Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

Series 11-Episode 4

What did you think of this episode?

dh13579

[1]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 9

So Episode 4 has now aired. Post your thoughts of the episode.

Edited on 07/14/2008 12:36am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Bule1101

[2]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 10

Well I liked it! It was pretty good. Although when i read on Clarksons blog that this is in his oppinion their best film, I cant agree. It was cool how it ended up so close, but there was no real excitement except the end. I wasnt on the edge of my seat like with the aston and 612 races. And the end was messed up, it was rushed and there was no time to look at what they did, like at the end of every other race.

The guests were bad again, although not as bad as last week. I think the person in charge of brinig the guests along (is that a casting director? or who is in charge of that?) should be fired...

Cant wait until next week

dh13579

[3]Jul 14, 2008
    I agree. The challenge wasn't the best. The reasonably priced car segment was when I went and got a beer. I don't want to do that this week!

sfaberge

[4]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 21
    The guests so far have just been people from the BBC so I guess they were forced to do it. Looks like Top Gear is losing guests to me.

The challenge should have been great and some of the parts were but I agree, it lacked excitement. This is probably because Clarkson didn't actually like the car himself. In all the other races, Clarkson adored the car and he was excited etc... It was too rushed at the end but thinking back, the majority of the episode was the race so I'm not sure we can criticise them for not spending enough time on it. Maybe better editing would have worked if more time was spent on the ending. It just didn't get you involved enough.

I really don't get why the do the stupid photo segment in the news all the time now.

qrexranger9

[5]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 8
    Although good, the race wasn't the best, the pointless signs were hilarious, and the rest was good but unremarkable. a boringly good to middling 7.

twopratt

[6]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 23
    I really liked this episode. It is true that the series got of to a slow start but they have picked up the pace and I am really enjoying it now. I have to agree though that the SIARPC segment is pretty boring at the moment and I do hope that they can go back to just one person.

vip3r666

[7]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 1
    It was a good episode, but it doesnt top off the Veyron vs. plane or the Polar Special. Nothing will top those off. I do like the fact that they came out and said that the races are real and nothing is faked

Ultimate_Critic

[8]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 12
    My favourite so far by far. I love the races and this one felt less manufactured than the others too... which was nice.

Richiebcfc25

[9]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 47
    i thought it was a great episode but does anybody think it strange that they flew out the lads to japan just so they could have a race i thought they would spend more time filming other segments there

dh13579

[10]Jul 18, 2008
    They went over to Japan because the car was only available their when they filmed it.

yellowbucket101

[11]Jul 19, 2008
    • level: 6

I would love to see another film like the America trip, that was simply brilliant

PoliceCop1

[12]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 2

To start off, that Alfa was art, those tweed-wearing brains don't know anything!

In fact it looks so modern and cool it looks like it could be fuelled with cappuccino. (one of Clarkson's own quotes there)

It sort of looks like a Ferrari 599 from the side, (which of course isn't a bad thing).

And those Koreans with the nuclear bombs need to take note, because the sound of one of those hitting the ground, will sound like a pin-drop in relation to the noise the Alfa Romeo blows out. And of course the Alfa won't blow your head off... but it will blow your socks off!

Astonishing Car!

But now we must move on, to do THE NNNEWWS! Yes the news, i loved the piece on 'pointless road signs', especially the one that said "Secret Nuclear Bunker"

I've never agreed with Clarkson more than when he said Sarah Jessica Parker looks like "a boiled horse"

And i really chuckled when he "rang up" Reg Varney to tell him to sell the bendy buses... to the Belgians.

Now, onto the epic race!, sadly this was not the best race the boys have ever done, although i laughed all the way through it, sometimes a titter, sometimes a gigantic belly laugh, most notably when Richard and James were calling Jeremy when he was stuck in traffic, and Jeremy was screaming at the man in front of him in the little white hatchback, and then complaining to Hamster and James about him, class! Also when he was going on about speed cameras and held up his Bill Oddie decoy-face. And the moment when Jeremy had to re-fuell, pulled in to the petrol station, pulled out his Bill Oddie and said to the Japenese 'petrol-pump woman' "He can spot your beaver from a mile away", and she had no idea what he was saying, had me in stiches!

And the point when Richard went looking for drinks and completely left the train without knowing, that was very funny, what a numpty.

And who can forget "Amy", Jeremy's sat-nav girlfriend.

But, Top Gear really need to stop doing official timed laps in the wet (like they did with the Alfa Romeo in this episode), you never get a good idea of handling or speed.

Altogether, a great episode of the show, very informative and extremely funny, everything i want Top Gear to be.

9/10.

Edited on 07/21/2008 3:37am
    Edited 2 total times.