Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

Series 13 - Episode 1

I thought this episode was...

MattAllenLFC

[1]Jun 12, 2009
    • level: 62

Might as well do this now while I'm here...

Thoughts on the first episode of the new series and all the excitement of voting in the poll!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kh1ndjal

[2]Jun 19, 2009
    • level: 11
    is it true that episode 2 will air 2-3 weeks after episode 1 airs, because of Wimbledon? if that's the case this episode better be good enough to hold us until then.

MattAllenLFC

[3]Jun 19, 2009
    No, that's not true; they don't play at Wimbledon on a Sunday, so don't worry about that.

Bule1101

[4]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 10
    MattAllenLFC wrote:
    No, that's not true; they don't play at Wimbledon on a Sunday, so don't worry about that.

Are You sure about that? I am pretty sure that the final is played on a Sunday...

Meredith-Grey

[5]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 7
    yes it is, but wimbledon is on BBC1 top gear is on BBC2

MattAllenLFC

[6]Jun 20, 2009
    The Mens final is on a Sunday, but that's the only Sunday when there is play at Wimbledon. There won't be any play next Sunday. Episode 2 details are in the guide, by the way.

ltcomstella

[7]Jun 21, 2009
    • level: 18

ok so not many have seen it then ?

ok so micheal schumacher is the stig ? WTF the bbc must think we are brainless morons

felt sorry for hammond, nice to see jezza 'working' for once

now on the note of ppl saying jezza likes schumacher i'd say this ep shows different !

i was hoping for coulthard or jenson button even johny herbert ! even damon hill would of been better, but no they had a uber ferrari and of course shumacher had to drive it so talk about let downs...

looking forward to the chicks in cars ep !!

MattAllenLFC

[8]Jun 21, 2009
    A good episode. Best bit: James calling Jeremy a "cockend". The Lotus sounded more like a ladies body part than a dress shop and as for Stig... hmmm, OK. I was quite enthused by the montage of things to come... it all looks very good. Exciting.

On another note...

Can the people voting for the episodes before they have seen them have a little think about what they are doing? Eight people voted for this episode before it was broadcast and one person has already voted for next week's episode (a perfect 10, no less).

Come on, we're better than that.

qrexranger9

[9]Jun 22, 2009
    • level: 8
    First up, 2 confessions. I'm a fan of both trains and of Schumi (Both controversial I know, even if the former only is as its a car show). I was as excited as a a schoolboy seeing Tornado (well I was excited enough with the show being back). But aside from the race there wasn't that much of substance, as great as it was seeing schumi when they got the 'stig' thing out of the way (i don't think it was meant to be taken seriously, I didn't) it wasn't that great. Just really 1 review and a lap of a different (if better) car. Those who don't share my interests probably would be far less impressed.

Bule1101

[10]Jun 22, 2009
    • level: 10

Well lets be honest it was by far the most boring Top Gear race ever. And the lotus was also boring, come on no one believes its as good a lambo or porsche!

But Schumi saved the episode for me. I am a huuuuuuuuuuuge fan and I wanted to see him on the show since day 1!! Ok we know he is not the real Stig, but it was still cool as hell when he lifted the helmet and we saw the big chin! I am sorry that they didnt let him do a real lap in the Suzuki!

I have to say that at this stage I am quite concerned for this Series. I didnt feel much "magic" this time around...

aloonatic

[11]Jun 23, 2009
    • level: 7
    ltcomstella wrote:

ok so micheal schumacher is the stig ? WTF the bbc must think we are brainless morons

Quite the opposite. I think the Top Gear crew think you have a sense of humour and are, in fact, intelegent enough to realise tha he isn't the Stig, and that they don't need to have a message flashing on the screen saying "Schumacher is not the Stig, Schumacher is not the Stig, Schumacher is not the Stig"...

I would wager that Ferrari would have wanted him to drive the Ferrari around the Top Gear track too, as part of allowing it on the show, so the Top Gear team just took the opertunity for a little mischief and fun with the "who's The Stig" running gag.

All in all, it was another great show. Jeremy being made to work is always amusing

As a Brit, Top Gear always cheers me up a little. It makes a nice change to see my licence fee being put to good use for once.

Kh1ndjal

[12]Jun 23, 2009
    • level: 11
    not one of the better episodes imo.
    i found the race rather boring.

when a BBC spokesperson was asked about the real identity of the stig she said "top gear is an entertainment programme"... which leads me to think every one of their races is fixed.

the montage was great, though. (the stig in front of a T-REX???).

hoping the series picks up (i'm sure it will).

MattAllenLFC

[13]Jun 23, 2009

I think it was also a dig at the Daily Mail; Clarkson did say (although it could have been lost in all the cheering): "The Daily Mail was wrong". The races are most definitely not fixed, read (Andy Wilman's blogs on the Top Gear site). One thing is bugging me, I know it shouldn't, but it really has reached the point of making me scream.

Hammond, get a ****ing haircut, you look like a total ****.

Edited on 06/23/2009 6:34am

sfaberge

[14]Jun 23, 2009
    • level: 21
    MattAllenLFC wrote:

I think it was also a dig at the Daily Mail; Clarkson did say (although it could have been lost in all the cheering): "The Daily Mail was wrong". The races are most definitely not fixed, read (Andy Wilman's blogs on the Top Gear site). One thing is bugging me, I know it shouldn't, but it really has reached the point of making me scream.

Hammond, get a ****ing haircut, you look like a total ****.

I'm glad the editor said that last part and not me. He looked even more ridiculous perched on that huge bike. It looked like a toddler sitting on daddy's motorbike.

qrexranger9

[15]Jun 23, 2009
    • level: 8
    Agreed on hammonds hair. Just rewatched it just to see Tornado again. It's a sad indication that the best part by far on a car show was a steam engine, followed by a German with a reputation for being dirty (Massive fan but can't ignore his transgressions). Montage promises much better though. Looks like some proper racing and the thing with the girls could prove a classic.