Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

What type of car do you drive and what do you think of it?

sfaberge

[21]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 21
    Ultimate_Critic wrote:
    How much is car insurance in the US? Does anyone ever get a hand me down car?

Lol the amount of **** cars driving around in America it looks like no one ever throws any away!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mandy_gough

[22]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 10
    Im in australia and I drive a V6 Holden Commodore S 2002. It is a fantastic car, good on the take off and just a beautiful car to drive.

TopGearFan

[23]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 6

Ultimate_Critic wrote:
    How much is car insurance in the US? Does anyone ever get a hand me down car?

Car insurance pricing varies. It's based on driving history and what car you drive.

Bad Driver (with points on driving licence) + Cadillac Escalade = High Insurance

Good Driver (Clean Record, no points) + Mini Cooper = Not Very Expensive Insurance (European cars tend to be a bit high)

Many people get hand me down cars. It is not uncommon for someone to do that (and yes, that is why many people drive **** cars). My brother drives my parent's 1992 Honda Accord LX that they owned since new. My dad bought it one month after I was born and it is the car I practiced driving in.

sfaberge

[24]Jan 5, 2008
    How much roughly is insurance for a novice driver in the US for lets say a small Euro car?

TopGearFan

[25]Jan 6, 2008
    • level: 6

sfaberge wrote:
    How much roughly is insurance for a novice driver in the US for lets say a small Euro car?

I researched insurance for a small European car: a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S (Golf S in UK) in 3-door hatchback form. That car with an annual mileage of 10,000 miles and a driving experience of less than 3 years shows up to be about $3,150 a year.

sfaberge

[27]Jan 6, 2008
    TopGearFan wrote:

sfaberge wrote:

I researched insurance for a small European car: a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S (Golf S in UK) in 3-door hatchback form. That car with an annual mileage of 10,000 miles and a driving experience of less than 3 years shows up to be about $3,150 a year.

Thanks, it's actually similar to the UK, I thought it would be less in the US. When I need to drive in the US I always use a BIG car because every other car is so huge driving a small car would be a death trap. People don't even see you on the road!!

kato111

[28]Jan 20, 2008
    • level: 1

my first car was a mark 2 golf gti 1.8 16v, very nippy but a damn police magnet, cant count how manymes i was pulled over in that car.

second car was a vw scirroco, nice but things went wrong nearly everyday with that one.

3rd car was my favourite honda civic type r, beautiful drive.

present car is a seat leon fr 2.0 which im really enjoying at the moment, though i am being pulled towards the alfa brera!!

mrsfleeshman

[29]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 51
    I drive a Fiat Siecento. It's only a tiny car and wouldnt do too well on the Top Gear track! lol
    But I'm 18 and I only use it to get to uni and back- it's cheap to run and doesnt use much petrol. For me, its perfect

zekezank

[30]Jan 22, 2008
    • level: 2
    I have had a few hondas, includeing a Honda CRX SI with a swapped out engine and turbo. Right now I mainly drive my MK 3 VW golf. The next car I am looking to get is the VW R32. I have always been a fan on Hondas, but I imagine I will be driving VWs or Audis for a while now since I started working for VW about six months ago.

Ultimate_Critic

[31]Jan 23, 2008
    • level: 12
    sfaberge wrote:
    TopGearFan wrote:

sfaberge wrote:

Thanks, it's actually similar to the UK, I thought it would be less in the US. When I need to drive in the US I always use a BIG car because every other car is so huge driving a small car would be a death trap. People don't even see you on the road!!

It does sound very similar, but regardless of the similarities - alot of american kids seem to be driving what a regular new driver british would consider 'fast cars'. Petrol over there is ridiculously cheap too... something along the lines of 35p/litre to 105p/litre here.

Richiebcfc25

[32]Jan 23, 2008
    • level: 47

it is definately alot cheaper to drive here in the US then it is to drive in britain and i know becuase i have lived and drove in both countries.

but the roads in britain are definately a lot more fun to drive on instead of the endless straights roads we have here in the US

sfaberge

[33]Jan 24, 2008
    I know, I remember reading about people in the US complaining about a petrol cost rise. Come on!!! It's still half what the British pay.

I think in the USA the social divide between the rich kids driving nice cars and the less wealthy kids driving terrible cars is much bigger than it is in the UK. I drive a Mini and that here is considered for a 17 year old a pretty decent car. In the USA you get people in college driving Corvettes and Vipers

Richiebcfc25

[34]Jan 24, 2008
    • level: 47
    sfaberge wrote:
    I know, I remember reading about people in the US complaining about a petrol cost rise. Come on!!! It's still half what the British pay. I think in the USA the social divide between the rich kids driving nice cars and the less wealthy kids driving terrible cars is much bigger than it is in the UK. I drive a Mini and that here is considered for a 17 year old a pretty decent car. In the USA you get people in college driving Corvettes and Vipers
    its $2.81 a gallon where i live so thats about 1 pound 40p a gallon in england

Ultimate_Critic

[35]Jan 24, 2008
    1 gallon = 3 3/4 (i think)litres
    140p/3.75 = 37ish pence per litre.

sfaberge

[36]Jan 25, 2008
    37p a litre is the cheapest petrol ever. It's about 105p at the moment in the UK.

BTW is it true that petrol in the US is less powerful? It always seems to have the bad image of giving cars less power

kansasorpat

[37]Jan 30, 2008

I don't believe US gasoline/petrol is less powerfull then UK petrol but it could be. Depending on where you get it, most has about 10% ethenol in it to reduce emmissions and increase octane. That would only be about 2.5% reduction in power/unit. While that does reduce power/unit, it alowes for more boost/compression ratio generally giving more power but less full efficency. There might be other adatives that reduce it's power but I've never heard of any differences between it and European petrol like I have heard of the differences between US Diesel and European Diesel.

It does seem silly that us Americans complain about our fuel increase when compaired to your cost but much of the complaint came around the time of Katrina when fuel went from $2.50 /gal to $4.00 /gal in about a week. Most americans don't have the option to choose public transportation and it's hard to take a 75% increase to your travel expenses. I have a very short drive to work of about 10 miles and I probably pay about $150 in gas per month (that could afford you a really cheap cars payment in the US). I know some people that dirve 30 to 50 miles to work and I couldn't imagine their cost to commute.

sfaberge

[38]Jan 31, 2008
    I can just imagine if I drove my car in the US how little money it would cost me. I mean my car does about 40mpg and at 37p a litre my fuel bill would be a bargain!!!

Ultimate_Critic

[39]Jan 31, 2008
    I can't decide who has the better commute. I would assume that most US commutes are motorway style driving, but UK involves alot of inner city and country as well as motorway. I used to travel 24miles each way on a country road which was the main motorbike sunday driving route when I worked in a hotel. On top of that I usually finished at around 11pm during the week and ragged it all the way home. That is some serious petrol costs.

kansasorpat

[40]Feb 1, 2008

I totally agree with you that it's cheeper for us to drive, but my impression is that we drive further every day. We like to have our space and thus we have lots of sprawl. I only live 10 miles from work but very few people in my office live closer then that and some live a lot further away mainly because of the housing prices around the Baltimore Washington area. I now live in the city but I grew up in Kansas where we had to drive 30 miles to the closest grocery store and over 200 miles to the closest mall/big city (300,000 people).

I lived in Nelson England for a few month when I was a teenager and it was pretty funny listioning to peoples grasp of how large the USA is. We had people asking us if we knew their cusion in Canada since it's right next door (only about 3,000 miles away). We have the area for sprawl and we've abused our low gasoline prices to exploit that, now that gasoline prices are rising it's coming back to bite us.