Top Gear Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC TwoBetween Seasons

What's the deal with the the Koenigsegg?

SqueakyYugi

[1]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 13
    When they put it on the leaderboard, it had a really long name, like "Koenigsegsegnigseggingingseggigiseg" or something. Why is that?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ultimate_Critic

[2]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 12
    My memory is a tad hazy but it has to be something to do with it being the first time a Koenigsegg had appeared on Top Gear (their first ever car) and it is a strange name when you first hear it, let alone spell it, so Jeremy went overboard with the 'igiseggigseggigs' when writing the lap time.

twopratt

[3]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 23

SqueakyYugi wrote:
    When they put it on the leader-board, it had a really long name, like "Koenigsegsegnigseggingingseggigiseg" or something. Why is that?

There is a simple explanation for this. They were deliberately poking fun at the fact that the Koenigsegg is such an unusual and long name. It started with Hammond writing the name on the board but ran out of room so he got a bigger piece of card. It was taking forever to write so Clarkson finished it off. I thought it was very amusing.

mrsfleeshman

[4]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 51
    As the others say. It's just a joke at how difficult it is to say and spell. Top Gear being Top Gear exhagerated it into a joke.