funny lines from all three, but only worth an 8 from me in the episode rating. There are plenty of lines worth quoting, so that should occupy me for an hour tomorrow. I thought JLC and Alan Carr were a tad on the dull side and I have no idea who the two are next week (see next week's episode guide).

qrexranger9

[4]Jun 22, 2008
    • level: 8

most of it wasn't that fantastic. the guests weren't good, top gear stuntman seems like a pathetic attempt to have stig-style niche characters that I hope doesn't spread. Jeremy's ferrari review went off in so many more tangents than usual that he lost me. the fuel economy thing wasn't bad though, a 6/7ish of 10...

then there's the police car thing. cheap car challenges have always been where the show has truely excelled, and its been a couple of years since it was last done properly, especially with proper objective points systems, not just points simply being mentioned. so it was so good to see it again. and it was outstanding. I didn't just love it, in places I was in hysterics, especially when hammond showed up in his car, and when james revealed his modified car, especially when he used his paint on the stig (which actually also has good use at marking cars in case contact is lost), I thought he'd actually done it, but then being undone by something as basic as the wipers... that set me off again. jeremy's wheel spike was also genius. The rest of the episode may be only 6-7/10, but that segment was definitely a 9.

Techno_Ted

[5]Jun 22, 2008
    • level: 15
    The police car challenge saved the show from another dull series opening episode, Stig countering May genius pink paint spray had me in stiches, that Stig not just another pretty face you know.

shellymg

[6]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 5
    The police challenge was the only thing that was any good on the show. Wasnt for that it would have been a very good opening. The stunt-man addition wasnt that good and is going to get boring very quickly. And i thought the Justin and Alan werent that funny on the show compared to how i have seen them before!!!!!!!!!!!

Bule1101

[7]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 10

Well I have to agree with You all... didnt like it that much...The opening was great but far too short, with so many nice cars they could have made more out of it. jeremys scuderia review was on of the worst i have ever seen him do... I also didnt like the guest part at all, and it was longer than almost everything else... Police car was good, but not as funny as i hoped...

Well lets hope next week will be better...

yellowbucket101

[8]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 6
    I did enjoy the first episode, very funny, good to see the guys back on the screen again. Not sure about the stunt man but we shall see what else he has to do later in the series. I am very lucky to have finally got tickets for the wednesday filming so I will let you know how the next episode goes

sfaberge

[9]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 21
    It can't be two guests every week can it? I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the stuntman is pointless. They already have a pretty short amount of time to fit everything in and I didn't feel the need for a new segment.

steven111

[10]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 18
    It was a decent episode, i never really like the review parts, but the poilce car challenge was one of the better cheap car challenges. When May pulled up and his car said "Rozzers" i was in stitches!
    I think the stuntman section is just that after the Jet car incident, the presenters didnt really want to do the really stupid dangerous stuff any more, so they brought in someone else to do it. Stunt Man will probably go the way of Top Gear Dog and appear most of the episodes this series and then fade away.

TopGearFan

[11]Jun 23, 2008
    This first episode of series 11 wasn't that great but I think the police car challenge saved it. I only wished the challenge could be longer and if they got rid of the stuntman.

twopratt

[12]Jun 24, 2008
    • level: 23

With all of us looking so forward to the new series after waiting such a long time, the question is was it as good as we hoped for? Well for me at least, it was a show of two halves. I felt like they were a little uncomfortable in the studio and that the were trying to work out all the cob webs.

The review of the Ferrari I thought was good without being great. I must agree with other people that the review seemed to go of in many tangents. The SIARPC segment was pretty dull if I can be honest and I to wasn't a fan of the Top Gear Stuntman. I do think the it has some merit but I think they need to come up with must bigger stunts for him to become popular.

Then we have the fuel economy segments which I thought was just OK. Now we come to the Police car segment. While not in my Top 3 of favourites, it was certainly amusing and a welcome end to an average start.

Here's hoping that next weeks episode picks up where this one left of and is a lot of fun.

Overall I give it a 6.5 - 7/10

Edited on 06/24/2008 12:22pm

vishus1990

[13]Jun 25, 2008
    i voted excellent, but it might be because i havent seen a top gear ep in a while now and wouldnt have minded any top gear ep, aslong as the three presenters were in it with a couple nice cars.

but, in saying that, the episoded was definately not the best ive seen and i hope they pick up where they left off last season. the police car challenge had potential and could have been much better, but i think they went over the top with the "sillyness" and ruined it for me. the rest of ep was as good as usual.

yellowbucket101

[14]Jun 26, 2008

Ed's edit: The contents of this post have been moved to this thread.

Edited on 06/26/2008 11:28am

vishus1990

[15]Jun 26, 2008
    I liked the race with one gallon of fuel. I was surprised that the lambo lasted for such a long time.

i thought it would have been kind of equal to the ferrari.

also interesting to see that the prius wasnt so great with fuel consumption when they put it up against the m3.

vishus1990

[16]Jun 26, 2008
    steven111 wrote:
    Stunt Man will probably go the way of Top Gear Dog and appear most of the episodes this series and then fade away.

I agree with you here, honestly, I wouldnt mind if they took him off the show, he doesnt make it any better in my opinion.

And Im pretty sure he will be gone next season.

Ultimate_Critic

[17]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 12
    I found it mildly exciting with a hint of humour. When broken down, however, each individual segment could be easily seen as weak.

I hate to say it but I really do want to see more actual car reviews.

Booo101

[18]Jun 28, 2008
    • level: 7

I love challanges and the police one was great!

What I didn't understand is what was that Clarkson called "How they spent summer 2008". Will they show it? As it seemed promosing

twopratt

[19]Jun 29, 2008
    • level: 23
    Booo101 wrote:

I love challanges and the police one was great!

What I didn't understand is what was that Clarkson called "How they spent summer 2008". Will they show it? As it seemed promosing

The clip that they showed after Jeremy said that was a preview of what is coming up in the series so in answer to your question, yes, all of those segments will be shown but not all in one show.

GFinlayson

[20]Jun 29, 2008
    • level: 2
    Meh, Good, but not excellent... esp after such a long hiatus.

MattAllenLFC , could you update epguides.com with Se11 info pls?