Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

Top Gear Polar Challenge

How was it for you?

MattAllenLFC

[1]Jul 13, 2007
    • level: 62
    The Polar Challenge is here - hurrah! Wednesday 25th July at 8:00pm, BBC2. Check the programme guide on the main page for details. When you've watched it, take part in the specially 'commissioned poll'.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

J-o-h-n-n-y

[2]Jul 13, 2007
    • level: 16
    Oh, so the BBC got their summer special after all. Good for them.

efc1991

[3]Jul 25, 2007
    • level: 25
    I'll Be Watching It
    Edited on 07/25/2007 9:05am

chilledsandwich

[4]Jul 25, 2007
    • level: 5
    haha, summer special, very summery theme!! Definately be watching it though, cannot wait, haven't had my Top Gear fix for ages now!!!

Gudni_Massi

[5]Jul 25, 2007
    • level: 5

I loved this episode, perhaps because I love snow and ice and ice-crawlers and all those things.

P.S. I just happen to be Icelandic

sfaberge

[6]Jul 25, 2007
    • level: 21
    That was quite good!! It dragged a bit though compared with their other stuff. Still, it was good TV. That woman that took Hammond was impressive, it's a shame they didn't say how far behind Hammond was

pdavda

[7]Jul 25, 2007
    • level: 6
    I loved it, great episode of Top Gear. Some of my favourite moments were when Clarkson got that bolt stuck to his lip, the parts when Jeremy drove off with James on "the throne" and when Jeremy asked if James had any ice lol classic.

Calfkiller

[8]Jul 25, 2007
    • level: 9

I thought it was great fun and really helped me with my withdrawl between series. I was a little disappointed that James and Richard weren't paired together like they usually do, but the Clarkson/May combo worked really well. Mainly because Jeremy was allowed to do all the driving, while James could prattle on about cheese products and his love of SPAM.

My biggest criticism has to have been the fact we didn't see Richard make it to the pole. Even though he lost, he certainly underwent a greater series of trials and endurance than the other two. And I feel the viewers should have been rewarded by actually seeing all three of them at the pole.

I agree that it did seem to drag a bit, and the start with the lads joking about their training was a bit silly, but the climax and adventure was the real treat.

Can't wait for the series to return proper later this yeah. Oh, and if Doctor Who can have a Christmas special, maybe we could have another Christmas themed challenge this year.

J-o-h-n-n-y

[9]Jul 26, 2007
    Calfkiller wrote:

My biggest criticism has to have been the fact we didn't see Richard make it to the pole. Even though he lost, he certainly underwent a greater series of trials and endurance than the other two. And I feel the viewers should have been rewarded by actually seeing all three of them at the pole.

It seems that Richard was just forgotten about once the race got going. At the end,ll the focus was on Jeremy and James making it through the ice and getting there, and we only got the occasional reminder that Richard was still going.

That doesn't mean it wasn't great viewing, though.

MattAllenLFC

[10]Jul 26, 2007

Well, I quite enjoyed that. It really hit home what a bunch of big kids they are - James especially - when you saw the picture of a penis he had drawn on his note book.

It seems as though Jeremy and James were a richer seam of material than Richard, but then I suppose with them being in a car they were easier to film. Hammond is clearly a nutcase for doing that, but you've got to admire his balls - more than those drawn by James - for doing that just seven months after the accident.

J-o-h-n-n-y

[11]Jul 26, 2007
    MattAllenLFC wrote:

but you've got to admire his balls - more than those drawn by James - for doing that just seven months after the accident.

The Bionic Hamster strikes again!

Calfkiller

[12]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 9

Favourite bit has to be when Jeremy was pushed into the ice water. He was so pissed but still seemed to realise arguing with an ex-Royal Marine was probably not the best think to do. Had me in stitches as the guy kept shouting at them. Someone should give him his own show.

Strangely enough, I found Hammond's journey more interesting than James and Jeremy's. It could have been a special all on its own, but with the Top Gear gang altogher, you can't really argue.

Top class entertainment all round.

MattAllenLFC

[14]Jul 31, 2007

The shot of Jeremy and James drinking gin whilst driving to the Pole, was exceptionally funny.

sfaberge

[15]Jul 31, 2007
    MattAllenLFC wrote:

The shot of Jeremy and James drinking gin whilst driving to the Pole, was exceptionally funny.

My favorites are when they are driving asleep and also the look on Jeremy's face when James brings out the white wine

davidnsibs

[16]Jul 31, 2007
    • level: 3
    That was just astonishing. Loved the episode. I do worry slightly where they can possibly go now though. Like first it was racing a train, then a plane, then that monster of a journey Clarkson did vs the ferry to Scandanavia, and with the USA thing, now this, not to mention trying to send a car into space.

What else can the boys possibly do?

A truly incredible TV show though. And having had a holiday in Iceland this month, coming back and watching this has now made me want to go back, or to North Cananda / Greenland and go on a week's off roading through the snow

Ultimate_Critic

[17]Aug 1, 2007
    • level: 12
    I completely missed the build up, first (and second probably) showing and then the ending because the PVR cut it off.

It was awesome though! This is what they should be doing in the off season - huge stunts with no real purpose or motoring aim - just great TV which everyone can enjoy.

Can someone tell me what happened at the end though? I was cut off just as the alarm/bells signalled Jeremy and James to tell them that they had arrived at the North Pole.

davidnsibs

[18]Aug 2, 2007
    • level: 3
    They phoned Hammond, and he was understandably gutted. Clarkson said how theyd got there, James took the phone and just said "Bad Luck". James ate his spam and they did a little montage to show what they (and the Hilux) had acheived. We didn't see anything else, they didn't show Hammond getting there or anything (we don't know if he did), so you didn't really miss much. I heard from somewhere they might show an extended edition at some point though, so you can try again to watch it

sfaberge

[19]Aug 2, 2007
    The guide that took Hammond remained hugely happy through the whole thing. It's a shame Hammond didn't!

eMetiB_101

[20]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 36

This was the most challenging special/episode undertaken by Top Gear to date. I don't think Jezza, May and Hamster really knew what they were getting themselves into at the beginning of it.

Apart from one cringeworthy scene (eww) I enjoyed every minute of it. It's a shame Hammond didn't beat James and Jeremy to the pole as he had a far greater challenge of endurance. That said I don't think Clarkson or May would have got anywhere near as far as Richard did had either of them taken the dog-sled.

Can't wait for series 10.