Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

Series 12 Episode 5

This week's episode was...

MattAllenLFC

[1]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 62

This week's episode discussion thread.

The 40th birthday of the Ferrari Daytona is celebrated in true Top Gear style - with a race. Richard, driving the Daytona, will race James, who is in a power boat, from Portofino in Italy, to St. Tropez. Back in the cold part of Europe, Jeremy is on the track with a BMW M3 and a Lexus IS-F and some Touring Car drivers swap their cars for buses... Grand Designs presenter, Kevin McCloud, is this week's Star in a Reasonably Priced Car.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sfaberge

[2]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 21
    It felt very scripted... That's probably the word that comes to mind for this episode

yellowbucket101

[3]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 6
    I may be going mad but I gave this episode a 10! I just thought it was a perfect episode, it had a brilliant car review, an entertaining guest, the cool wall and a race! What more could you ask for, OH and the bus races, hilarious! As for the previous post saying about being scripted, well of course it is, but a lot of it is totaly un-scripted, and it definately feels less scripted than the last season! Simply perfect, loved it

mirador1987

[4]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 12
    Without a doubt the best episode of the season so far. And this coming from someone who has loved every episode this season.
    And scripted? Well hey, most of my favourite shows are scripted dramas or comedy's. Does it stop them being hilarious or engaging? No. It doesn't. Unscripted shows that I can think of: I'm a celebrity, and parkinson. Neither of which particularly cater to my tastes, so yes, I'd rather have a scripted and hilarious top gear.
    This had everything that a great top gear episode has.
    The bus racing was fantastic, The daytona was breathtaking, the whole show had me laughing, and even the SiaRPC was fantastic.

This is getting 10.0 from me.

RoboAmish

[5]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 18
    sfaberge wrote:
    It felt very scripted... That's probably the word that comes to mind for this episode

You mean the whole being stopped by the cops bit?

Really, I didn't feel it was any more scripted than the last few episodes to be honest. It was a solid ep, best part was the Cool Wall with May's hideous shoes

qrexranger9

[6]Dec 1, 2008
    • level: 8
    minute for minute probably one of the best I've seen in ages. I was supposed to say something similar about last week as well but for some reason never got round to giving a verdict. this is a much better season than the last one. lot more consistent good stuff.

Kh1ndjal

[7]Dec 1, 2008
    • level: 11
    the cool wall was best imo, too
    i think i liked the previous episode better, not to say that this was bad or anything, though

MattAllenLFC

[8]Dec 2, 2008

I like the fact that they have reigned in the cocking about in this series; it's more like the Top Gear prior to series 9. It's a pity the useless and totally without purpose Italian police ruined the Ferrai Vs boat race. Kevin McCloud was one of the more enjoyable guests, yet, the irony is, his spot was shorter than the utter dullard that was Matk Walberg. Or did his appearance just seem a lot longer?

Oh, I'd rather have the Maxi than that HIDEOUS Porsche. Seriously; who would buy that? Just buy an Audi RS6 Avant.

Edited on 12/02/2008 7:58am

Bule1101

[9]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 10
    I have to dissagree Matt, I like the porsche... And if You try the new RS6, u wont like it a bit I promise. It is too heavy and no fun at all...

MattAllenLFC

[10]Dec 4, 2008
    I recently travelled in an RS6 and have to say my disappointment was acute. I think all Audis are like that; you really want to like them and probably do, but buy one? Hmm, that's a different story. The sporty seats were quite unpleasant as well...

Bule1101

[11]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 10
    I had a chance to try a friends car, though it was the sedan, and it left me cold. It is heavy to be any fun around the corners, and since it is 4wd you dont even get that feeling you are on the egde... And when You push, the way it accelerates more when after it shifts, it feels a little bit like a disel...