Top Gear

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC Two Premiered Oct 20, 2002 Between Seasons

MattAllenLFC

Top Gear Fan Reviews page 3 of 5

• Top Gear, in the past few years has become more than a car show for petrolheads and fanatics. The popularity of the presenters has skyrocketed. It provides more than just car reviews, it is funny and entertaining and a huge boost for BBC2.

In 2002 when Top Gear was launched, car-related shows and magazines were deemed suitable for only petrol heads and car bore's. But since then, Top Gear has made cars, petrol and power more appealing to audiences everywhere. When you think that it has just branched out globally, you realise where it came from. Previous presenters and formats made car enthusiasts happy, but never really cut the mustard when it came to ordinary people with no devout interest in cars. Since 2002 however, with the increasing popularity of Richard Hammond and James May, Top gear has become the most popular programme on BBC2 with plenty of awards to its name. Features such as the 'Cool Wall', 'Power Laps' and 'Star in a reasonably priced car' have made Top Gear more interesting and lively compared to it's main rival; channel five's Fifth Gear. Richard Hammonds crash in 2006 made people everywhere recognise just how brave and talented this presenter really was. His return to the show in January 2007 pushed viewing figures through the roof, attracting more viewers than Big Brother on its final eviction night. James May has recently become more popular amongst female audiences and is no longer referred to as 'the other bloke' off Top Gear. There is however, a slight problem. Critism suggests that the show has become more about entertainment rather than about cars. Jeremy Clarkson's rather vague and arrogant car reviewing style is unpopular. No clear recommendations or reviews are given on the show anymore. Having watched Fifth Gear, i can say that the channel five show is a lot more car orientated and consumer aimed than its BBC rival. Top Gear as a show, however, remains to be one of the best and most interesting that the BBC has to offer.
  • More than just a car show, Top Gear is essential viewing. Not just for petrol heads, it also has a huge following amongst people with little or no interest in cars. This is due to the show's irreverent approach to motoring and its humour

I love this show. There is no other way of putting it and no use denying it. The chemistry that all the presents have is so magnetic that it makes you feel like they are some of your best friends. And I will tell you something else. Its not an act either. They are also very good friends of camera as well. This is made clear in Richard Hammonds Biography.

There are many detractors that say that they don't review enough affordable priced cars and that they are generally a bad influence to the motoring public. People may say these things but I just respond by reminding them that they must be watching an episode of COPS and not Top Gear.

All I see are three blokes mucking around having a good time like any of us would when all our mates get together. The exception being that we probably won't be hooning around in a Zonda.

But at its essence, its a program that just makes us forget all our worries for an hour and smile in the fact that Top Gear is not a dream but a wonderful reality.

10/10
  • Great Car Show

Top Gear is a show from the UK about cars, they review cars and toy around with them. It has to be one of the most entertaining car shows on tv. Fifth Gear trys to replicate what Top Gear does, but does not come close. If anyone is looking for a good car show to watch this has to be top on your list. They do real reviews and they are very funny too.
    They review some every day vehicles which is good to see what cars are good to buy, but most of the show is high end cars, which is amazing to watch.
  • Well it's pretty much about cars new cars fast cars and testing old cars

This show is hilarious I love the three of them. Their one of the greatest trios I've ever seen in TV. I love their British accent and their humor. I also like cars and everything about them. What I think is that they should tune cars also not only present them. That's why I didn't gave them a perfect ten. What I love are the challenges my personal favorite was the one where they had to buy an Italian super car with only 15000 euro. I also have the suspicion that Hamond is the Sting. Concluding Top Gear is a great show that I recomand to everyone.
  • Top Gear, more than just a car show.

Top Gear is one of these programs that anyone of any age would enjoy, even if they aren't to interested in cars. Over recent series' it has become more of an entertainment show which provides plenty of laughs while still giving information on cars.

The three presenters, James May, Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond all have a wide range of knowledge on cars but all their personalities combined makes up a very funny atmosphere that makes the viewer feel almost as if they are involved with it. Besides testing cars, abusing the bad in a funny way and showing great appreciation to the good their main area of comical moments is their challenges and events. Challenges such as buying a £1000 Super car, doors fall of when driving and all sorts of funny disastrous things that make the challenges an enjoyable watch.

Overall this show is something that hooks you in, you wont want to miss an episode. This is a show well worth a watch and grabs people from ages of 7 to 77. Fantastic TV show.
  • this is the best

Top gear is my favourite tv program and i really enjoy watching it every sunday. Hammond is the best presenter and may is the worst(even though nothing on top gear is bad). this is a show were anything is possible from flying cars to cars that just wont go. Any one who thinks this show is a comjplete waste of time i have a complete mouthful for you: you complete f******* *##$%^%&^*$*&*&*& absolute W@*k**S. appologies for any offence but this tv show is too good to be bad mouthed i mean its funny they break rules speak what every one else is scared to do what i am trying to say is........this is 1 of the best things in tv history
  • Such a great show-classic English Tv at it's best.

Top Gear really cheers me up on a boring Sunday night. I haven't a clue about cars(seriously), yet it still keeps me watching for the weird and wonderful ideas which seem to spring out of know where on each episode. Glad to see that Jeremy Clarkson has being appreciated for his hard work in television for as long as he's been around. It would be real good to see the same done for the other two-especially Richard Hammond who had presented many great shows as well. This show is such a great example of British T.v at it's best.
  • It Great car Show Programme

I Always watch it on bbc2 and its great they have the best cars in the world like ferrari and lambocini and maserati and koindinsegg and buggati the fasest car in the world and they do big races around the world and do lap of the fast cars and its great i always buy the months magazine because its great and the presenters jeremy clarkson and richard hammond (hamster) and james may are ledgends they are funny and they know which cars are good and which ones are just rubbish and its the best car programme in the world topgear its great.
  • Just Wow

One of my personal favorites show! Not only because it's orginal and interesting, it's also because I love cars, and with this show I learned a hell of a new things about them. The presenters, or hosts whatever, are incredibely, one of my favorites, you can see that they have a great passion for cars, and that they are doing their job with lots of pleasure. Particulary, I like Hammond, I know him from Brainiac, his a hell of a guy and a very brave one. And, not to forget, the dearest, James: a very funny man and talented too.. Top Gear brought the whole ''show about car'' thing at a totally different and new level. And that's why it has so much succes. It combines everything, from races to facts, and to things you didn't knew about cars.
    Plus, you get to see the most beautifully cars in the world.
  • This show takes motoring to the next level. It finds innovative and entertaining ways to review automobiles and other subjects in the motoring world. A top notch show that will be a favourite of mine till the day I die!

Before Top Gear was re-formatted it was just like every other motoring show, which is all fine and good but the producers realised that to keep it running and keeping thier viewers coming back for more they would need to do something different. They realised that the public do not necessarily want to know all the obscure details about every car reviewed and that they do not totally understand every motoring term as well. I knew that this series was something different when I heard Jeremy talk about how torque is a myth and that it was created by the motoring industry to confuse the public. This is something that I think defines the show for me. It is a motoring show run by people just like us. They dont care about the arbitrary things, they care about what we care about. Does it look cool, is it fast and is it fun to drive. This lets the audience relate to the presenters in a totally new way and will keep them coming back for more. Mind you one cannot discount the way that they do their challenges. The show finds ways to make motoring fun and by choosing the right presenters who's personalities conflict just enough they set the show up for many hysterical moments that I find always leave me ending the show with a stupid smile on my face. All in all this show is a rare and brilliant infotainment show that will keep me coming back till the day they cancel it or at least till Jeremy Clarkson leaves... Amazing!
  • Seriously, this is the best show on TV. Im not kidding, it really is. Don't like cars? watch it any way. It is impossible not to be entertained by this show.

Top Gear is, by far, the greatest TV show ever. even if you dont like cars, you cant not like Top Gear. Jeremy Clarkson is so completely entetaining and outrageous. James May is the perfect counterpoint to Clarkson's how do i say, brashness, a true english gentleman. Hammster is, well, hes Hammster. For a non british viewer, some of the langauge can be a bit obtuse but it doesnt really matter, it just makes it that much funnier. This motley crew of fellows review cars, embark on fantastical challenges, interview celebrities, and cause mayhem and mischief whenever possible. one key element of Top Gear that cannot go without mention is power lap board, where every sporty car is sent thrahing about on their private test course by the mysterious and completely silent test driver known only as The Stig. As a car nut, i absolutely adore this show. it is like reading Automobile, Car and Driver, Road and Track, and MotorTrend all at once but it be utterly hilarious at the same time.
  • If anybody loves cars, then this is the show for you.

Top Gear is a brillant car show. I only got into this show beacuse of my three brothers, they love the show and so do I. The writes couldnt have picked better presenters, Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson and James May, also Jason Dawe but he was only in series one. Top Gear is better than the boring show Fifth Gear. Top gear has been going for years and its a show you will never forget if you have watched it! For car fans you cant really miss this show, its tell you everything you need to know about cars. The writers never run out of ideas to throw jeremy, james and richard into something dangerous like race across europe or drive to the north pole.
    Me and my brother cant wait until next season.
  • Who is the stig

Top Gear Is the best car show it is much better than the boring show fifth gear.
    Top gear has been going for years and has been one of my favourate shows of all time.For any car fans you cant miss this show its styelish fresh and never dissapoints the writers never run out of ideas to throw jeremy, james and richard into something dangerous like race across europe or drive to the north pole.
    some of the features on the show like star in a reasonable priced car are allways good to watch and the cool wall.
    cant wait until next season.
  • Best. Car. Show. EVER.

Normally, i could care less about cars. In any normal context, cars do not interest me in the slightest and when i see an expensive car drive past i think to myself "What a complete waste of money" considering you can get a car for a fraction of the cost and it will still get you from point A to B. But Top Gear, has seriously, converted me. Not full on into a car nut, but into a semi-quasi knowledgeable 18 year old girl who knows what an Astin Martin is. And the difference between a muscle car and a super car.

But without the three presenters, this show would be nothing. The three men- if you can call them that- make this show exciting, funny and horrifying all at the same time. Jeremy is the grumpy one, James is the slow one and Hammond is the one they all tease and the trio are so great to watch, the dynamics of it all is fantastic. Without their sly, whiny comments about each other and the cars they review, i would probably never watch Top Gear. So in essence, i think i just basically watch it because of the three of them... the cars are kind of, secondary. Just check it out, you can watch an episode over and over again, because the funny moments never ever get stale.
  • Great show

A Brilliant show you simply cant miss. Each series seems to get better and better. The presenters are amazing and they really make the show, it wouldnt work without them and they are the key reason it is such a good show watched by so many. Each year they seem to come up with a more outrageous and even funnier adventure or test. So much better than every other car show out there and funnier than most of the current comedies. They have done some absolute classics and still manage to be (almost) informative and helpful. One of my all time favourites which i try never to miss. A must watch show.
  • Jeremy, Richard and James are “The Three Musketeers” of the motoring world, three petrol heroes telling us ‘how it really is’. Cutting through the promotional literature and advertising campaigns on a quest to let us know how a car truly drives

Jeremy, Richard and James are “The Three Musketeers” of the motoring world, three petrol (and now diesel) heroes telling us ‘how it really is’. Cutting through the promotional literature and advertising campaigns on a quest to let us know how a car truly drives. Throw in the fun of various personal challenges in the form of races or whacky projects and you have a TV series that anyone in their teens or over can enjoy. Perfect? Well no, the show has a couple of annoyances, it sometimes seems to prefer a car’s looks at the cost of everything else, Italian cars seems to trounce most Japanese offerings on looks alone, which is crazy. They no longer drive ‘normal’ cars so Top Gear will never cover a car that most of us are more likely to buy. I know this would be against the Top Gear format, most family cars are the same, but they aren’t when you’re about to spend the better part of fifteen grand plus, they all suddenly seem very different. My suggestion, have a second show, ‘Middle Gear’ or even ‘Low Gear’, different presenters (maybe) but with normal cars being tested. Still, Top Gear – top show.
  • POWER!!!!

This show is fantastic! I love my cars and I love my humour so this show is just perfect for me. Weve got brilliant presenters, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and of course Captain Slow himself, James May. These guys make learning about cars fun, especially for the girls. They don't take themselves too seriously which gives the show even more credibility. They have been critisised for their speeds and even that they mainly review expensive cars. As for me I would rather see a review of a Bentley Continental than a Vauxhall Astra. It makes it more interesting because really, who cares about an Astra!! I recommend everybody watch this show. We are still very lucky to have it on our screens after Richard Hammonds accident in the Jet car. Watch and enjoy!
  • This is what i call the best show on TV

UK GOLD
    UK G2
    BBC

Get more on my Tv
    can not wait for more of this
    Top Gear is 100% better than it's rival Fifth Gear

What more can you ask for from a TV show
    Jokes, Laughter, Fun, Games, Explosions
    Tasks, Hamster, Captain Slow, Clarkson

If you ever need to watch TV before you die, make sure you watch Season 1 Season 9
    Download them
    Watch them again
    Get Sky, and watch them again

Keep up the good work, and can not wait for Season 10
    the cars they review most are not affordable for most of us, but i still love looking and listening to them.

Great Show, My no 1 Show of all time
  • One word, Awesome!

When I first heard about Top Gear, I wasn't the least bit interested. But then my brother watched it, and soon after my parents as well. I was at dinner watching it and some parts were hilarious. And now I love it! I get a lot of insight on different cars now (I had no idea that there could be so many things wrong with a flashy looking car). I never really liked shows where you learnt something useful, but this show is awesome. The hosts are fantastic, love the debates and disagreements they have. It's what makese this show so funny. I'd definitely recomment it.
  • Top Gear is the perfect mix of engines, ego's and mad men fooling about having a row with each other. The best thing i have ever seen.

As Top Gear goes it is a great show for all of the family and can make any petrol head laugh and cry. When it started it was low in the ratings, small and not very long. But with the introduction of the new presenters, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May it's popularity and prime has risen and has captured the nations hearts. Moved to primetime BBC2 and upgraded to an hour long, the show has managed to fit in much more motoring, fun and special ingredients such as trips to America and nearly being killed. The show wouldn't be the same without the grumpy Clarkson, the Hamster Hammond and the long-haired James constantly insulting each other and giving the show the spice everybody loves.
  • The best thing to grace our television sets, now i know why we pay a TV license.

The best show to ever hit the box, funny, serious and informative at the same time.

The BBC really did out do themselves when they starting producing this and chucking it out onto our televison screens on a weekly basis and i love them for it. The award winning combination of Clarkson, Hamster and Captain Slow is what TV is all about.

The shows get funnier and more amusing every week let alone every season, and they really have out done them selves on several occasions, including the trip to America and building a limo as witnissed in season 9.

What makes this show so great is the complete and utter idiotic behviour behind it. Always comming up with new stunts and challenges that just keep getting more and more funny.

Lets not forget the mind boggling cars and funny celebrities they bring into the show, my favorite star in a reasonably priced car without doubt is Jimmy Carr who is one of the funniest men alive and when he met Top gear there were some severe consequenes :):):)

All in all the best show on TV and probably in my opinion will remain the best show EVER on TV
  • A great show about cars with funny presenters

This is the best show on TV. The presenters all very funny and know their stuff about cars. You have Jeremy Clarkson who is funny, very controversial. Richard Hammond who the one they pick one but does come up with some corking comebacks and you have James May the slightly boring but still funny charactor. The best bits about the show is when they do the challenges which they normally mess up. The best episode is where they go to America and insult all the people in Alabama by putting Nascar sucks and Man love rules. They also test some of the best cars in the world like the bugatti veyron.
  • Top Gear is one the most beloved shows in the UK. The wit and humour that the presenters put into the show is most noteworthy. Of course, the cars have some influence on the popularity!

I'll admit this from the start: I'm not a petrolhead. In fact, I know next to nothing on/about cars. After watching this show, I may know a little more although I may not actually understand the parts I do know. Why then, you may ask, I love this show? It's the comedy. What this show does in presenting the humour is far more entertaining than watching a sitcom in the comedy genre. There is a bluntness to the presenters' idiolect that is very influential, informative, educated and downright funny. I would highly recommend this show to anyone who wants an hour long show that isn't dumbed down by television. Thank god for the BBC!

The presenters are:
    Jeremy Clarkson - the godfather of cars(!) Top Gear couldn't possibly have been half as successful without him and his rantings. Richard Hammond - aka Hamster, Brokeback etc... He's very cool in an almost nerdy sort of way (I'm aware of the paradox)
    James May - quite possibly the most boring man in the world. I don't quite like him and his long tedious speeches (especially whenever he presents a car). The Stig!! - He isn't quite a presenter. He doesn't even have an identity. One of the highlights of the show is what music he is listening to while test driving a car. I love this show. It fulfills the ethos of public television very well: It is informative, educative and entertaining. Arguably, one of the only reasons I would even watch BBC2.
  • Top Gear is fantastic

Top Gear is without a doubt one of the funniest programmes on television today.

The features are so funny. I think my favourite one ever has to be the one where they tried to create a convertable out of a people carrier and end up setting the car wash on fire. Although the one where they made a limo out of a regular car was also hilarious.

I just love this because it isn't serious, it is done tongue firmly in cheek and that is why it works so well. I know nothing about cars but the way that it is done, the information about cars is lodged in with some very, very funny moments.

10 out of 10
  • A really touching video, i nearly cried (And no i'm not a wimp)

I have only just finished watching sunday's episode. I loved it so much. I especially loved it when they had to buy the cars and one dealer had a rifle in his shop so he could pick off anyone thats runs away from his shop with something they had stolen. It was also very scary when they had to paint each others car, and when they pulled into the petrol station and the abuse they got from the locals. At the end was touching because of the state New Orleans was in after Hurricane Katrina and when they decided to give their cars away instead of selling them.
  • A show about cars, but is so much more.

While it is primarily a show for gear heads and car fanatics, the show is also very influential and highly controversial.

First off, the cars! And oh how I do love seeing them in action. Very little other shows display cars true potential than Top Gear. The information shared about the vehicles are in-depth, educational while still maintaining an air of entertainment. Especially when they drove the world's fastest and most expensive street legal car, the Bugatti Veyron. WOW!

But as was said above this show is more than just about cars. In weekly episodes they get a celebrity or some sort of political/public figure to actual race a lap around a track. The lap times are then posted and compared to previous racers. While this may seem unspectacular, the show at this point takes on a talk show feel, which believe it or not is a well taken break from the constant gear talk. Plus it is interesting to see how these public figures which we constantly see in the media fare on a race track with a "reasonably priced car".

The show is not without controversy...i won't spoil it for you, but it ranges from speeding on the streets, a jet fighter on the front lawn, scandals involving automotive companies, to a 300mph jet-car crash...plus so much more

All I can say is that if you love cars, comedy, speed and POWER! then you don't want to miss this show...plus there's three english guys hosting it...what else can you ask for
  • For people who's blood type is WD-40

What an amazing show! If TV shows had balls, they would look like this one. It is funny, informative, and everything else you want from a TV show. I really hate it, though, when people accuse them of only featuring expensive cars. TOUGH! it is great that they experiment with supercars. OK, we'll never get to drive them, but i love seein middle aged versions of me carreering around 'chicago' in a Zonda making excited noises of a 8 year old playing with a toy aeroplane!

GENIUS!

Oh, and the whole mystery of the stigg thing, its all just funny stuff.
  • Top Gear is an awesome show on cars

I really like Top Gear because it is hilarious and educational at the same time. You do not need to know anything about cars whatsoever to enjoy this programme! Top Gear not only test drives the latest cars but has challenges with them involving the classic challenges "The Caravan Holiday" and "The Van Test" and "The Apache Incident"! Top Gear also introduces new sports like the legendary "Car Football" and "The Top Gear Winter Olympics"! Every episode, there is a time when a celebrity comes onto the show. This time is called "Star In A Reasonably Priced Car". With a mixture of education, challenges and humor, a perfect show is made.

PS: The Top Gear Dog is class!

:D
  • Expect more shows like this.

This show is essentially 3 guys having fun, and boy is it fun to watch as well! From the challenges to the races this show is easily the most entertaining show about cars that has ever been on tv.

As well as being informative, its incredibly funny and its not without its fair share of drama as well. The race between public transport and car to Switzerland from London is a great example of this.

Not to mention that, this show is for everyone, you do not need to know about cars to like this show, you will be entertained by another factor since this show has so much to offer.
  • The show is like education about cars.

I would say this show gives me thrills every time I watch it. The show goes over most of the world's best cars, such as the ferrari, lambordiani, porshe, and maseratii. The people's sarcasm always make you laugh, and the competition makes you tingle all over with exitement. They also pick the good cars from the bad ones. Like the corvette c6, it's so fast that you can start, stand still, in 5th gear, but the bmw m5, has an annoying gps system, the signal switch sticks, and the gps won't shut up!! In the end the show shows the worlds best cars, good and bad.
1 2 3 4 5