Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

Top Gear on BBC America

speddoc

[1]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 42

I just discovered Top Gear is coming to BBC America! Judging by the BBC America's summary, they'll have at least Seasons 8 and 9 to start with. I wouldn't be surprised if they go back and get older ones if it's a success. It begins airing on Monday, August 20 at 5:00 pm, repeating at 8:00 pm Pacific time.

Doing the happy dance!

Edited on 08/12/2007 1:18pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MattAllenLFC

[2]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 62
    If your happy dance is anything like James' happy dance when they finally got through the boulder field in the Polar Special, it will indeed be a fabulous dance.

Ultimate_Critic

[3]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 12
    Isn't Top Gear already in the US? I've even seen an episode of the Simpsons where they do a car montage type thing with the Top Gear theme music (Allman Bro's)... coincidence?

speddoc

[4]Aug 12, 2007
    The Discovery Channel showed a composite version of episodes from around Season 4/5 at one time. I think there were roughly 10 of them, but they were done with new discussion for the American market, and never included segments such as the Star in the Reasonably Priced car, So we got a sort of hybrid version, and it hasn't been on (aside from one episode where they kill the Hilux) since late 2005. I just wish they'd back up further and at least show Seasons 6-9.

Iskreth

[5]Aug 14, 2007
    • level: 15

Sigh...this doesn't help those of us who don't get BBC America, though. I dream of a day when everyone, even a silly, basic cable American like myself, has access to adequate Top Gear resources.

One step at a time, people.

Edited on 08/14/2007 3:20am

sfaberge

[6]Aug 14, 2007
    • level: 21
    This isn't good news, can you imagine how badly this is going to go down in America!!! They are going to have to cut out half the show before they show it!

speddoc

[7]Aug 15, 2007

Yeah, unfortunately, BBC America does reside in the above-basic tier of cable service, darn it for some. But one can hope it will reach everyone eventually.

I'm not all that worried about the cuts as I once might have been. BBC America took a lot of heat about its editing following one particular series, and has done a fairly sensitive job of late. And let's face it - there is a certain amount of fat in most episodes. It's also very possible TG will be show intact on its On Demand service, which anyone who has BBCA will also be able to access. So I'd prefer optimism until I have a reason to feel otherwise.

Ultimate_Critic

[8]Aug 16, 2007
    • level: 12
    Surely you can download sneaky torrents of the UK episodes... I know I have... a friend who may have done so in the past when he missed an episode.

J-o-h-n-n-y

[9]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 16
    I thought Jeremy, James and Richard were supposed to be filming a version of Top Gear especially for Americans, what happened to that?

MattAllenLFC

[10]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 62
    It was suggested that Jeremy's refusal to spend time in America killed that idea. I can't imagine how the BBC could possibly justify using the Licence Fee to make programmes exclusivley for another country.

sfaberge

[11]Aug 18, 2007
    I don't think it would have ever worked anyway. They hate almost all American cars so what are they going to say to them?!

speddoc

[12]Aug 21, 2007

J-o-h-n-n-y wrote:
    I thought Jeremy, James and Richard were supposed to be filming a version of Top Gear especially for Americans, what happened to that?

They did one series, but not in the US. It took clips from various episodes of Series 4 and 5, best I can tell, re-edited the mess into about 10 45 minute episodes (60 min. with commercials) with new commentary, and was shown on the Discovery Channel about two years ago. It wasn't bad, but wasn't what you get at all; no idea how well it did over here. But given Jeremy's generally crappy attitude about everything and anything American, I'm not surprised he didn't want to do any more.

Edited on 08/21/2007 12:44am

Elin_93

[13]Sep 9, 2007
    • level: 9
    Hey Doc, I didn't know you like Top Gear!

Richiebcfc25

[14]Sep 25, 2007
    • level: 47
    i wonder if they are going to show the american road trip where they have to buy a car for $1000 and travel through america doing challenges

sfaberge

[15]Sep 28, 2007
    Richiebcfc25 wrote:
    i wonder if they are going to show the american road trip where they have to buy a car for $1000 and travel through america doing challenges

Lol ~ I have my doubts about that

Richiebcfc25

[16]Sep 28, 2007
    • level: 47

i do as well

also they seem to edit and censor alot of the anti american stuff that jeremy says on bbc americas top gear

djreli

[17]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 2

sfaberge wrote:
    Richiebcfc25 wrote:
    Lol ~ I have my doubts about that
    I think they took out the alabama scene and the gun scene... but they aired the rest I believe..

anyone know when series 10 is going to air in the states? I want to see the vw take some action if so message me thanks!

Edited on 10/09/2007 7:39am

djreli

[18]Oct 16, 2007
    • level: 2
    also the famous cross country episode is airing on monday 10/22 if anyone is interested

esquerita

[19]Oct 22, 2007
    • level: 43
    Richiebcfc25 wrote:
    Well, this episode just aired and it doesn't seem like anything was cut. All the juicy bits I read about were there. This show crossed the pond just in time. Fantastic episode!