Top Gear

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC Two Premiered Oct 20, 2002 Between Seasons

MattAllenLFC

Top Gear Fan Reviews page 2 of 5

• I just don't get what all the buzz is about.

4.1
    Okay, I understand that this series has a huge following outside of the USA and because of that I tried to watch it, while it was on its brief time while it was on the Discovery Channel in the US, to see what it was all about. I have to said is that I wasn't to impressed by what I saw here. So I just don't understand what all of the buzz is about and I don't think it has to be the fact that I am female. I think it was the fact that I think I grew up on the PBS series, Motorweek back in 1980s that might of tinted my feelings about it.

I thought that might because of Discovery's handing of it, because I know that USA and UK network have a different way they handed the commerical breaks and the to many commerical breaks might of destroyed the timing of the episodes, which is sometimes a key to the humor, that this series is reported to have. So once again I tried to watch it again on the BBC America, which I think is a better choice for this series, but once again I found myself with a bitter taste in my mouth about the series.

Again, I got nothing wrong with the fans of the series, because everybody is different and is emtitled to their own feelings, but this isn't my cup of tea.
  • The best car show ever produced!

Top Gear, a great show that is on since 2001/2002, for 16 seasons now is one of the greatest shows the UK ever produced, in my eyes.

Simply because first: I really love cars and at specially fast and expensive ones.

Then there is the way how they present it, it's just awesome, funny and always informational, even if they bring it on a very strange way.

Also, with the specials, you kinda see places you never see a film crew before, so, you get to see new places, which is awesome:) Certainly Bolivia was my favorite till now, awesome sunset! Also, the road in Bulgaria, was really awesome to see.

Since the beginning, at least, since it aired in the Netherlands, I am watching it, with all the pleasure there is, even the episodes that I've already watched 20 times, still see me watching, just because, it's fun! And sometimes I even miss 1 once in a lifetime movie for it, just so I can watch this show.

Then there are the actors, Jeremy made a simply awesome documentary, Richard followings him and made an even better one. May is the only one I still not yet have seen:O But that is OK.

My favorite though is the Stig. Last week he drove like he was the best rally driver ever and that was just AMAZING.

So, with this dramatic English I gonna end!

AWESOME SHOW!
  • And I don't even like cars..

but I do love this show!! Late one saturday night I returned home from work.. on the tv was this show with three guys making amphibious cars to sail up some river.. ever since then I've been hooked!
    There is something about Jezza, James and Hammond that has me in stitches every show. Whether they be reviewing some car, just talking, or diving round the country side. This show is a classic!
  • A Hilarious and informative English car show. I love it!

Top Gear is a long running series about cars that has been copied by many nations. I have seen all the versions and I must say that the UK series is the best! Hosts Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond (accompanied recently by 'top gear dog') take part in road tests, challenges and international trips to provide top notch entertainment, (in my eyes anyway). With Celebrity guests, and prices and features of various cars; useful for buyers, appeals to a wide demographic. I love the hosts sense of humor in making the show, as not to make it a boring car documentary. Thanks 4 listening, Sarz.
  • best car show!

Its the best show about cars there is because it isnt boring and has good humor. for example fifht gear think they are better and funnier than top gear, there not! top gear has funny specials and good advice about cars people would want to buy or not buy.
    another thing is that they are pretty old so they have experience with cars, they are not some youngsters that tell to to buy a car with lightbolbs on top and tvs in the back. they just give good advice about cars.

And they have what nobody else has....he is called: the STIG!!!
  • One of the most entertaining shows I have seen.

Top Gear as you will know by now is about cars, but it is not like any other car show you have seen before. People of all ages, both genders and even non-car enthusiasts enjoy watching the trio and their cars.

The brilliance of the show is the comedy flare, along with how different the three hosts are. They dance on the lines of insulting people, guests and each other, most of the time in good humor but still a bit edge at times. With the format of competing against each other doing some crazy challenges, you end up being glued to the screen.

For me though one of the greatest thing about this show is the camera work. Every review of a car, every challenge and just about every episode has such an amazing filming and editing that now (they are up to 13 series when this is written) you are amazed that visual directors still seem to be finding new ways to shoot car scenes. If you haven't watched this - You should do that... right now!
  • You'll either Love it or you'll hate it... I love it

This is one of the most original and humourous car shows on TV to date. One its great strengths or weaknesses depending on your point of view is that it doesn't hold back, it is what it is and does it with a vengeance. So if you love it, you'll really love it, otherwise you'll hate it.

Anchored (technically) by Jeremy Clarkson, and admirally supported by Richard Hammond and James May, the show does indeed review cars (or at least some of it does). Most of the show is taken up with Challenges, sometimes serious, sometimes just humourous and sometimes completely outragious where the presenters compete for the prize of bing the winner. However its the way which it presented which makes it so good. The presenters never take themselves nor what they doing really seriously, which then makes it fun to watch whether you are a petrol head or not. I didn't know one end of an engine from another when I started watching but I couldn't stop watching this show... whilst its rival 5th Gear still gets turned off from boredom. It is true that they never review cars you'll be able to afford, but why would they. Whats the point of comparing a Renault Megane and a Vauxhall Astra. The information is all on the internet and you can test drive them. The point is they are every day cars, you see them on the streets, you can ask your mate down the pub. A show on TV is about seeing what you'll never own or likely get a chance to drive, but would love to (from a Petrol Heads point of View) and from the other side its the humour not the cars anyway.

Top Gear is a show with a difference, and as long as you have a sense of humour, and don't take everything too seriously you'll probably love it... That is as long as you don't let Clarkson get to you by taking him seriously.
  • Probably the best TV show I've seen in a decade. Funny, interesting and sometimes informative, Top Gear is and excellent combination. All three hosts have good chemistry and are fun to watch. Original, witty and rarely will you be let down.

The Kind of Show You'll Tell Your Friends About. I know I've told everyone I know. Even if you're not into cars, you'll find Top Gear Funny and interesting. I have yet to watch a show that I didn't enjoy. Then there's The Stig. Feeling down? This is the show to watch. World's fastest car vs. a Typhoon Jet Fighter. Japanese Exoticar vs. a Bullet Train. Crossing the English Channel to France in jury-rigged cars. Driving through the deep South (of the US) and well, watch it and you'll see. It's one of the most posted shows on YouTube and has spawned knock-offs in Australia and Canada.
  • Wonderful for both car savoy and non car individuals alike...this show is one on the reasons I never change from BBCA.

I honestly know NOTHING about cars, so the fact this is one of my top shows to watch says A LOT! But when watching I feel a bit smarter about cars when with friends, girls mostly, than I really am...and looking at James May for an hour DOES NOT hurt. But seriously, it is a wonderful show and the info they give out is interesting,if nothing else the comedy, looking at cars going about a track. I want to learn stick now! As well I'm developing a liking for cars, fast ones at least. This show has changed my life in so many ways.
  • When will the BBC realise this is there best show?

Ever since Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Wilman decided to bring Top Gear back from the dead this show has got better and better with each series, only now starting to be recognised.

The wit of May, the honesty of Clarkson and the presence now of Hammond. it is true what Top Gear says, you dont have to be a petrol head to enjoy Top Gear. With the great blend of the epic challenges and the classic road test that slogan comes true.

It just seems that with every challenge the boundry gets pushed even further as with Jeremy Clarkson comes controvesy, but that just makes it more watchable.

Now it seems the real challenge now is keeping up with themselves to keep the pace going and keep the show as interesting as it has been, and the fact is in the new series it will be a hard job keeping up with the last series
  • Funny car show

Top Gear Is the best car show it is much better than the boring show fifth gear.
    Top gear has been going for years and has been one of my favourate shows of all time.For any car fans you cant miss this show its styelish fresh and never dissapoints the writers never run out of ideas to throw jeremy, james and richard into something dangerous like race across europe or drive to the north pole.
    some of the features on the show like star in a reasonable priced car are allways good to watch and the cool wall.
    cant wait until next season.
  • A great show that is always fun to watch.

Top Gear somehow manages to be a car show but yet be funny and entertaining to people who aren't interested in cars. Its a mix of the 3 hosts messing around and often doing crazy things, getting involved in wacky challenges where they often end up competing with one another. Its funny, entertaining, and about cars, what more could you possibly ask for? Plus they don't seem to be afraid to mock or make fun of... well anyone. If you haven't seen it, you need to start watching. For those of us in the US, you can usually catch it Monday nights on BBC America.
  • Good

watched this show loads of times, love it, talks about cars that everyone would love one day and some cars which are use full to everyone, i love the tasks they do in the shows tho, which make it more comic and more enjoyable to watch, you got to love the Stig in this as he is pro, dont know who it is but love to find out who he is tho, he has to be a racing driver of some sort, allso love the Top gear as it takes the mick out of things, overall love the show, not seen as many new ones as i would like to tho....
  • how can the other channels continue to make other shows???

mind blowing,fabulous,Original,creative,Funny,full of ideas,intresting....and the list can go longer and longer than any other show.
    simply its 1 of the best things they played on TV ever...i mean its like ok ok ok many of the people who will read this review wont be convinced about the halo im talking about but people...imagine im talkin about a cars show and my intrest in cars is zero....i never cared about any car weve bought or any1 i know owned!!!!!!!!!!!
    so how do u like it now?????ive been in ur shoes dear when i heared Top Gear on TV or a friend recommended it for me i took it for a granted and i was like yeah yeah a cars show but fffffffffff....
    i can talk more and more but without further addo i simply giving uuuuuu my new best friend.. TOP GEAR ull never get bored
  • Brilliant, only started watching in New year.

Makes me happy. You get an adrenaline rush from watching it, and i am a girl (seriously). Fantastic! The humour is quick witted and although it's the same plot, Clarkson, Hamster and May are so quick-witted, therefore it always ends with a different twist! No one knows I watch this and i'm not ashamed to admit it! Hehe, when it came out i though what could be more BoRiNg! all it is is Cars Cars and more cars. but now even i know theres waaaay more to it than that!
    Love u lofty
    lolage X x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

By kirzi97
  • 3 middle aged blokes cocking about abd arguing it's ambitious rubbish and absoloutley fantastic !

this show is petrolhed heaven gets better every series . . clarkson hammond and may funniest blokes ever never get bored of watching them fall over and catch fire bring on the next series. powerrrrrr!
    must be getting hard to think of new ideas though and now there's an australian version whicth i was shocked to hear about but then i wathced and it was'nt bad better than fifth gear and old top gear put together !!!
    i think even though it's been going six or seven years now it will start to get old one day but until it does top gear forever woooooooooooo
  • Top Gear is a car show that showcases the latest cars but also is funny at the same time.

Car lover or not, this show is just plain funny. Top Gear features car reviews, challenges, The Stig, Star In A Responally Priced Car and The Cool Wall . It's three hosts represent 3 different generations. Jeremy Clarkson- the oldest one and represents the baby boomers.

James May- the middle one and represents middle-aged people and

Richard Hammond- the young one (and the small one) represents todays generations.

What makes Top Gear so funny is how it is always Hammond and Clarkson, in the challenges who often end up in trouble whilst James likes to take it easy and is the only who thinks practical not like his fellow co-hosts.
  • One of the most epic shows that have ever come on the air.

Top gear is a car show which combines fantastic entertainment as well as a whole sea of info about the latest and the greatest cars in the world today !

I mean what could be better then watching 3 middle age men falling over a lot. And yes the "pet" racing driver is a big boost to the shows apparel. My personal thinking is that the show started out ALL about cars and a slice of entertainment. The start was the year 2002. The show only had a hand full of people in the studio. As the show got bigger and bigger more and more people started to fill the studio , i say around season 3 would you call it a "packed" audience.

I really like the Top Gear epic races. So far to this day , all from Jeremy racing the first race in the Aston Martin DB9 to the epic but "tedious" diesel race to turn on the Blackpool lights on. (Well sorta Hammond got that one but Jezza in his Jaguar was the true winner). I pick 2 races that i like : " Race across japan in the new R35 GTR , and the Bugatti Race across Europe.

I could talk for weeks about the show but i must break this one up in saying.

Top Gear is the greatest show ........*long pause*............ in the WORLD
  • Top Gear UK is the best show about cars ever made. There's something for everyone, whether you're into cars or not.

Humour is taken to the next level every episode. It's not just a show for petrol heads, it is also an entertaining comedy about 3 guys and cars. There is never a dull moment and the show is very informative about a range of different cars. The competitions between the hosts get crazier every time with them ranging from drag races to parking challenges there is always something for everyone. The special guest segment is always funny and gives us a glimpse into the guests life and their driving skills. Top Gear UK is the best show about cars ever made. There's something for everyone, whether you're into cars or not.
  • Love cars or hate cars, it doesn't matter. Like a good comedy it's the characters that make this show so good. Once you get to know them you can't get enough of the wild ideas, informative content, and most of all, funny road trips.

I guess it can be both good and bad for a show, when people don't agree on what makes it so good. For me it's all good though. Top Gear is loved by both people who love cars and people who couldn't care less, and view cars as something to get them from point A to point B.

Top Gear has everything from car news, car tests, road trips across the continents, crazy english humour to sensible information like a crash test summary. If the content isn't enough to interest you, perhaps the characters will. There's James May, aka. Captain Slow. He usually arrives late, and is the sophisticated of the 3. Then there's Richard Hammond, aka. Hamster, who tries the most outlandish things, like monster trucks, drag cars and so on. And then there's Jeremy Clarkson, my favourite. He's loved and hated in England, but I love him. Great sense of humour, and everyone plays well off eachother, the road trips are my absolute favourites. Be sure to check it out, car-lovers or car-haters.
  • A excellent hour-long show even if you're not a car lover.

Top Gear is a brilliant motor themed show, and while it is very informative and has some interesting car reviews even the least enthusiastic petrol-head can adore the show. It claims the genre of a magazine but I like to think of it as a comedy game show. The boys, Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond, often stage challenges in which the three of them buy budget cars and test to the car's performance and reliability, scoring points to determine the victor. Just seeing them mock each other and get into all kinds of trouble makes a great show in itself.
    Then there's the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car challenge in which celebrities compete to achieve the fastest lap time on the Top Gear test track. Before the lap is shown Jeremy interviews the partaking star which is quite interesting.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the special episodes. The boys went on trips in budget cars in Botswana and America, and then there's the Polar Challenge where they set a record for being the first people to get to the north pole in a car.
    Top Gear is by far the best motoring magazine out there and will probably continue to be for many years. I highly recommend watching it whether you like cars or not.
  • lovin the new series of top gear already!!

Well on sunday we all saw top gear come back to our screens whith a new character the stuntman and seeig the boys doing there usual stuff.

gotta tank richard for going with the barbie truck as a police car as this made superb tv. Clarckson being his usual creative self and adding wepons to his car and james may going with the original police car style look :D

All this and with a brilliant montarge of whats to come over the following week i personally cant wait for them to be back with the next episdoe :D Just brillant :D
  • A show in which 3 presenters (Richard,Jeremy and James) review and compete with cars.They test the latest most talked about cars and have competitions in a number of races involving cheap cars etc.to see which is best.

I personally love cars which is probably why I enjoy this show so much but I really think this show is open to all viewers because of it's original humour,witty presenters and overall brilliant entertainment.I find this is much more than a review show and provides you a detailed look at how the hype and actual driving and control of the cars differ.I love the challenges because they give them an unusal goal to achieve eg;cheapest car they can find and see how their different choices compete with each other.I like the way there's a celebrity guest sometimes on the show because it makes it more interesting and although the presenters are incredibly entertaining it provides some offbeat comedy and a chance to see a talk-show atmosphere to the show.I find the most attention-grabbing aspect of this show the presenters who are always brilliantly funny and competitive against each other in the challenges which as we all know is entertainment at it's best.
  • TOP GEAR is a high octane mix of performance cars, adrenalin, comedy and celebrities. It is the BBC's hugely popular motoring magazine that test drives and brutally appraises the world's most popular cars with startling honesty

Top Gear the name itself makes it give some sort of appeal if you are a car fan.This show not only describes about cars but also makes you laugh on the hosts jokes on the news or track.Top also has a magazine which is the most popular one in motoring industry.On this show cars are driven not only brutally but they are described and presented in a very honest and truthful manner.you also have some have guest on this show which come and drive around top gears own personal test track and the best thing is power laps are done by just one person "some say when he brakes, brake lights come on from his buttocks and that his scrotum has its own gravity feel" all we know is he's the STIG.at the end only thing i can say is you should watch it, even if you are not a car fan still you will be entertained.
  • Its simply the best car related show out there. It definately sets a clear benchmark for any of the "copycats".

Top Gear is the best car show out there no doubt, but the most important part is that it appeals to a much wider audience than just the car enthusiast out there. Especially lately they have the right combination of car reviews and also challenges which would be aimed at the non-car entusiasts out there, whereas in older seasons they aimed for the true car crazy people out there.

The presenters are the most important part to this show, they create the brilliant atmosphere and exciting challenges and not to forget the laugh out loud humour. The three of them, Jeremy, James and Richard share a great bond with each other, mostly through ridiculing one another, but this is what keeps viewers coming back each week for the new episode.

All in all, Top Gear is a great show for that lazy Sunday night.
  • This is a show about cars with a twist!!!!!!

The main part of the show is reviewing cars from the ones non off can afford and only dream of ever owning to the cars which we can afford. they review the cars and give there oppinion and advice. from the name you would think it just involved the test driving of cars but its not!!! they as in the co hosts are sooooo funny and brillant charactors who are also friends and take the hand out of eachother!!! the guys set each other tasks which are so unbeliveable and stupid you laugh from begining to end!!! like the time the crossed the english channel in carboats which the designed from old bangers!! r wen they were in South Afracia. then theres the star of the show stig an unbeliveable driver who dosent speak n wears jst his jumpsuit n helmet so no one knows what he looks like but is one hell of a driver!!!!!! hes the one who takes the super cars out on the track and tests the **** out of them!!!!!! the even have celebrites who try out reasonably priced cars to get the fastest time and theres the cool wall with jermay and hammond figting over wat goes were!!!!!!!! this is a must see programme even if you dont knw that much about cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • This is by a very long way the best motoring programme to grace our screens

Top Gear is a BAFTA, Multi-NTA and Emmy Award-winning BBC television series about motor vehicles, mainly cars. It began in 1977 as a conventional motoring magazine show. Over time, and especially since a re-launch in 2002, it has developed a quirky, humorous style. The programme is estimated to have 350 million viewers worldwide and 8 million viewers each week in the UK on BBC Two. The show is presented by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May and The Stig, an anonymous test driver. Interestingly it is one of the most pirated television shows in the world, this just goes to show how popular it is. The brilliant camaraderie between Clarkson, Hammond and May is second to none and is a breather of fresh air to our screens. Especially considering it is on the increasingly pc BBC. It is a totally un-politically correct show in a world of ever increasing pc, truly a masterpiece
  • Some genius Top Gear moments!

I love Top Gear and today discovered that BBC Worldwide have got a really cool Myspace page that has got clips from loads of their shows all the Attenborough stuff etc they have a whole top gear sections which is just brilliant.

Short but defiantly punchy clips of the best moments are hilarious

There has been loads of talk about if there is too much larking about and not enough serious car talk but I think Top Gear is great the way it is, looking back at these clips i love it when they jump the old volvo over a whole row of caravans....classic actually there are loads of great clips- which is your fav???

www.myspace.com/bbcworldwide incase you want to check them out!
  • Even if you don't like cars, it's worth watching just for the laughs!!

I absolutely love Top Gear, especially the challenges and the episodes where they go to America and Africa. With three of the funniest men in the driving seat, you can't help but watch the show as they test drive some of the most inventive, fastest cars in production. With every episode comes a new appreciation of motors, and a hatred for caravans!!

Top Gear is so original, and has become a lot more popular in the recent years as both sexes are tuning in. Although sometimes I have to wonder if some of the stunts are pre-planned, it doesn't matter because it is still great television.

Top Gear is a legendary show with legendary hosts, all of whom could be British Prime Minister :D
  • Top Gear, in the past few years has become more than a car show for petrolheads and fanatics. The popularity of the presenters has skyrocketed. It provides more than just car reviews, it is funny and entertaining and a huge boost for BBC2.

In 2002 when Top Gear was launched, car-related shows and magazines were deemed suitable for only petrol heads and car bore's. But since then, Top Gear has made cars, petrol and power more appealing to audiences everywhere. When you think that it has just branched out globally, you realise where it came from. Previous presenters and formats made car enthusiasts happy, but never really cut the mustard when it came to ordinary people with no devout interest in cars. Since 2002 however, with the increasing popularity of Richard Hammond and James May, Top gear has become the most popular programme on BBC2 with plenty of awards to its name. Features such as the 'Cool Wall', 'Power Laps' and 'Star in a reasonably priced car' have made Top Gear more interesting and lively compared to it's main rival; channel five's Fifth Gear. Richard Hammonds crash in 2006 made people everywhere recognise just how brave and talented this presenter really was. His return to the show in January 2007 pushed viewing figures through the roof, attracting more viewers than Big Brother on its final eviction night. James May has recently become more popular amongst female audiences and is no longer referred to as 'the other bloke' off Top Gear. There is however, a slight problem. Critism suggests that the show has become more about entertainment rather than about cars. Jeremy Clarkson's rather vague and arrogant car reviewing style is unpopular. No clear recommendations or reviews are given on the show anymore. Having watched Fifth Gear, i can say that the channel five show is a lot more car orientated and consumer aimed than its BBC rival. Top Gear as a show, however, remains to be one of the best and most interesting that the BBC has to offer.
1 2 3 4 5