Top Gear

Sunday 8:00 PM on BBC Two Premiered Oct 20, 2002 Between Seasons

MattAllenLFC

Top Gear Fan Reviews (122)

• Boring

0.6
    Top Gear is the most mind numbing programme ever to apperar on television. I can't see why anyone wwants to see three middle aged men drive cars around. What is the point of some of the things they do for example the stupidity of trying to drop caravans on a target, then to make it worse BBC allow it to be aired for a complete hour!
  • I just don't get what all the buzz is about.

4.1
    Okay, I understand that this series has a huge following outside of the USA and because of that I tried to watch it, while it was on its brief time while it was on the Discovery Channel in the US, to see what it was all about. I have to said is that I wasn't to impressed by what I saw here. So I just don't understand what all of the buzz is about and I don't think it has to be the fact that I am female. I think it was the fact that I think I grew up on the PBS series, Motorweek back in 1980s that might of tinted my feelings about it.

I thought that might because of Discovery's handing of it, because I know that USA and UK network have a different way they handed the commerical breaks and the to many commerical breaks might of destroyed the timing of the episodes, which is sometimes a key to the humor, that this series is reported to have. So once again I tried to watch it again on the BBC America, which I think is a better choice for this series, but once again I found myself with a bitter taste in my mouth about the series.

Again, I got nothing wrong with the fans of the series, because everybody is different and is emtitled to their own feelings, but this isn't my cup of tea.
  • Changed my favourite show to 'Fifth Gear' on turbo

I loved the 'Top Gear' when the show started, it showed good reviews about cars. But nowadays its Reviews about the guys driving it and too the same old guys. Nothing about the car. No testing. No speeding. No mpg. Nothing about the interior. No nothing, a lot of clever video editing. I dont want to read the 'Top Gear' mag. I hate looking at Photos and read about it. Please do a good Tv episode with car reviews. Till then I hate Top Gear Shows. Watch Fifth Gear on Dis Turbo.
  • Jeremy, Richard and James are “The Three Musketeers” of the motoring world, three petrol heroes telling us ‘how it really is’. Cutting through the promotional literature and advertising campaigns on a quest to let us know how a car truly drives

Jeremy, Richard and James are “The Three Musketeers” of the motoring world, three petrol (and now diesel) heroes telling us ‘how it really is’. Cutting through the promotional literature and advertising campaigns on a quest to let us know how a car truly drives. Throw in the fun of various personal challenges in the form of races or whacky projects and you have a TV series that anyone in their teens or over can enjoy. Perfect? Well no, the show has a couple of annoyances, it sometimes seems to prefer a car’s looks at the cost of everything else, Italian cars seems to trounce most Japanese offerings on looks alone, which is crazy. They no longer drive ‘normal’ cars so Top Gear will never cover a car that most of us are more likely to buy. I know this would be against the Top Gear format, most family cars are the same, but they aren’t when you’re about to spend the better part of fifteen grand plus, they all suddenly seem very different. My suggestion, have a second show, ‘Middle Gear’ or even ‘Low Gear’, different presenters (maybe) but with normal cars being tested. Still, Top Gear – top show.
  • Unique.

Do not a miss the opportunity to watch the best show of its kind. Just watch it. Even if you hate cars, It doesn't matter. You will have a hard time finding a more entertaining show. Enough said.

_ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ _
  • A show about cars, featuring presentors Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond

Absolutely brilliant! I don\'t know what I would do without this show! Even if my friends don\'t think I should be watching it because I\'m a girl. My only complain is that annoying little man Richard Hammond, emphasis on da little! I can\'t wait for the new series to start. For now I\'ll just look forward to the Top Gear Specials.
  • An Exellent Show, if only James May was less boring!

Top Gear is the best of the few motoring shows on TV. The cars are fantastic as are the presenter challenges, celebrity laps and moments such as caravan destroyal which occurs often!
    the presenters are brilliant, except James May who is one of the most boring people ever and mimics the other two. "The Stig" provides excellent laps and the quality of road testing is superb.
  • very enjoyable

7.4
    this show is basically and always will be a classic. wat more can u ask for in a program than fast cars,gr8 presentors and cool guests. if u like cars,presentors and guests this is the program to watch. im happy to hear that they put it back on bbc again.
  • I think Top Gear is a superb programme.

When Top Gear came back in 2002, I was so looking forward to the new series. Already, I know Jeremy Clarkson is a great presenter with plenty of courage and brilliant jokes, I met him at Alton Towers with his children! Top Gear is a superb programme with some beautiful cars on and I think it should have a brilliant rating!

philip wolstencroft
  • The best car show ever produced!

Top Gear, a great show that is on since 2001/2002, for 16 seasons now is one of the greatest shows the UK ever produced, in my eyes.

Simply because first: I really love cars and at specially fast and expensive ones.

Then there is the way how they present it, it's just awesome, funny and always informational, even if they bring it on a very strange way.

Also, with the specials, you kinda see places you never see a film crew before, so, you get to see new places, which is awesome:) Certainly Bolivia was my favorite till now, awesome sunset! Also, the road in Bulgaria, was really awesome to see.

Since the beginning, at least, since it aired in the Netherlands, I am watching it, with all the pleasure there is, even the episodes that I've already watched 20 times, still see me watching, just because, it's fun! And sometimes I even miss 1 once in a lifetime movie for it, just so I can watch this show.

Then there are the actors, Jeremy made a simply awesome documentary, Richard followings him and made an even better one. May is the only one I still not yet have seen:O But that is OK.

My favorite though is the Stig. Last week he drove like he was the best rally driver ever and that was just AMAZING.

So, with this dramatic English I gonna end!

AWESOME SHOW!
  • Season with 6 episodes??!!

Top Gear is getting Lazy! A season with only 6 episodes? Is there really nothing happening in the Car world... or are they trying to let the show slowly die?
  • Funny car show

Top Gear Is the best car show it is much better than the boring show fifth gear.
    Top gear has been going for years and has been one of my favourate shows of all time.For any car fans you cant miss this show its styelish fresh and never dissapoints the writers never run out of ideas to throw jeremy, james and richard into something dangerous like race across europe or drive to the north pole.
    some of the features on the show like star in a reasonable priced car are allways good to watch and the cool wall.
    cant wait until next season.
  • This is a show about cars but the show appeals to both sexes and all ages.

At first I thought that this show was for middle aged men, who liked cars, but after watching it I quickly changed my mind. The 3 presenters, Jermemy Clarkson, Richard Hammond (Hamster lol) and James May. They make the show, they bounce off each other. Theres lots of banter and laughter. The long bits about cars that nobody can afford are sometimes tedious. My favourite part of the show is probably the news bit where they talk about cars to begin with and end up going completely off the subject. I also really like the "star in a reasonably priced car". This is where they allow a celberity to do a lap of their track in a reasonably priced car (hence the title), where they aim to be at the top of the leaderboard. There is also "The Stig" who is the professional race car driver, (who is also masked), and he teachers the celbs how to go round the track and tests new cars round the track.
  • Fun for everyone

I know nothing about cars, I have no sense of judgement at all, to me a car is a car is a car but that matters not with Top Gear. Not only am I finding out about cars but I would watch anything presented by these 3 presenters since they bond as a team so well to make the show infinitely watchable even to those clueless about cars. They also make things as light hearted as possible so people don't find themselves all confused about what they're on about. And of course there is the legendary stig, a celebrity in his own right, whoever he is. The presenters can sometimes be a disaster waiting to happen which is slightly suspicious as some may be staged but that doesn't matter, no one does car related fun like them and this show. Essential Sunday night viewing.
  • This is a show about cars with a twist!!!!!!

The main part of the show is reviewing cars from the ones non off can afford and only dream of ever owning to the cars which we can afford. they review the cars and give there oppinion and advice. from the name you would think it just involved the test driving of cars but its not!!! they as in the co hosts are sooooo funny and brillant charactors who are also friends and take the hand out of eachother!!! the guys set each other tasks which are so unbeliveable and stupid you laugh from begining to end!!! like the time the crossed the english channel in carboats which the designed from old bangers!! r wen they were in South Afracia. then theres the star of the show stig an unbeliveable driver who dosent speak n wears jst his jumpsuit n helmet so no one knows what he looks like but is one hell of a driver!!!!!! hes the one who takes the super cars out on the track and tests the **** out of them!!!!!! the even have celebrites who try out reasonably priced cars to get the fastest time and theres the cool wall with jermay and hammond figting over wat goes were!!!!!!!! this is a must see programme even if you dont knw that much about cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Wonderful for both car savoy and non car individuals alike...this show is one on the reasons I never change from BBCA.

I honestly know NOTHING about cars, so the fact this is one of my top shows to watch says A LOT! But when watching I feel a bit smarter about cars when with friends, girls mostly, than I really am...and looking at James May for an hour DOES NOT hurt. But seriously, it is a wonderful show and the info they give out is interesting,if nothing else the comedy, looking at cars going about a track. I want to learn stick now! As well I'm developing a liking for cars, fast ones at least. This show has changed my life in so many ways.
  • A show in which 3 presenters (Richard,Jeremy and James) review and compete with cars.They test the latest most talked about cars and have competitions in a number of races involving cheap cars etc.to see which is best.

I personally love cars which is probably why I enjoy this show so much but I really think this show is open to all viewers because of it's original humour,witty presenters and overall brilliant entertainment.I find this is much more than a review show and provides you a detailed look at how the hype and actual driving and control of the cars differ.I love the challenges because they give them an unusal goal to achieve eg;cheapest car they can find and see how their different choices compete with each other.I like the way there's a celebrity guest sometimes on the show because it makes it more interesting and although the presenters are incredibly entertaining it provides some offbeat comedy and a chance to see a talk-show atmosphere to the show.I find the most attention-grabbing aspect of this show the presenters who are always brilliantly funny and competitive against each other in the challenges which as we all know is entertainment at it's best.
  • Some genius Top Gear moments!

I love Top Gear and today discovered that BBC Worldwide have got a really cool Myspace page that has got clips from loads of their shows all the Attenborough stuff etc they have a whole top gear sections which is just brilliant.

Short but defiantly punchy clips of the best moments are hilarious

There has been loads of talk about if there is too much larking about and not enough serious car talk but I think Top Gear is great the way it is, looking back at these clips i love it when they jump the old volvo over a whole row of caravans....classic actually there are loads of great clips- which is your fav???

www.myspace.com/bbcworldwide incase you want to check them out!
  • Well it's pretty much about cars new cars fast cars and testing old cars

This show is hilarious I love the three of them. Their one of the greatest trios I've ever seen in TV. I love their British accent and their humor. I also like cars and everything about them. What I think is that they should tune cars also not only present them. That's why I didn't gave them a perfect ten. What I love are the challenges my personal favorite was the one where they had to buy an Italian super car with only 15000 euro. I also have the suspicion that Hamond is the Sting. Concluding Top Gear is a great show that I recomand to everyone.
  • i just chose that classigication because it seams to fit the whole car theme :D. I think it's absolutely brilliant, and i love the way it's being presented. At times it's actually the funniest show on tv...

I think it's absolutely brilliant, and i love the way it's being presented. At times it's actually the funniest show on tv. I especially like the episode where they took the range rover and put it up against a challenger II tank.

They are great, funny, and all that. But one thing has to be mentioned, you really do have to love cars, or at least this kind of humour* (brittish eh?), to appreciate this show. To be honest i mostly watch it for the humour, because even though i think some of the cars are really cool (bugatti veyron #1), i am not really car nerd as such.

But that's no problem, because the humour makes it great, no matter what's on.

Watch it, you will be addicted.
  • Entertaining and informational!

The show is entertaining and informational for auto buffs! I started watching the show when it was brought to the Discovery Channel and became an immediate fan. Thru a friend I discovered the the show was heavily chopped up for the U.S. market after seeing he original BBC 2 version.
  • If you're into cars that can turn then this is the place for you.

I really enjoy the fun things they do like shoot crappy cars with an air cannon to hit a bullseye 150 feet off a cliff. I love the idea of using a driver to benchtest the cars on thier track and allow me to come up with some kind of value/dollar (pound). I am a bit of a porshcephile so it is nice to see the comparisons.
  • Fun show, featuring amazing cars with some humor added to it makes TopGear a great show to watch.

This show is great, I love the way they put the episodes together. They give a fresh and honest look to all the cars of the world. The best thing is that they are honest and don't take part in playing favorites to any manufacturers, they call it like they see it (or drive it. if a car is crap they will tell it is crap. If a car is good they will almost orgasm all over it.
    The show is also very funny with some great jibes between the hosts. I love to see the "STIG" take on an exotic on the test track, also the celebrities driving a cheap crappy car around the track is great.
  • This show is basically a car show, and that's all there is to it...right? Well no, these guys talk about news relating to cars, tyres, gas, engines, legislation about cars, and sometimes irrelevant banter. But that's all part of what makes it great. The

I've been watching this show for a year now, but thanks to the magic of reruns I've seen nearly every episode. And I have to say, apart from that fatal mistake named Jason in the first season...absolutely awesome! These guys get all the newest and coolest cars, and take them to their track, and occasionally put them through some ridiculous and hilarious challenges. Some examples are Whats more cost efficient, a Nissan Micro, or a private Boeing Jet? You see what I mean. This show is as much about cars as it is about the interaction of three hilarious journalists. The important thing about this show however, and what sets it apart from most other shows, is that whenever they review a car, they always do it independently. And by that I mean, they don't just go somewhere, get schmoozed by car execs, and give it a good review. They review it on their own private track outside of their studio, and for most of the cars, they review it in England, or Wales when they want. Occasionally they go to the Isle Of Man...because, as every avid car nut will know, there are no speed limits there!

Another reason to watch the show, however not the primary reason, is the Star In A Reasonably priced feature that they have on every show. They get a celebrity, typically a british one, and put them in 10k pound Suzuki Liana and see how fast they can go 'round the track. This is amusing, definitely worth watching, even if you have no idea who James Nesbitt, Sanjiv Baskaar, Martin Klunes, or Alan Partridge are. Clarkson's witty comments to audience are also an occasional hoot, especially when he throws someone out of the studio for having a stupid opinion ;)

Watch this show...you know you want to
  • Who is the stig

cant wait until next season.
  • Expect more shows like this.

This show is essentially 3 guys having fun, and boy is it fun to watch as well! From the challenges to the races this show is easily the most entertaining show about cars that has ever been on tv.

As well as being informative, its incredibly funny and its not without its fair share of drama as well. The race between public transport and car to Switzerland from London is a great example of this.

Not to mention that, this show is for everyone, you do not need to know about cars to like this show, you will be entertained by another factor since this show has so much to offer.
  • Top Gear, in the past few years has become more than a car show for petrolheads and fanatics. The popularity of the presenters has skyrocketed. It provides more than just car reviews, it is funny and entertaining and a huge boost for BBC2.

In 2002 when Top Gear was launched, car-related shows and magazines were deemed suitable for only petrol heads and car bore's. But since then, Top Gear has made cars, petrol and power more appealing to audiences everywhere. When you think that it has just branched out globally, you realise where it came from. Previous presenters and formats made car enthusiasts happy, but never really cut the mustard when it came to ordinary people with no devout interest in cars. Since 2002 however, with the increasing popularity of Richard Hammond and James May, Top gear has become the most popular programme on BBC2 with plenty of awards to its name. Features such as the 'Cool Wall', 'Power Laps' and 'Star in a reasonably priced car' have made Top Gear more interesting and lively compared to it's main rival; channel five's Fifth Gear. Richard Hammonds crash in 2006 made people everywhere recognise just how brave and talented this presenter really was. His return to the show in January 2007 pushed viewing figures through the roof, attracting more viewers than Big Brother on its final eviction night. James May has recently become more popular amongst female audiences and is no longer referred to as 'the other bloke' off Top Gear. There is however, a slight problem. Critism suggests that the show has become more about entertainment rather than about cars. Jeremy Clarkson's rather vague and arrogant car reviewing style is unpopular. No clear recommendations or reviews are given on the show anymore. Having watched Fifth Gear, i can say that the channel five show is a lot more car orientated and consumer aimed than its BBC rival. Top Gear as a show, however, remains to be one of the best and most interesting that the BBC has to offer.
  • A humourous and informative guide to the world of cars.

Why the average review of this show is 5 still boggles my mind. This has got to be one of the most entertaining and informative car-related shows out there. Sure they have a penchant for dissing economic and "boring" estates, but come on: do you really want to come home after a hard day's work just to see some minivan being taken for a test drive? Isn't it enough that you go through its drudgery in your everyday life? Clarkson has a unique way of presenting any product, be it cars or inventions that changed the world. His enthusiasm can only be matched by his sheer disregard for what people may think about him or his opinions.
  • Easily the best motoring programme on television.

As I said in the summary this is easily the best car and motoring programme on tv at the moment. And its easy to see why , They don't talk about all the boring stuff like the new ford focus and cut to the chase. They talk about supercars like Ferrari F50 and Pagani Zonda rather than vauxhall vectras and ford mondeos. And they don't stick to the rulebook. They,like us, the people,hate speed cameras and red lights and wish that they could smash them with a baseball bat. The presenters Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May are always arguing and speeding along in their cars which gives the show such great chemistry. Overall 9.4 out of 10.
  • This is great! It's a car show, but it's also so humorous.

This is a really great show! I love watching it every Sunday evening on BBC 2 at eight. It's not only a car show, it's also funny, and it has great guests like Simon Cowell, Christopher Eccleston, Jimmy Carr, Jordan, and new ones every week! They also do challenges, like once when Jeremery, in a car, raced James & Richard in a ferry. (and won!). It's presented by Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hammond, who you might remember from brainiac: science abuse. This show is just great, humorous, intresting, and did i mention great? This show rules! Full stop.
< 1 2 3 4 5