Torchwood: Miracle Day Forums

Starz (ended 2011)

Do I need to have watched the earlier variations to understand this one?

jbart321

[1]Jun 2, 2011
    • level: 4

Or is this something totally new and easy to jump on?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kanniballl

[2]Jun 2, 2011
    • level: 18

Good question.

I don't know how they're going to handle the introduction. Considering people in the US only saw the show over "BBC America" or "the SyFy channel" (2 niche cable channels) I imagine they would try to introduce the cast and organization well enough in the first episode since Starz is involved now.

However I wouldn't be surprised if early on they make some comments about the previous seasons since some major stuff went down (people died, major events, big revelations, etc).

If you have Netflix, I believe they have Doctor Who and Torchwood on their streaming service so you can get caught up that way. There were only a handful of Dr Who episodes with Jack and one or two others mentioning Torchwood. And Torchwood was 2 seasons + a miniseries (31 episodes total). So an episode a day might get you all caught up before the show starts.

Or if you don't want to spend the time perhaps start by reading here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Harkness and then maybe follow the links to Torchwood itself.

Jack Harkness a good thing to focus on when you want to learn the show, because his character started on "Doctor Who" and then they created "Torchwood" as a spin-off starring Jack Harkness / John Barrowman. He's an interesting character with some unconventional character traits. Specifically there's also something special about him as a result of his 2nd encounter with The Doctor.

Edited on 06/02/2011 8:34am
    Edited 3 total times.

kanniballl

[3]Jun 2, 2011

To follow up...

In the past, the show wasn't something like "Lost" where if you jumped in the middle you were completely lost.

There wasn't much of a long on-going story arch like "Lost" or "The X-Files." The episodes of the first two seasons were mostly episodic.

However about 1/2 way through Season 2 big things happened. Not inter-connected-long-plotline stuff, but just big events that changed the show.

The mini-series Children of Earth was one long story since it was a mini-series. It also ended with a bang.

So it's hard to give a solid answer of "watch these 2 episodes and you'll be fine." Because when they were ending the show they were really ending the show.

Edited on 06/02/2011 8:45am

jbart321

[4]Jun 2, 2011

Thanks for all of the info. I really appreciate it. I'm definitely watching it even if I don't get caught up in time.

rfresa

[5]Jun 6, 2011
    • level: 8
    I'm pretty sure that with such a new audience and network, they'll introduce everything from a new perspective. "CIA Agent Rex Matheson" will be the audience surrogate like Gwen was at the start of Torchwood. Jack's secrets were dramatically revealed in that show, and I think they will be again. I hope it will be true to the spirit of Doctor Who as most of Torchwood was (my opinion is that Children of Earth was not). If you like it, and really want to appreciate the background, I would recommend starting with Doctor Who season 1 (the 2005 series), and watching all of that show and Torchwood, but I don't think you'll need to. I started watching Torchwood a few years ago, and then got hooked on Doctor Who, which is great fun, and have now watched all of it, its spinoffs, and some of the original series, which is less action-packed but still fun. It's a very rich universe, and well worth the time to get invested.

CiaraPearson

[6]Jun 9, 2011

I am a tad curious if Torchwood is going to maintain the same level of sexuality it had on the BBC. I only watched the first season of it and decided not to come back for seconds. It seemed a little racier than something that could be broadcast in the states. But if it's going to be on cable, not on channels like CBS or ABC, I suppose that wouldn't matter as much.

EmilieOakes

[7]Jun 9, 2011
    • level: 3
    Because its being aired in america for a new fan base I'm going to say probably not, you might miss a few things that older fans will get but overall they want to make this friendly to newcomers. I'd suggust watching the previous seasons just because I love the show and I think you will as well but most likely it won't be necessary to understand Miracle Day.

Do you watch Doctor Who? If so you'll defiantly be fine to just jump in, if you don't I'd suggest watching that (its amazing)

Rachaelma

[8]Jun 14, 2011
    • level: 5

Hey Guys,

If you are new to the show I would sugest to watch season 1,2 & 3 so you get a understanding of the cahracters and how they came to be Torchwood and these season's have a back story to each episode as some are based on the actors who play the characters to what happened in their previous life to how they became a teameber of Torchwood.

So yes to watching the seasons Because if you don't then you will be toatally confused.

kanniballl

[9]Jun 16, 2011

-EDIT-

Oops somehow I read a previous post saying that since it's America they would water down the adult content as opposed to because it's America they will introduce it well.

But I might as well leave the original post as it might give some insight to our friends across the pond.

-------------------------

Normally I'd agree, but Starz a Premium US cable channel: a channel you have to pay extra just to get as opposed to a regular cable channel that just comes in 1 gigantic bundle along with 1000 others.

The TV shows on premium cable channels go full throttle on stuff. Nudity, adult jokes, cursing, violence, whatever the show dictates. There are pretty much no FCC guidelines and they just air the shows in the evening (9 or 10) so even the parents can't complain about the crazy stuff that's on.

Read up on shows like: Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, Weeds, Rome, DeadWood, etc.

If it was Network or even regular Cable, then yes. It would be quite tame.

Honestly, with few exceptions, I tend to enjoy the premium cable stuff the most. They get to do whatever the frell they want without worrying about parent groups, the FCC, or being a "mainstream" hit.

Edited on 06/16/2011 1:31pm
    Edited 4 total times.

karlandi

[10]Jul 9, 2011
    • level: 7

jbart321 wrote:

Or is this something totally new and easy to jump on?

After seeing the first episode, I can tell you that you can just jump right in without seeing Dr Who or old Torchwood. They do a good job reintroducing the main players for new viewers. I still HIGHLY recommend watching Dr Who and BBC Torchwood as a previous poster recommended.

As far as the "raciness" of the show, the first episode was definitely "PG" as it contained no nudity and only mild language and violence (TBH it didn't need any).

Edited on 07/09/2011 7:16am

CharlotteArch

[11]Jul 9, 2011
    • level: 2
    It would help. The story makes sense without having watched Torchwood before now, but there are things in the first episode that make a lot more sense if you have watched the original series, and there are several "in" jokes or references. Torchwood itself, it's development (which actually happens in Doctor Who), who Jack Harness is and why it's significant that *he* is injured and hasn't healed (both of which originate in Doctor Who as well), why Gwen and Rys and their baby are hiding in the backwoods of Wales, who Dr. Owen Harper is, what "retcon" is, what "456" is... and even "who has the technology" to cause Miracle Day... are all questions which are answered in the original series or which are carried over into the original series by Doctor Who.

princessleia77

[12]Jul 9, 2011
    • level: 26
    karlandi wrote:

As far as the "raciness" of the show, the first episode was definitely "PG" as it contained no nudity and only mild language and violence (TBH it didn't need any).

Apparently the UK version will be different. Space Channel in Canada aired the UK version of the episode tonight, and they're going to air the American version on Tuesday. Judging by my tv guide, the Tuesday airing is going to be 5 minutes shorter, so maybe some things got cut out of the US airing.

Boomer76

[13]Jul 9, 2011

princessleia77 wrote:
    karlandi wrote:

Apparently the UK version will be different. Space Channel in Canada aired the UK version of the episode tonight, and they're going to air the American version on Tuesday. Judging by my tv guide, the Tuesday airing is going to be 5 minutes shorter, so maybe some things got cut out of the US airing.

That would make no sense. Starz behind Torchwood is a premium cable channel that shows plenty of violence and nudity otherwise. Just take a look at their Spartacus show. We will just have to watch episode two to see if the show gets edgier in any way.

chaznet

[14]Jul 10, 2011
    • level: 11

You get the gist of it without having seen Torchwood. I watched much of the earlier episodes, but eventually lost interest in the show. I found you had to watch 10 mediocre and bad episodes for every good one, none of it great. My first impression of the first episode of this new one is that it'll be about the same.

Jemadari

[15]Jul 10, 2011
    • level: 12

Just got around to watching and you don't need to watch the previous episodes but it helps to understand little things not entirely germane to the story.

Just one thought does anyone else feel that Torchwood has gone "commercial" (for lack of a better term)

Mekhi Phifer's character is way too intense

Rhys is still an unrepentant chauvinist

and I dont see the purpose of the deathrow guys storyline

Boomer76

[16]Jul 10, 2011
    Rhys is super annoying I gotta agree with that. I hope that character goes away

kanniballl

[17]Jul 11, 2011

Jemadari wrote:

Just got around to watching and you don't need to watch the previous episodes but it helps to understand little things not entirely germane to the story.

Just one thought does anyone else feel that Torchwood has gone "commercial" (for lack of a better term)

Mekhi Phifer's character is way too intense

Rhys is still an unrepentant chauvinist

and I dont see the purpose of the deathrow guys storyline

Death Row guy apparently becomes a key player, I think some of the preview commercials show that he becomes a religious leader due to people seeing his "salvation" being an act of God. Wasn't he one of the first known survivors of the "event?" I imagine he eventually becomes either an antagonist or a protagonist to the newly-formed Torchwood group.

I agree that you don't need to watch the old show to know what's what. They do a well-enough explanation of what Torchwood did and that a controversial event a short while ago led to its destruction.

But a passing familiarity would help, like knowing about Jack's ability / backstory. It puts the final scenes into context.

kepa55

[18]Jul 12, 2011

After watching the premiere, I think it might even be better not to watch the previous seasons. I saw those just a month ago (so everything is pretty fresh in my mind), and the constant recapping started to annoy me - Torchwood was explained at least three times and the name Torchwood was said maybe 100 times. The only think new viewers might be confused with is why Jack's injuries are such a big deal at first, but that's explained pretty well before the end of the episode.

tommy0122

[19]Jul 14, 2011
    • level: 12
    CiaraPearson wrote:

I am a tad curious if Torchwood is going to maintain the same level of sexuality it had on the BBC. I only watched the first season of it and decided not to come back for seconds. It seemed a little racier than something that could be broadcast in the states. But if it's going to be on cable, not on channels like CBS or ABC, I suppose that wouldn't matter as much.

Probably not, at least the gay stuff. If they do, I'll quit watching it like I did the BBC version. Nothing against gays, but I really don't need to see that much of it.

Nordan123

[20]Jul 18, 2011
    • level: 6

kepa55 wrote:
    the constant recapping started to annoy me - Torchwood was explained at least three times and the name Torchwood was said maybe 100 times.

The problem is noone outside Torchwood gets it right,their wrongful explanations of Torchwood annoys me more. Heroes just never get recognition these days.