Top Gear

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC Two Premiered Oct 20, 2002 In Season

MattAllenLFC

Top Gear Fan Reviews (127)

• Boring

0.6
    Top Gear is the most mind numbing programme ever to apperar on television. I can't see why anyone wwants to see three middle aged men drive cars around. What is the point of some of the things they do for example the stupidity of trying to drop caravans on a target, then to make it worse BBC allow it to be aired for a complete hour!
  • laid by clarkson, lays another dog egg!

given the downward spiraling of the once watchable top gear that now is just laughable, how do you the makers of this sh@t feel ?

do you care,are you bothered,does it matter as long as it generates money, well it seems that it is being produced by teenagers for prepubescent teenagers much the same way as old channel 4 tv was aimed at the people that fell out of pubs at closing time and wanted to drawl at some cheaply made dross that catered for the lowest . in the land, the lager lout.

i have to hand it to you and really pat yourselves on the back for creating such crap, you are in a league of one and no one could come close to the level at which you have set the bar.

so where does someone start who actually knows about cars?

because i have made and repaired and sold all types of cars in some 28 years now,large small cheap and expensive saloon estate ect,but you lot only care for one type,the wet dream ultra expensive types, is that why there are less and less program's( thankfully )because the uber expensive car manufacturers can only release so many in any one year, or is it that the fat one and the irritating one and the one that should do children's tv cant be arsed to do any more and earn their multi million pound salary's funded by the license payers?.

when you dumped the village idiot off in British Columbia why didn't you take the opportunity to use a Knight xv to rescue him? its built in Ontario (that's in Canada) instead you used north American vehicles, why?

given the fact that the Knight is the biggest 4x4 known, this would have fitted in with the biggest fastest most expensive philosophy you have had for soooo long and could have made it slightly better than it turned out.

And when you 'dis' Peugeot's do have a care for the people who own, buy and repair them, they are not as bad as you portray them to be, and they are french owned, like all of their car manufacturers, a little often overlooked point you fail to acknowledge in the pursuit for cheap smutty laughs and innuendo, who own the flashy cars that the team salivate over? they are not British owned are they, all sold off because they were badly made and even worse after sales in companies that wouldn't modernize and loved to strike.

The episode where the three stooges try and make ambulance vehicles i found rather sick, and again another one of those made for the ret@rded viewer pieces that focuses on cheap smut and no substance or relevant information.

Here's the point, William Woolard used to give informative useful information to the viewer,now Clarkson just drives fast sideways in cars very few people see let alone can afford, do you think at some point this can be reversed and give people who cannot buy these automotive masterpieces a chance to have road tested cars for the every day people?.

Next weeks episode on Top Gear and the next and the next. I drive fast and turn tyres into smoke whilst trying to sound more witty and intelligent than Oscar Wilde,James gets lost and confused over something trivial while his gut struggles to be held back by his corset and Richard tries to look ever younger in the vainest attempt to hold onto his youth, that about sums it up.

The goose that laid the once golden egg.. is now more laid by Clarkson (laid in the same sense as f@cked) and golden egg is more dog egg.

While the gang struggle to find the newest next faster biggest trouser ripping car that has to take them around the globe,may be they could look into the many news cars that dont cost the earth and can be seen in a showroom near to you,just a thought, and heres another one, given their love of fully funded jollies.. next week on Top Gear... I use the 'n' word in Alabama, then i go to Argentina holding a number plate saying 'sorry ?', I then go to China and say there a slope on that bridge, and finish off in france where i crash a 405 into the gates of the Peugeot headquarters, its all in the name of fun isn't it?

try and defend that .

regards.
  • DREADFUL WASTE OF TAX PAYERS MONIES ON 3 CLOWNS wrecking good cars

UNBELIEVABLE rubbish from 3 IDIOTS who just ruin good cars the program seems to have lost its focus and path when it first started these guys are over paid and not funny anymore and just winds me up to the point of me wanting to turn off to another channel much does it cost per show with all its back up team and fancy camera shots and countries and the cars they must wreck then theres the people they insult..
  • Changed my favourite show to 'Fifth Gear' on turbo

I loved the 'Top Gear' when the show started, it showed good reviews about cars. But nowadays its Reviews about the guys driving it and too the same old guys. Nothing about the car. No testing. No speeding. No mpg. Nothing about the interior. No nothing, a lot of clever video editing. I dont want to read the 'Top Gear' mag. I hate looking at Photos and read about it. Please do a good Tv episode with car reviews. Till then I hate Top Gear Shows. Watch Fifth Gear on Dis Turbo.
  • email BS crap

2.5
    I get an email today telling me about season 22 ep 3 but when I open the link it has no info about episode 3. WTF some eager *** set that up I guess
  • I just don't get what all the buzz is about.

4.1
    Okay, I understand that this series has a huge following outside of the USA and because of that I tried to watch it, while it was on its brief time while it was on the Discovery Channel in the US, to see what it was all about. I have to said is that I wasn't to impressed by what I saw here. So I just don't understand what all of the buzz is about and I don't think it has to be the fact that I am female. I think it was the fact that I think I grew up on the PBS series, Motorweek back in 1980s that might of tinted my feelings about it.

I thought that might because of Discovery's handing of it, because I know that USA and UK network have a different way they handed the commerical breaks and the to many commerical breaks might of destroyed the timing of the episodes, which is sometimes a key to the humor, that this series is reported to have. So once again I tried to watch it again on the BBC America, which I think is a better choice for this series, but once again I found myself with a bitter taste in my mouth about the series.

Again, I got nothing wrong with the fans of the series, because everybody is different and is emtitled to their own feelings, but this isn't my cup of tea.
  • That's it?

Only six episodes and the season is over? Where are the special exotic journeys and the races with Jeremy in car vs. May and Hammond in whatever? Just watching the guys test supercars and wrecking mobile homes is ok fun, and the hoover car episode was ok, but we expect more now. We should be entitled to at least one epic journey episode or two per season!
  • Season with 6 episodes??!!

Top Gear is getting Lazy! A season with only 6 episodes? Is there really nothing happening in the Car world... or are they trying to let the show slowly die?
  • Funny car show

Top Gear Is the best car show it is much better than the boring show fifth gear.
    Top gear has been going for years and has been one of my favourate shows of all time.For any car fans you cant miss this show its styelish fresh and never dissapoints the writers never run out of ideas to throw jeremy, james and richard into something dangerous like race across europe or drive to the north pole.
    some of the features on the show like star in a reasonable priced car are allways good to watch and the cool wall.
    cant wait until next season.
  • very enjoyable

7.4
    this show is basically and always will be a classic. wat more can u ask for in a program than fast cars,gr8 presentors and cool guests. if u like cars,presentors and guests this is the program to watch. im happy to hear that they put it back on bbc again.
  • This is a show about cars but the show appeals to both sexes and all ages.

At first I thought that this show was for middle aged men, who liked cars, but after watching it I quickly changed my mind. The 3 presenters, Jermemy Clarkson, Richard Hammond (Hamster lol) and James May. They make the show, they bounce off each other. Theres lots of banter and laughter. The long bits about cars that nobody can afford are sometimes tedious. My favourite part of the show is probably the news bit where they talk about cars to begin with and end up going completely off the subject. I also really like the "star in a reasonably priced car". This is where they allow a celberity to do a lap of their track in a reasonably priced car (hence the title), where they aim to be at the top of the leaderboard. There is also "The Stig" who is the professional race car driver, (who is also masked), and he teachers the celbs how to go round the track and tests new cars round the track.
  • Fun for everyone

I know nothing about cars, I have no sense of judgement at all, to me a car is a car is a car but that matters not with Top Gear. Not only am I finding out about cars but I would watch anything presented by these 3 presenters since they bond as a team so well to make the show infinitely watchable even to those clueless about cars. They also make things as light hearted as possible so people don't find themselves all confused about what they're on about. And of course there is the legendary stig, a celebrity in his own right, whoever he is. The presenters can sometimes be a disaster waiting to happen which is slightly suspicious as some may be staged but that doesn't matter, no one does car related fun like them and this show. Essential Sunday night viewing.
  • This is a show about cars with a twist!!!!!!

The main part of the show is reviewing cars from the ones non off can afford and only dream of ever owning to the cars which we can afford. they review the cars and give there oppinion and advice. from the name you would think it just involved the test driving of cars but its not!!! they as in the co hosts are sooooo funny and brillant charactors who are also friends and take the hand out of eachother!!! the guys set each other tasks which are so unbeliveable and stupid you laugh from begining to end!!! like the time the crossed the english channel in carboats which the designed from old bangers!! r wen they were in South Afracia. then theres the star of the show stig an unbeliveable driver who dosent speak n wears jst his jumpsuit n helmet so no one knows what he looks like but is one hell of a driver!!!!!! hes the one who takes the super cars out on the track and tests the **** out of them!!!!!! the even have celebrites who try out reasonably priced cars to get the fastest time and theres the cool wall with jermay and hammond figting over wat goes were!!!!!!!! this is a must see programme even if you dont knw that much about cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Cannot be reproduced

There have been many recreations of Top Gear and of the ones Ive seen, nothing even comes close to the original. I don't know why anyone even bothers. One of the main things going for this show is the chemistry among the three presenters and their attempts at these challenges. Without their wit, humor, and familiarity with each other, there's really no point in making a replica.
  • funny as

fcuk. I love the banter, the way the cars are reviewed and the challenges they have. Would like to see stars that iv heard of sometmes, but i can cope with that. Tho, if they are reading this i would love to see Anthony Keidis on there. Jezza n James make me laugh so much - especially when they argue. And more than anything I would love to be an average Jo Bloggs in anaveragelypriced car round that track

• Wonderful for both car savoy and non car individuals alike...this show is one on the reasons I never change from BBCA.

I honestly know NOTHING about cars, so the fact this is one of my top shows to watch says A LOT! But when watching I feel a bit smarter about cars when with friends, girls mostly, than I really am...and looking at James May for an hour DOES NOT hurt. But seriously, it is a wonderful show and the info they give out is interesting,if nothing else the comedy, looking at cars going about a track. I want to learn stick now! As well I'm developing a liking for cars, fast ones at least. This show has changed my life in so many ways.
  • Good

watched this show loads of times, love it, talks about cars that everyone would love one day and some cars which are use full to everyone, i love the tasks they do in the shows tho, which make it more comic and more enjoyable to watch, you got to love the Stig in this as he is pro, dont know who it is but love to find out who he is tho, he has to be a racing driver of some sort, allso love the Top gear as it takes the mick out of things, overall love the show, not seen as many new ones as i would like to tho....
  • Top Gear is a car show that showcases the latest cars but also is funny at the same time.

Car lover or not, this show is just plain funny. Top Gear features car reviews, challenges, The Stig, Star In A Responally Priced Car and The Cool Wall . It's three hosts represent 3 different generations. Jeremy Clarkson- the oldest one and represents the baby boomers.

James May- the middle one and represents middle-aged people and

Richard Hammond- the young one (and the small one) represents todays generations.

What makes Top Gear so funny is how it is always Hammond and Clarkson, in the challenges who often end up in trouble whilst James likes to take it easy and is the only who thinks practical not like his fellow co-hosts.
  • A show in which 3 presenters (Richard,Jeremy and James) review and compete with cars.They test the latest most talked about cars and have competitions in a number of races involving cheap cars etc.to see which is best.

I personally love cars which is probably why I enjoy this show so much but I really think this show is open to all viewers because of it's original humour,witty presenters and overall brilliant entertainment.I find this is much more than a review show and provides you a detailed look at how the hype and actual driving and control of the cars differ.I love the challenges because they give them an unusal goal to achieve eg;cheapest car they can find and see how their different choices compete with each other.I like the way there's a celebrity guest sometimes on the show because it makes it more interesting and although the presenters are incredibly entertaining it provides some offbeat comedy and a chance to see a talk-show atmosphere to the show.I find the most attention-grabbing aspect of this show the presenters who are always brilliantly funny and competitive against each other in the challenges which as we all know is entertainment at it's best.
  • Some genius Top Gear moments!

I love Top Gear and today discovered that BBC Worldwide have got a really cool Myspace page that has got clips from loads of their shows all the Attenborough stuff etc they have a whole top gear sections which is just brilliant.

Short but defiantly punchy clips of the best moments are hilarious

There has been loads of talk about if there is too much larking about and not enough serious car talk but I think Top Gear is great the way it is, looking back at these clips i love it when they jump the old volvo over a whole row of caravans....classic actually there are loads of great clips- which is your fav???

www.myspace.com/bbcworldwide incase you want to check them out!
  • Well it's pretty much about cars new cars fast cars and testing old cars

This show is hilarious I love the three of them. Their one of the greatest trios I've ever seen in TV. I love their British accent and their humor. I also like cars and everything about them. What I think is that they should tune cars also not only present them. That's why I didn't gave them a perfect ten. What I love are the challenges my personal favorite was the one where they had to buy an Italian super car with only 15000 euro. I also have the suspicion that Hamond is the Sting. Concluding Top Gear is a great show that I recomand to everyone.
  • Jeremy, Richard and James are “The Three Musketeers” of the motoring world, three petrol heroes telling us ‘how it really is’. Cutting through the promotional literature and advertising campaigns on a quest to let us know how a car truly drives

Jeremy, Richard and James are “The Three Musketeers” of the motoring world, three petrol (and now diesel) heroes telling us ‘how it really is’. Cutting through the promotional literature and advertising campaigns on a quest to let us know how a car truly drives. Throw in the fun of various personal challenges in the form of races or whacky projects and you have a TV series that anyone in their teens or over can enjoy. Perfect? Well no, the show has a couple of annoyances, it sometimes seems to prefer a car’s looks at the cost of everything else, Italian cars seems to trounce most Japanese offerings on looks alone, which is crazy. They no longer drive ‘normal’ cars so Top Gear will never cover a car that most of us are more likely to buy. I know this would be against the Top Gear format, most family cars are the same, but they aren’t when you’re about to spend the better part of fifteen grand plus, they all suddenly seem very different. My suggestion, have a second show, ‘Middle Gear’ or even ‘Low Gear’, different presenters (maybe) but with normal cars being tested. Still, Top Gear – top show.
  • i just chose that classigication because it seams to fit the whole car theme :D. I think it's absolutely brilliant, and i love the way it's being presented. At times it's actually the funniest show on tv...

I think it's absolutely brilliant, and i love the way it's being presented. At times it's actually the funniest show on tv. I especially like the episode where they took the range rover and put it up against a challenger II tank.

They are great, funny, and all that. But one thing has to be mentioned, you really do have to love cars, or at least this kind of humour* (brittish eh?), to appreciate this show. To be honest i mostly watch it for the humour, because even though i think some of the cars are really cool (bugatti veyron #1), i am not really car nerd as such.

But that's no problem, because the humour makes it great, no matter what's on.

Watch it, you will be addicted.
  • Entertaining and informational!

The show is entertaining and informational for auto buffs! I started watching the show when it was brought to the Discovery Channel and became an immediate fan. Thru a friend I discovered the the show was heavily chopped up for the U.S. market after seeing he original BBC 2 version.
  • If you're into cars that can turn then this is the place for you.

I really enjoy the fun things they do like shoot crappy cars with an air cannon to hit a bullseye 150 feet off a cliff. I love the idea of using a driver to benchtest the cars on thier track and allow me to come up with some kind of value/dollar (pound). I am a bit of a porshcephile so it is nice to see the comparisons.
  • Fun show, featuring amazing cars with some humor added to it makes TopGear a great show to watch.

This show is great, I love the way they put the episodes together. They give a fresh and honest look to all the cars of the world. The best thing is that they are honest and don't take part in playing favorites to any manufacturers, they call it like they see it (or drive it. if a car is crap they will tell it is crap. If a car is good they will almost orgasm all over it.
    The show is also very funny with some great jibes between the hosts. I love to see the "STIG" take on an exotic on the test track, also the celebrities driving a cheap crappy car around the track is great.
  • This show is basically a car show, and that's all there is to it...right? Well no, these guys talk about news relating to cars, tyres, gas, engines, legislation about cars, and sometimes irrelevant banter. But that's all part of what makes it great. The

I've been watching this show for a year now, but thanks to the magic of reruns I've seen nearly every episode. And I have to say, apart from that fatal mistake named Jason in the first season...absolutely awesome! These guys get all the newest and coolest cars, and take them to their track, and occasionally put them through some ridiculous and hilarious challenges. Some examples are Whats more cost efficient, a Nissan Micro, or a private Boeing Jet? You see what I mean. This show is as much about cars as it is about the interaction of three hilarious journalists. The important thing about this show however, and what sets it apart from most other shows, is that whenever they review a car, they always do it independently. And by that I mean, they don't just go somewhere, get schmoozed by car execs, and give it a good review. They review it on their own private track outside of their studio, and for most of the cars, they review it in England, or Wales when they want. Occasionally they go to the Isle Of Man...because, as every avid car nut will know, there are no speed limits there!

Another reason to watch the show, however not the primary reason, is the Star In A Reasonably priced feature that they have on every show. They get a celebrity, typically a british one, and put them in 10k pound Suzuki Liana and see how fast they can go 'round the track. This is amusing, definitely worth watching, even if you have no idea who James Nesbitt, Sanjiv Baskaar, Martin Klunes, or Alan Partridge are. Clarkson's witty comments to audience are also an occasional hoot, especially when he throws someone out of the studio for having a stupid opinion ;)

Watch this show...you know you want to
  • Entertaining and informative - this show may not have high technical content, but it is a highly entertaining hour of television.

Other shows may have more content or are better geared towards the more technically inclined, however, Top Gear has a great mix of humor, wit and informaton that is sorely lacking from all other motoring shows.

The presenters (Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May) have great chemistry together, each providng a unique viewpoint on the automotive industry. They clash playfully with great comedic result that makes you come back week after week.

Highly recommended.
  • Who is the stig

cant wait until next season.
  • Expect more shows like this.

This show is essentially 3 guys having fun, and boy is it fun to watch as well! From the challenges to the races this show is easily the most entertaining show about cars that has ever been on tv.

As well as being informative, its incredibly funny and its not without its fair share of drama as well. The race between public transport and car to Switzerland from London is a great example of this.

Not to mention that, this show is for everyone, you do not need to know about cars to like this show, you will be entertained by another factor since this show has so much to offer.
< 1 2 3 4 5