Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

Top Gear's Mexican stand-off

Did the boys go too far?

MattAllenLFC

[1]Feb 3, 2011
    • level: 62

What are your thoughts about the comments made about Mexicans? A joke? A deliberate provocation against "heresy of thought"?

Personally, I think people are way too sensitive. Last week, John Bishop's presence provoked the old stereotypes about Liverpudlians... as you may have noted from the last three letters of my username, I am a Liverpudlian. Was I offended? No. It was always going to happen. To think Clarkson would miss the opportunity to take the piss was naive. And do you know why it was naive? Because people take the piss out of each other. That's what people do. I expected it - saw it coming a mile off and they didn't disappoint.

'Sticks and stones', as they say...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mermayd

[2]Feb 7, 2011
    • level: 19
    I actually thought that joke crossed a line. I'm an Aussie and there were some pretty rude things being said about us but I felt it was a joke. The Mexican thing, however, was nasty. And if you watch carefully, even Jeremy looks a bit shocked as Hammond is saying it. Maybe because instead of being a throwaway, one line comment, they really got stuck in.

I would be happy if the boys just made funny films about cars - like the winter olympic special, or any of the numerous challenges. That is what makes me laugh. Why do they feel the need to insult people. There's no reason for it and frankly they can do better without it.

RaphEmer

[3]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 7

They've insulted so many other countries, just as badly (I mean, they accuse Americans of mating with vegetables, being fat, incestuous...and they do it repeatedly), and no one seems to complain. It's the stuff that's been going on afterwards that gets to me. Apologies/explanations have been made, yet media people keep bringing it up.