Top of the Pops (UK) Forums

BBC (Holiday Event 1964)

Top of the Pops Axed

GuidesAndThat

[1]Jun 20, 2006
    • level: 50

On Tuesday 20th  June 2006, Jana Bennett, BBC Director of Television, announced that after 42 years, Top of the Pops would finally end on Sunday 30th July 2006 with it's 2204th edition. The decision has been made due to it's decreasing amount of viewers, its inability to compete with other modern music outlets and the dwindling popularity of the singles chart.

Top of the Pops will apparently live on in the form of its archive sister show Top of the Pops 2 which may have the odd new performance included. Also a decision has yet to be made on the future of its C:BBC spin-off Top of the Pops: Reloaded.

Please feel free to discuss here your memories of Top of the Pops and your opinion on its demise.

Edited on 07/12/2006 1:19pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Johnnybouy

[2]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 7
    It's such a bad decision to axe it. The relaunch and move to BBC2 only added to its inevitble demise.

The relaunch should have scrapped Top Of The Pops Reloaded, moved the Friday night half hour edition, to Saturday mornings. Making the Saturday show the main (and only) version.

It's cobblers to say that they can't cope in the face of 24 hour music stations. For those stations, you have to pay to select your video and they are wall to wall videos. TOTP has presenters and a spark. Also, if music TV is dead, why have channel 4 re-launched Popworld and launched two NEW music shows - The Album Chart Show and that T-Mobile mobile. Not to mention that T4 always have musical guests/concerts.

I don't think TOTP:Reloaded will come back as CBBC are now aiming squarley at the 8-12 year old market.

Stupid BBC.

boildacabbage

[3]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 14

Johnnybouy wrote:
    It's such a bad decision to axe it. The relaunch and move to BBC2 only added to its inevitble demise. The relaunch should have scrapped Top Of The Pops Reloaded, moved the Friday night half hour edition, to Saturday mornings. Making the Saturday show the main (and only) version. It's cobblers to say that they can't cope in the face of 24 hour music stations. For those stations, you have to pay to select your video and they are wall to wall videos. TOTP has presenters and a spark. Also, if music TV is dead, why have channel 4 re-launched Popworld and launched two NEW music shows - The Album Chart Show and that T-Mobile mobile. Not to mention that T4 always have musical guests/concerts. I don't think TOTP:Reloaded will come back as CBBC are now aiming squarley at the 8-12 year old market. Stupid BBC.

I agree!!

Johnnybouy

[4]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 7
    And what to do we get to celebrate the end of 42 years?

An hour long show and a re-hash of a documentary first aired in 2000. Pah!

The BBC should have showed classic shows at 18:00 (instead of Eggheads) and made 31.07.06 on BBC - TOTP Night, had a night of themed programmes, documentaries and said goodbye in style.

I guess I'm just pissed cause I don't feel the BBC ever wanted to keep it once it went to BBC2. They have used it's full potential in recent years.

Gnash.

GuidesAndThat

[5]Jul 27, 2006
    • level: 50
    I have to agree with you, I was expecting exactly the same. 'Top of the Pops night on BBC TWO' had a great ring to it.

What we're actually getting does not sum up the importance of the show on a whole (42 years worth).

The only comfort I can draw from this is that I'm not the only one that beleives that show may be back. It was suggested by some band members intereviewed on the radio about the show.