Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

Series 12 Episode 7

I thought that episode was...

MattAllenLFC

[1]Dec 13, 2008
    • level: 62
    Hydrogen-powered cars and an orange Welshman. Thoughts please...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MattAllenLFC

[2]Dec 14, 2008
    • level: 62

That was probably the most boring and pointless episode of TG I've seen.

Touring Cars: great idea, but dull film.

Tesla: meh...

Tom Jones: meh..

V8 granny thing: I'm sorry, but I'm older than 8, so that left me cold.

TG Stuntman: pretty much as above if I'm honest.

Honda: interesting...

I gave last week's a 10 - this week's looks like a 5 - a 6 if I'm generous.

RoboAmish

[3]Dec 14, 2008
    • level: 18
    Ugh, too many dull spots this week. Dull guest, a lackluster awards ceremony, and the Will Young joke being driven into the ground. And of course, the very unwelcome return of the most pointless creation in TG history- Top Gear stuntman. Still, it made me laugh (the news never fails to) and the car reviews were pretty good, especially James.

Solid... but only just. Bit of a letdown after last week's stellar episode

Kh1ndjal

[4]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 11
    worst episode of the series.

i liked the honda bit, the news was okay.

the top gear awards weren't half as good as i'd thought (i won't forget last year's when James mentioned the insane amount of tax drivers had to pay). was waiting for the climax of the touring cars bit to come, but it never came. the Will Young joke got annoying by the time they did the top gear awards.

not the best way to end the series in my opinion, i'll pretend episode 6 was the last...

qrexranger9

[5]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 8
    the electric car stuff wasn't so bad. The rest however... the Touring car thing was just an excuse to show crashes while being in denial that they'd ever do such a thing. Tom Jones was rather a lot of straight plugging. News was actually rather good. Shocked at the return of top gear stuntman. even if with the jump record thing they tried and give it at least a smidge of point to it. The granny/engine thing was a wtf moment. admitedly dinner was ready around that point so I wasn't watching all of it so I may have missed something but judging by the reaction of everyone on here it looks like I didn't. To think the series was going so well.

Bule1101

[6]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 10

Well i dont think it was that bad to be honest. Tom Jones and the awards were bad, but the cars were pretty good.

Especially when Jeremy said that its snowing in hell, i cried how much i laughed...

mirador1987

[7]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 12
    Certainly not the best episode, but even a poor episode of top gear, is miles better than the best episode of most other shows, so still a great watch.

Loved both electric car bits. The future of motoring is a topic I find fascinating, and the rapid advances in technology are always a subject I like to see coverage on. The second an electric car is more useable and more fun than my little impreza, then I'll be switching over, and by the looks of things it's not far off.

Tom Jones, not a huge fan.
    Any V8 creation always makes me giggle.
    And the best part of the entire show was James May: "......Hello"
    I almost fell off my chair at that point.

For top gear: 6.
    For tv in general: 8.7

fixitsan

[8]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 1
    A totally biased and completely inaccurate show if you ask me.

James May said the Honda does not have batteries, yet even Honda's prodcut spec sheet says it has a large 288V lithium Ion pack.

There were questions about the sources of electricity for the Tesla, but no mention of the sources of hydrogen. one leader of hydrogen production published a figure saying Hit takes 70kWh to make and compress 1kg of H2. That drives the FCX Clarity 72 miles, but the Tesla can go 300miles on the same amount of electricity

The FCX clarity segment showed Jay Leno talking about the FCX as if it were better than the Tesla, but do you know he is a big Tesla fan too ? http://tinyurl.com/44lkom no mention of that in the show either.

The charge times of 16 hours were the worst case scenario, some Tesla owners are recharging in 3.5 hours.

No mention that the clarity is lease only, $600/mth and only 200 will be made. Nor that the fuel cell costs over $200,000 and needs replacing every 10k miles, or that the hydrogen fuel tank costs the same as the tesla's battery pack

The Tesla only managed 55 miles pushed to the max, but so does the Bugatti Veyron (2.1mpg X 26.7 Imp Gals)

Surely the show was nothing but a Honda sponsored PR stunt ?

RoboAmish

[9]Dec 19, 2008
    • level: 18
    and surely your comment was sponserd by the Tesla crporation?

fixitsan

[10]Dec 21, 2008
    • level: 1
    I'm an engineer who has had to do evaluations on various renewable technologies recently.

What I can't understand is how much effort Top Gear put into their 'No Batteries' attitude.
    GM built the EV1 battery electric car in the 1990's, and it was a major hit with Hollywood stars, they even had Mel Gibson on hold for one. Then they recalled them and crushed them and then began selling Hummers instead. Now they're in trouble too.....hmmmmmmm ?

The point which was missed in the episode was that the Honda FCX Clarity is a battery electric car in the same sense that the Tesla is a battery electric car andf they share nearly identical drive topologies. The only thing which the Honda has which the Tesla doesn't have is an onboard hydrogen powered battery charger, but other than that they're both battery electric cars and to call them anything else would be misleading

sfaberge

[11]Dec 22, 2008
    • level: 21
    fixitsan wrote:
    A totally biased and completely inaccurate show if you ask me.

James May said the Honda does not have batteries, yet even Honda's prodcut spec sheet says it has a large 288V lithium Ion pack.

There were questions about the sources of electricity for the Tesla, but no mention of the sources of hydrogen. one leader of hydrogen production published a figure saying Hit takes 70kWh to make and compress 1kg of H2. That drives the FCX Clarity 72 miles, but the Tesla can go 300miles on the same amount of electricity

The FCX clarity segment showed Jay Leno talking about the FCX as if it were better than the Tesla, but do you know he is a big Tesla fan too ? http://tinyurl.com/44lkom no mention of that in the show either.

The charge times of 16 hours were the worst case scenario, some Tesla owners are recharging in 3.5 hours.

No mention that the clarity is lease only, $600/mth and only 200 will be made. Nor that the fuel cell costs over $200,000 and needs replacing every 10k miles, or that the hydrogen fuel tank costs the same as the tesla's battery pack

The Tesla only managed 55 miles pushed to the max, but so does the Bugatti Veyron (2.1mpg X 26.7 Imp Gals)

Surely the show was nothing but a Honda sponsored PR stunt ?

Jay Leno wasn't asked about the Tesla because it was a different segment to the show.

It's quite ironic someone saying that the reviews on Top Gear were biased and then coming on here and writing these two posts.

You seem to ignore the charge time completely which is actually fairly important. A car with such a small range that can take up to 16 hours to recharge is not viable in reality. The Honda takes the same amount of time to fill up as a regular car so it is much faster. Let's say you want to do a journey greater than 40 miles, that's greater than half of the Tesla's range so you won't be able to make it back without recharging and how many places do you think will have a plug outside for you to recharge?

To be fair, the Bugatti Veyron has a significantly higher performance than the Tesla. If the Veyron was driven at the maximum speed of the Tesla, the range would be greater than the Tesla. You can't compare the range at two max speeds unless it is relative.

If you haven't noticed, Top Gear is aired on the BBC... So your comment about the PR stunt isn't valid.

To say that GM is in trouble because they decided to sell Hummers instead of electric cars is just plain wrong. Every car company in the world is struggling - this includes Honda and alternative fuel companies. Did you hear that sales of electric cars has decreased by over half in the last year?