Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

What is your favorite Top Gear challenge

twopratt

[1]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 23

Trying to narrow this down was a lot harder than I thought. It took many sleepless nights and days of work just pouring through my collection of Top Gear episodes to try and narrow it down. And finally I have come to a conclusion.

I have to give condolences to the amphibious car challenge (both of them) because they were so hugely funny and entertaining but I have decided to go with the outsider and choose the "Kit Car challenge" as my favorite. I loved watching all three of them trying to build a car together and seeing them bicker and curse each other. From James's filing to Jeremy's inpatients to get on with it (resulting in him have to install the same seats a few times), I was laughing all the way through it. But what made it that extra bit special was how it ended with the Stig getting pulled over by the Scottish police and taken away.

Classic Top Gear

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

80stvfan

[2]May 20, 2008
    • level: 7

Yes, it is quite difficult to narrow down to just one, is it ok if I give a top 6 instead?

1st. The 10,000 pound Italian Supercar challenge. Jeremy's engine explosion was awesome, and so was James' breaking down, as was Hammond's over confidence.

2nd. The Cheap Porsche Challenge. Hammond's lowly 924 was the star, while Jeremy's 928 was a rubbish car.

3rd. Any of the challenges where Jeremy drives an exotic car to somewhere and beats James and Richard using public transportation.

4th. The Mothers challenge, where the boys recruit their mothers, Mrs. Hammond, Mrs. May, and Mrs. Clarkson to test a Honda Jazz, Renault Modus, and that Peugot what ever the heck it was.

5th. The tractor challenge. May, your gonna die, I'm going to feed you in to your own machine! Need I say more.

and Finally, the Polar Challenge. CLARKSON, I KNOW ITS YOU YOU INSUFFERABLE OWF, I'M ON THE BLOODY THRONE!

Richiebcfc25

[3]May 22, 2008
    • level: 47
    The british leyland challenge and the polar challenge our my faves

MattAllenLFC

[4]May 22, 2008
    • level: 62

Richiebcfc25 wrote:

Which slovenly Midlander built this?

dh13579

[5]May 23, 2008
    • level: 9

My favorite has to be the limos or the amphibious cars

I've got every top gear dvd lol how sad am i!

yellowbucket101

[6]May 23, 2008
    • level: 6

I have to say the one which made me laugh the most was the limo challenge, but the channel crossing was also sublime. Also the America trip had me keeled over struggling for breath, I know that wasn't strictly a challenge but it was 'challenging' to get through red neck county alive!

twopratt

[7]May 25, 2008

Richiebcfc25 wrote:

That challenge was a little ripper and just thinking about it made me think about how bored someone must have been to be sitting in the editing suite and think, "Gee, all those car noises sound like a Pink floyd song". That is dedication right there. lol

Richiebcfc25

[8]May 26, 2008
    • level: 47
    twopratt wrote:

Richiebcfc25 wrote:

That challenge was a little ripper and just thinking about it made me think about how bored someone must have been to be sitting in the editing suite and think, "Gee, all those car noises sound like a Pink floyd song". That is dedication right there. lol

the two reasons i love that challenge so much was firstly my dad used to work for british leyland at longbridge and secondly because i literally couldnt breath for laughing so much when jeremys car door fell off when they filled it up with water

shellymg

[9]May 27, 2008
    • level: 5

Its so difficult to decide there have been so many challenges to choose from which are so funny n stupid!! but i have a top three!!! well these are the ones dat never seem to get old

The one where they were in America i jst couldnt stop laughing the whole way through especially when they nearly got beat up in the Deep South!!!

Next would be the limos it was so outragiou

And finally crossing the english channel

MattAllenLFC

[10]May 27, 2008

I seem to be the only person who didn't find the Channel crossing challenge either good, or funny. I liked the original amphibious vehicle challenge a lot more.

Welcome to the TG forum, shellymg.

twopratt

[11]May 28, 2008
    MattAllenLFC wrote:

I seem to be the only person who didn't find the Channel crossing challenge either good, or funny. I liked the original amphibious vehicle challenge a lot more.

Welcome to the TG forum, shellymg.

I actually thought that both of them were really well done. But even though both challenges featured amphibious cars, the tone and spectacle were completely different. While in the first challenge, it was all new to them at that was the really big challenge (to make an amphibious car), in the second challenge, they knew that they could build the car but what was put to the test was there ability to learn from previous mistakes and hence the greater challenge.

While both seem the same, both are also very different so they both should really be viewed on there own merits and not against each other. Of-course, I am not saying that people have to like them. I just thought that I would make an observation.

vishus1990

[12]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 15
    It is extremely hard to choose one. One that comes to mind that really made me laugh out loud was the limo challenge. Cant forget the America challenge either. The races were awesome with Jeremy in the car racing James and Richard on public transport. Also the Italian Supercar for 10k challenge was pretty good too. All in all I cant really pick one though, and Im sure that Ive definately missed some of the other GREAT Top Gear challenges that they have had over time.

froggysfriend

[13]Jun 8, 2008
    I have seen this show a few times and enjoyed it - and I'm not really "into" cars. The presenters are really entertaining and somehow cars look different through their eyes. I'm from England, so that is part of the fascination I think.

I'm sorry to hear it's not going to be around any more.

Caroline

twopratt

[14]Jun 9, 2008

froggysfriend wrote:
    I have seen this show a few times and enjoyed it - and I'm not really "into" cars. The presenters are really entertaining and somehow cars look different through their eyes. I'm from England, so that is part of the fascination I think. I'm sorry to hear it's not going to be around any more. Caroline

"Won't be around anynore". I havn't heard this news? Has this show been cancelled or have they all pulled the blug after season 11?

MattAllenLFC

[15]Jun 9, 2008

Fear not, Canada-based TG fans; the programme will return - expect it to be confirmed in the schedules this week - probably tomorrow (10th June). TG will not be ending after this series, either. As far as know from the blog written by Andy Wilman, they intend to continue until people get bored with them.

Have a look around the Top Gear mag' site, the blog may still be online. Sorry I can't find it for you, but there is a very interesting programme about the Romans on the History channel which demands my attention.

vishus1990

[16]Jun 9, 2008
    I dont think it will end soon, and to be honest, the last place it will end will be in England. Im pretty sure that it would be most popular there.

PoliceCop1

[17]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 2

I have two joint favourites:

The American Road Trip was fantastic! Everything from the cow on the roof to the ignorant rednecks was brilliiant.

Aaaaaand, i think the Polar Special was the best feature Top Gear have ever done, it was so well-performed and was so very British.

gallifrey91

[18]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 4
    I dont know why anyone hasnt said this one, it makes me laugh everytime i see it. Its the one where they build a convertible, and drive it through a safari park and a car washing machine and set it on fire. Also, the new one where they have a 4 way race through london, by boat, public transport, bike and car, of course. I couldnt help laughing when the stig's phone went off, and he stood there looking at it. Obviously, the car had to lose, and have a massive cover up at the end. Oh, yeah, i crashed into the lampost. . .